Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Thread: Mercury Ram??

Overall activity: 0%

Mercury Ram??

Ok, The Mercury is supposed to have 512meg Ram from what I have found. Can someone tell me why I only get access to 256meg of it? If i go into Settings/Applications/Manage Applications an go to Running (on the far right) it shows 104meg used and 152meg free. If I go into Android Assistant it say's I have 350.92meg Total Memory. What gives??

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Banned
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Its because of how Android/dalvik vm Handles ram and its also used by the UI AND Graphics.

my Acer a500 android tablet running 4.03 ICS. runs about 320 free and it has 1 gb ram.. With android you cant look at ram available in osame way as windows. Also DO NOT USE 3rd Party memory managers. they will fight the built in Hardware management.
    i know this is kinda vague but its quite complicated . developer.android.com.. is a place to start look for information about dalvik and memory management.
    GOOD LUCK HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL

Customer Since
    Phone
    Moto G

Yea I was a little confused by this as well, you'd think app's would show it as having 512MB TOTAL but it looks like the GPU etc get's a permanent / fixed share of that 512MB so you only see whats available for programs, which appears to be 351MB total on the Mercury.

My friends Galaxy S1 also has 512mb ram but it only shows 384Mb total ram in any given app so it's not just a Mercury thing.

Banned
    Overall activity: 1.0%

the 351 available for apps is not exactly correct.
    Android uses .. dalvik vm .. this is a place where COMMON CODE IS RUN. Android apps are written in a way as they share resources.These shared resources are Loaded at android boot. they set IDLE ON THE SYSTEM. this idle user space Dalvik is what uses most of the so called missing ram. Apps are loaded in the additional ram you see. But works mostly in the shared space. This is done in all arm bases systems. Its used for resource management. iT takes MORE POWER TO START resources then keep them running. so the VM HAS Common used resources waiting to serve your needs. this is the reason you SHOULD NEVER RUN MEMORY MANAGERS ON ANDROID. THEY MESS with the above ..
    sorry for my long winded hard to understand explanation. not always easy to get whats in my head to my fingers. GUESS ITS A BLONDE THING..

Customer Since
    July 2006

An Answer...

Quote Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
    the 351 available for apps is not exactly correct.
    Android uses .. dalvik vm .. this is a place where COMMON CODE IS RUN. Android apps are written in a way as they share resources.These shared resources are Loaded at android boot. they set IDLE ON THE SYSTEM. this idle user space Dalvik is what uses most of the so called missing ram. Apps are loaded in the additional ram you see. But works mostly in the shared space. This is done in all arm bases systems. Its used for resource management. iT takes MORE POWER TO START resources then keep them running. so the VM HAS Common used resources waiting to serve your needs. this is the reason you SHOULD NEVER RUN MEMORY MANAGERS ON ANDROID. THEY MESS with the above ..
    sorry for my long winded hard to understand explanation. not always easy to get whats in my head to my fingers. GUESS ITS A BLONDE THING..
    Great explanation. Thanks!!

Thread Information