Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Banned
    Overall activity: 1.0%

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

How to( Customize your System ui (change icons and colors ) For advanced users .

Ok Thought i would share a fairly easy Customization Process

what you will need
    1 a rooted phone
    2 file manager (prefer root explorer)
    3 Desktop computer with the fallowing software
    a. 7 ZIP (or any program to work within a zip file without extracting it )
    b. editing software such as photo shop or paint shop gimp.. (To work with.png files.

Ok to begin with BACKUP UP YOUR PHONE FULLY.I recommend doing this only if you have CWM or another way from pre boot to restore your device. Such as fast-boot knowledge and files needed. If you do brick your phone im NOT responsible.

The system ui app in your phone is the user interface. what you see and touch. All the icons in your notification try and so on. You can edit these with the instructions below. AGAIN BACKUP SAVE ORIGINAL. NEVER EDIT ORIGINAL ..

First
    from your phone
    go to system /app folder.Using a r/w file browser
    copy the systemui.apk to a folder we will use /download
    Second .
    Create a folder on your computer c/system ui
    in that folder create a folder Original and another called edited
    looks like this ... c:/ system ui
    original
    edited
    Third .. Copy the file system ui from the Devices download folder and place in the original folder at c:/system ui/original.
    4th copy the file system ui from original and place in the edited folder .
    you will have this structure
    c:/system ui/original/systemui.app
    edited/systemui.app
    the above is for backup purposes yes its redundant .

what we will work with is the edited folder ONLY. Inside that folder create a folder called workspace
    NOW OPEN 7 ZIP.. browse to the edited/system ui.
    open the file in the 7 zip file browsr . DO NOT EXTRACT IT!!!1
    in there you will see folders. i suggest you browse around in them and get yourself with where you find the icons and so on.
    Once you decided what you want to change and edit. COPY THE FILE Containing the icons you want to change out of there.. copy and past it to the workspace folder. Close the 7 zip..
    open the 7 zip . find the icon you wish to edit. copy it out of that folder to a place you want to work on it with. This will keep from confusion. Remeber that icons have different states and many have up down on and off files. as well as files for effects such as glow and so on.
    I suggest you edit one file at a time at first and see the changes you do. Say use photo shop to change color.
    Pay close attention to file name file size these have to match the original . if you use a different file size it will look bigger or smaller and could cause framework issues once back on the device.

Once you have edited the file..
    go back to the /edited/systemui.app and open it with 7 zip (again do not extract or decompress this file)
    In another window open the workspace folder then the folder you pulled out of the the system ui .app
    Copy the edited file.. and past it into the edited/system ui.app . you will get a already exist tell it to replace. or add to zip. (the message depends on zip program)
    once this is done
    put this edited system ui file back to the phone ..
    then copy and paste it back back into system/app folder . (use must use a r/w file manager again) it will overwrite the original.. say yes.
    Now this willl crash your system ui .. At this point reboot the phone by holding the power button. The phone will reboot. If you edited exactly as above you will see your changes .
    I have been doing this for years on my android devices .If you follow the above instructions you will have no issues. If you do happen to get stuck in boot loop . boot into cwm and run restore of the backup you done in step one.
    If you are on the ics boot-loader you can restore with the PST Software. only solution i know of at this time..
    Good Luck . hope this is understandable i will update it when i have time to make it more structured as well as add how to edit the xml files to change behavior .

Thanks Everyone enjoy.. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Jan 2001
    Phone
    MB886 & M886

Nice tutorial

Banned

Here is a sample of my home screen ui made with the above. Notice the notification bar and status icons at the top. Im using the stock phablet interface modified by me to better fit my personality. This is on Android 4.1.1 jelly bean os.

Message Sent from nexus 7 tablet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1348261443545.jpg  
    Last edited by ericarenee; 09-21-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Overall activity: 83.0%

Quote Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
    Once you have edited the file..
    go back to the /edited/systemui.app and open it with 7 zip (again do not extract or decompress this file)
    In another window open the workspace folder then the folder you pulled out of the the system ui .app
    Copy the edited file.. and past it into the edited/system ui.app . you will get a already exist tell it to replace. or add to zip. (the message depends on zip program)
    Ok, Im just a little confused. Dont have to explain to me everything again. Just a confirmation on if I am understanding it right or not. So you open the 7zip program, go to the edited/systemui.app and open it, this is where yu first get the things yu wanna edit. Then yu open the edited/workspace in a new window (not 7zip, just normal). Copy and paste the things from edited/workspace to the /edited/systemui.app in the 7zip window. A message will pop up that the file exists and etc...etc... correct?

Banned

Updated information

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Perez View Post
    Ok, Im just a little confused. Dont have to explain to me everything again. Just a confirmation on if I am understanding it right or not. So you open the 7zip program, go to the edited/systemui.app and open it, this is where yu first get the things yu wanna edit. Then yu open the edited/workspace in a new window (not 7zip, just normal). Copy and paste the things from edited/workspace to the /edited/systemui.app in the 7zip window. A message will pop up that the file exists and etc...etc... correct?

Yes . you are correct
    what you are doing is working from a copy of the system ui file. i used a folder called edited for the copy im making changes to. and workspace is where i put the exact file im working on that is yet complete..
    so open two windows .. one with the 7 zip with the edited system ui file.
    second with the empty directory workspace.
    Browse the open zip to the folder/ icons you want to make changes .. copy them and past into the workspace file.. Then make changes to the files in workspace.
    Once you have done so Paste them back into the edited/systemui file keeping structure and file names EXACT. once you do this click save and it will ask you to either overwrite files and add to zip. Say yes. If you do not understand how to work within zipped files . 7 ZIP HAS great instructions.
    you can name the folders .. (edited workspace) what ever you like. the above is just how i work with projects . As i actually do work with quite a few. Just nothing really worth reporting or sharing.

hope this is not to complicated.
    The key is keeping structure and file names. as well As never unzip or expand the systemui.app .. you must pull the file edit and put back...
    OK one more thing. the original system ui file . Is For backup. just in case you make a mistake and need to reload it.
    Erica

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

You are basically copying files Out of a zipped / compressed file.. 7 ZIP works will with . app files winrar will corrupt. Then making changes to the files and placing them back where you got them without Unzipping/ uncompromising the file .

a google seach for working within compressed files might be easier to explain this then i can.. Its a simple process but hard for me to put to words Sorry ..
    Last edited by ericarenee; 09-22-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: FIXED TYPO And added extra information

AWSEOME!! I got it to work. Thanks Erica. Optional question: How come the battey icon is not in the System UI app?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Perez View Post
    AWSEOME!! I got it to work. Thanks Erica. Optional question: How come the battey icon is not in the System UI app?

ahhhhh ..

those are in ../system/framework/framework-res.apk... Look in here .. same process as above.
    If you did some in the others screen shot what you have done. we all wanna see them

you can mod nearly all files.. Just be sure to change the icons that represent your screen size. I have a text file on my other computer as to which ones for what os. If i can find it tomorrow i will post it here.. Its unlimited to what you can change..

Remember backup backup and backup.. and Please hold me not responsible if you mess up or brick
    Last edited by ericarenee; 09-22-2012 at 09:30 PM.

ahhhhh ..

those are in ../system/framework/framework-res.apk... Look in here .. same process as above.
    If you did some in the others screen shot what you have done. we all wanna see them

you can mod nearly all files.. Just be sure to change the icons that represent your screen size. I have a text file on my other computer as to which ones for what os. If i can find it tomorrow i will post it here.. Its unlimited to what you can change..

Remember backup backup and backup.. and Please hold me not responsible if you mess up or brick
    Yeah, Ill post some pics. Thank yu for yur help. Right now my phone is not working so well so I cant download anything from the Google play store, and i don't have an app to take a screen shot. But ill post stone as soon as i get it fixed.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury ICS

Can someone post the original battery and cell signal icons? I was using rom toolbox to do this and unfortunately I can't see boot animations anymore..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Griego View Post
    Can someone post the original battery and cell signal icons? I was using rom toolbox to do this and unfortunately I can't see boot animations anymore..
    what version of android are you running.It must be from exact just in case from work was changed. If you are on a custom rom you can d/load that on your computer unzip it and pull them out from there ...
    if you have ics i can get them for you this afternoon.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury ICS

what version of android are you running.It must be from exact just in case from work was changed. If you are on a custom rom you can d/load that on your computer unzip it and pull them out from there ...
    I'm running 2.3.6 stock rooted rom.

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 AM ----------

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Griego View Post

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 AM ----------

Thats simple.. Just download any of the roms you see on this forum and extract them and pull the files... No reason for me to upload this file.. You should backup before doing anything as stated in the op post...

If you do not find it let me know i will post you a link

I got another question. Yu know how when yu go to settings on ICS the Wifi & Bluetooth has that slash ON/OFF button? I noticd that in JB they had it rectangular and was wondering where can I get the images for that? I already tried the settings.apk, systemui.apk, and the framework-res.apk but couldnt find it. :/ Thanks.

Thread Information