Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Mercury charging/battery problem

I have had my mercury for over a year now, and just now it is broken or messing up in some way. I am pretty new to this, so please excuse me if I am not following protocol or something.

I did a brief search for my problem and came up with nothing that was similar to my problem. Possible I didn't word it right, I don't know.

My phone won't charge any more. I will plug in the charger and the LED on the top right will flash red for a few minutes while it is plugged in, then after a while that will go away. I have used different cords and different power sources to charge it and it is always the same. The screen never turns on at all when I try to charge it.

The last thing that happened was it was going to die, it had the message in the middle of the screen that said the power will turn off in 30 seconds. I went and plugged it into the charger, but I was too slow and it was already starting to shut down when I plugged it in. The phone then froze on the cricket thing (or whatever) that it shows when you turn it on or off. It was still moving a little, like it normally does when you power it on or off, but it stayed like that for 10 minutes. So I took the battery out so I could boot it back up. It booted up normally and was charging normally for the rest of the night until I went to sleep, where I set it on the bed side table to charge like I always do. When I woke up, the phone would not turn on or charge and is in the same condition now.

I can't find any help on google, and didn't have much luck looking here. I would greatly appreciate any help with this, you would be my savior. Sorry for the long post. =/

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

It was determined that some of the Mercury's had a bad battery charging circuit and many phones were recalled. Did you get a text from CricKet saying your phone was available for a free replacement? Those messages went out around August/November I believe.

I would do the following: Call CricKet and ask if your phone is eligable for replacement. They might have no idea since it's a call center that handles tier 1 support, so the next step would be to find an offical CricKet corporate store in your area (they can tell you that on the phone) and see what they say.

If you bought your phone in December or early 2012 you should get the replacement. I would insist that you received a message via text and your phone is defective because of THE KNOWN manufacturer's defect.

If all that fails you could just buy another battery and try that. Some people do not charge their phone's properly and shorten the life span of their battery. I would suggest a cheap replacement either from an online retailer or from one of those kiosks in the maill where it would cost less then CricKet. CricKet might even let you try a battery to see of that's the issue but since they do not sell the phone anymore I don't know if they still carry batteries for it.

Best of luck, let us know how it turns out.

I do seem to remember getting some kind of voice mail about that several months ago. I will call and investigate, thank you for your help. I was thinking that it was a battery problem, and I found some batteries on Amazon that looked good. If Cricket will replace it, what will they replace it with? You mentioned they don't sell this phone anymore.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

They were replacing it with the same phones, ones that were good, that were pulled off the sales shelf. I'd assume they still have replacement Mercurys for people who had a protection plan, otherwise it's up to them. I don't work for them nor am I authorized dealer... just a dude with a computer, android, and too much time on his hands.

If your phone is defective a new battery may not charge at all or might have limited life. Be careful not to overcharge and always make sure your battery is low before giving it a full and uninterrupted charge for best battery life.

Ah, ok then, thanks a lot for your help. I will go to my local Cricket dealer and see what they can do. I may just get the ZTE Engage if it turns out to be too much trouble.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Not dealer... a corporate HQ store. Call and ask if you don't know. Most of those stores that are everywhere and flash phones are "authorized retailers" , no offence to the ones on this site, they are useless in this issue and will probably try to sell you something... like a car salesmen living on commission.
    Last edited by NeoZiggy; 02-07-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Yeah I went to my local store, and they did just that lol, not a car charger, but they didn't help much. I will go to the closest corporate store after the weekend.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZiggy View Post
    Not dealer... a corporate HQ store. Call and ask if you don't know. Most of those stores that are everywhere and flash phones are "authorized retailers" , no offence to the ones on this site, they are useless in this issue and will probably try to sell you something... like a car salesmen living on commission.
    i recommend an upgrade! the HTC one SV . . dual core. . blah blah blah. i love my mercury but think it will die eventualy. the corporate store should be able to get you a warranty replacement. i did one the other day, we are a "premier with service" location, where we can do warranty exchanges as well. as long as the phone is not beat to heck and cracked up it's only $10 shipping fee.

I went to a corporate store and they said that they couldn't do anything for it because it was over a year old. They gave me a $50 discount on another phone though, said it was the best they could do. I got the ZTE Engage. It has the same, if not better specs than the Mercury, so hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Thread Information