Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Customer Since
    Oct 2010
    Phone
    HTC One V

So, im not the most technically smart person on earth, but I dont understand how something like z4 cant work. Do you think maybe Cricket or Huawei is trying to prevent rooting or something by making it difficult? I don't know, Im pretty used to rooting being simple. Call me spoiled, haha

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Theres some pretty talented people working on this rooting technic, like everything else they just need the right info and time. So, we may be waiting a little bit but im sure the'll crack it soon. Like I've said in other forums, I have the mercury as well and I am willing to provide whatever is needed to get this ball rolling. So if there is anyone out there that needs a little more info hit my inbox and Ill get you what ever is needed.

Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by ciabatoni View Post
    Theres some pretty talented people working on this rooting technic, like everything else they just need the right info and time. So, we may be waiting a little bit but im sure the'll crack it soon. Like I've said in other forums, I have the mercury as well and I am willing to provide whatever is needed to get this ball rolling. So if there is anyone out there that needs a little more info hit my inbox and Ill get you what ever is needed.

I think what we're doing so far is a good start. We're letting people know what doesn't work and giving them a place to start. Once a dev gets on board this should save them some time.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    Galaxy S3

Sure Hope rooting is successful soon. I just upgraded from a Zio to the Mercury, all I can say is wow, what a friggin difference.

BTW: Anyone one else have issues with Widgets not loading on reboots? Once in a while mine stick but most of the time they fail as if they were installed to the SD Card.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by Cunning Linguist View Post
    Sure Hope rooting is successful soon. I just upgraded from a Zio to the Mercury, all I can say is wow, what a friggin difference.

BTW: Anyone one else have issues with Widgets not loading on reboots? Once in a while mine stick but most of the time they fail as if they were installed to the SD Card.
    Interesting username... Do you happen to know Colonel Ingus?
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Funny

Quote Originally Posted by Cunning Linguist View Post

Thats funny, Bc I upgraded from the ascend to the zio which out of those 2 they have pretty much the same processor speed but the zio always seemed faster and more smooth, after a while my ascend went to Sh!t. Now I upgraded from the zio to mercury, and like you said "WOWWWW", But yeah, I havent noticed the app load problem, but I have experienced a little freezing here and there, and I copied a file from a game called defender from the marker "Which is totally awesome" I copied my file from the zio which is on a crazy high level, and dwlded the defender app from the market and tried cutting the new app file and replace it with my old 1 from my zio, and my mercury went crazy, It was stuck in a boot loop, it kepttrying to shut down but would immediatley show the shutdown screen then the start up screen over and over, Then I relized that there were to of the same files of that game on the sd chip, However I stilled cant figure out how to get my old game progress to the MERC, and the developer wont answer any of the 7 emails I sent him, what a guy!!!

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Thats funny, Bc I upgraded from the ascend to the zio which out of those 2 they have pretty much the same processor speed but the zio always seemed faster and more smooth, after a while my ascend went to Sh!t. Now I upgraded from the zio to mercury, and like you said "WOWWWW", But yeah, I havent noticed the app load problem, but I have experienced a little freezing here and there, and I copied a file from a game called defender from the marker "Which is totally awesome" I copied my file from the zio which is on a crazy high level, and dwlded the defender app from the market and tried cutting the new app file and replace it with my old 1 from my zio, and my mercury went crazy, It was stuck in a boot loop, it kepttrying to shut down but would immediatley show the shutdown screen then the start up screen over and over, Then I relized that there were to of the same files of that game on the sd chip, However I stilled cant figure out how to get my old game progress to the MERC, and the developer wont answer any of the 7 emails I sent him, what a guy!!!
    WOW... I know if some other devs saw this, they'd probably say because you sent him 7 e-mails. Just saying...

Customer Since
    4/2008
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

I found the following on Androidforums:

*As always, no guarantees, if you brick it, well, that's a bummer*

Try hitting *#*#2846579#*#* -> project menu -> background setting -> usb port setting -> normal mode to have ADB recognize it.

I edited the "runmelinux.sh" script of the KF hack for Windows batch:
    echo "---------------------------------------------------------------"
    echo " Easy rooting toolkit (v2.0) "
    echo " created by DooMLoRD "
    echo " Modified for Kindle Fire for Linux/Mac by Max Lee at RootKindleFire.com "
    echo " using exploit zergRush (Revolutionary Team) "
    echo " Credits go to all those involved in making this possible! "
    echo "[*] This script will: "
    echo " (1) root ur device using latest zergRush exploit (10 Nov) "
    echo " (2) install Busybox (1.18.4) "
    echo " (3) install SU files (binary: 3.0.3 and apk: 3.0.6) "
    echo "[*] Before u begin: "
    echo " (1) enable "USB DEBUGGING" "
    echo " from (Menu\Settings\Applications\Development) "
    echo " (2) enable "UNKNOWN SOURCES" "
    echo " from (Menu\Settings\Applications) "
    echo " (3) [OPTIONAL] increase screen timeout to 10 minutes "
    echo " (4) connect USB cable to PHONE and then connect 2 computer"
    echo "--- STARTING ----"
    echo "--- WAITING FOR DEVICE"
    adb wait-for-device
    echo "--- cleaning"
    adb shell "cd /data/local/tmp/; rm *"
    echo "--- pushing zergRush"
    adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp/.
    echo "--- correcting permissions"
    adb shell "chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/zergRush"
    echo "--- executing zergRush"
    adb shell "./data/local/tmp/zergRush"
    echo "--- WAITING FOR DEVICE TO RECONNECT"
    echo "if it gets stuck over here for a long time then try:"
    echo " disconnect usb cable and reconnect it"
    echo " toggle "USB DEBUGGING" (first disable it then enable it)"
    echo "--- DEVICE FOUND"
    adb wait-for-device
    echo "--- pushing busybox"
    adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/.
    adb shell "chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox"
    echo "--- remounting /system"
    adb shell "/data/local/tmp/busybox mount -o remount,rw /system"
    echo "--- copying busybox to /system/xbin/"
    adb shell "dd if=/data/local/tmp/busybox of=/system/xbin/busybox"
    echo "--- correcting ownership"
    adb shell "chown root.shell /system/xbin/busybox"
    adb shell "chmod 04755 /system/xbin/busybox"
    echo "--- installing busybox"
    adb shell "/system/xbin/busybox --install -s /system/xbin"
    adb shell "rm -r /data/local/tmp/busybox"
    echo "--- pushing SU binary"
    adb push su /system/bin/su
    echo "--- correcting ownership"
    adb shell "chown root.shell /system/bin/su"
    adb shell "chmod 06755 /system/bin/su"
    echo "--- correcting symlinks"
    adb shell "rm /system/xbin/su"
    adb shell "ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su"
    echo "--- pushing Superuser app"
    adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/.
    echo "--- cleaning"
    adb shell "cd /data/local/tmp/; rm *"
    echo "--- rebooting"
    adb reboot
    echo "--- WAITING FOR DEVICE"
    adb wait-for-device
    adb install recovery.apk
    echo "All Done, Kindle Fire ROOTED!!!"
    echo "Check out RootKindleFire.com for more cool hacks!"
    I haven't tried yet. Been waiting for someone that can risk be without a phone for a while to try and report back.
    The link to the thread is -->
    here

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I can't even get the phone to show up (ADB) when in normal mode. Stock (Google) mode it does... Zerg didn't work, and I tried it using a couple of diff methods. From manual to scripts.

rom-dump

can anyone post links to romdump???(multi-upload pls)here is guide for manual root by linux-
    Article : How to Root Any Android Device Manually

hope it helps ..

ok

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    WOW... I know if some other devs saw this, they'd probably say because you sent him 7 e-mails. Just saying...
    Well I can say several things for that, I just looked at my sent box and it was 4 emails over a 11 day period. Ive been trying to get my saved progress onto my incredible 2 with no luck, and no help from the dev. However, I have my girl email hime from her account with a stupid ?, and IDK if he responded bc her email reads her name which is female, or whatever the case may be, but the dev answered within hours. NOW, I waited 3 days before I sent hime my second email. I mean really why couldnt he respond, not to mention her email was almost sent insync with my 3rd email. Thats all I really have to say, so really I dont care what he thinks, Just saying...

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Well I can say several things for that, I just looked at my sent box and it was 4 emails over a 11 day period. Ive been trying to get my saved progress onto my incredible 2 with no luck, and no help from the dev. However, I have my girl email hime from her account with a stupid ?, and IDK if he responded bc her email reads her name which is female, or whatever the case may be, but the dev answered within hours. NOW, I waited 3 days before I sent hime my second email. I mean really why couldnt he respond, not to mention her email was almost sent insync with my 3rd email. Thats all I really have to say, so really I dont care what he thinks, Just saying...
    Maybe cause her question was easy to answer. Yours might be a little more complicated to deal with. He should respond and tell you that you're SOL at least. I mean that dollar you paid on the Market or whatever must be worth at least 5 seconds of his time. I think he can get an e-mail out in 5 seconds. I'm no dev, but I know people demand a lot and try to stretch the value of a dollar out like crazy.

Customer Since
    4/2008
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by nitindeck View Post
    can anyone post links to romdump???(multi-upload pls)here is guide for manual root by linux-
    Article : How to Root Any Android Device Manually

hope it helps ..
    Trying this method now. Currently I am held up by /dev/sdc12 being mounted ro. So far, all attempts to remount as rw have been unsuccessful.

[root@lusitania media]# mount|grep c12
    /dev/sdc12 on /media/tmp type ext4 (ro,relatime,seclabel,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,dat a=ordered)
    [root@lusitania media]# umount /dev/sdc12
    /dev/sdc12 on /media/tmp type ext4 (ro,relatime,seclabel,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,dat a=ordered)
    [root@lusitania media]#

[root@lusitania media]# umount /dev/sdc12
    [root@lusitania media]# mount -o defaults,rw /dev/sdc12 tmp
    /dev/sdc12 on /media/tmp type ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,dat a=ordered)
    [root@lusitania media]# cd tmp
    [root@lusitania bin]# touch zzz
    touch: cannot touch `zzz': Read-only file system

Removing acl's and setting barrier=0 didn't help either. Haven't messed with seclabel or user_xattr yet. I don't want to have to relabel the filesystem. That could potentially cause problems (I would like to make as few actual changes to the fs as possible). Will research further.

Last edited by s23bog; 12-24-2011 at 12:09 PM.

I just rooted my mercury by moving su, busybox and superuser.apk (using a linux distro called parted magic on a USB stick while the phone is in download mode) to the appropriate places in the system partition after setting the permissions while the files were on the data partition.... the "universal method for root" works!!

I've ordered my mercury over the phone and it should get to me by tues. or weds.. I can't wait to get it, and when i do i'll be rooting it immediately. If you could just go into a lil more detail pls. i'm pretty new to rooting phones i've only rooted 1 a sanyo zio once with z4 pretty simple and i only done it one time about 3 mths ago. I really would appreciate it if you can break it down a little more. And what is the universal method? using z4 or what? Pls help me understand. I do under PC language i work on them but i'm new to this phone rooting. Thanks.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information