Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

mercury and vitality make bad mp3 players.

When I plug in headphones ...either cheapirs, mid quality up to $400 triple fi 10 earphones.....there's is a white noise only when I go to mp3 player.... Even when I pause the song or stop it. Its not the mp3. What gives? To listen to my music o have up carry around a separate mp3 player....on my case a psp.... For shame sirs...for shame....and wow...any one else experience ridiculous trouble writing posts on this site? Using mercury

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

Ridiculously hard to go back and edit anything without it auto scrolling like crazy

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

English Win

thanks. was very frustrating writing the post with Swype on this mercury

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Use Swiftkey. On another note I don't have this problem with my Mercury. I use Pandora, MP3, Google Music and have not had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hyogen View Post
    When I plug in headphones ...either cheapirs, mid quality up to $400 triple fi 10 earphones.....there's is a white noise only when I go to mp3 player.... Even when I pause the song or stop it. Its not the mp3. What gives? To listen to my music o have up carry around a separate mp3 player....on my case a psp.... For shame sirs...for shame....and wow...any one else experience ridiculous trouble writing posts on this site? Using mercury

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

Ridiculously hard to go back and edit anything without it auto scrolling like crazy
    I know the sound quality through the speaker of the Vitality isn't as good as my Ascend, but I haven't tried the headphones yet. I'll need to try it out to see how it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by woodgtrplyr View Post
    Use Swiftkey. On another note I don't have this problem with my Mercury. I use Pandora, MP3, Google Music and have not had a problem.
    I think Swiftkey was my favorite keyboard. I'm currently using the stock Android keyboard and it isn't too bad. I'll probably get Swiftkey again though.

hyogen, definitely try out Swiftkey. You might like it.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

try using different methods of music playback. different mp3 player than the built-in one.

this issue exists in other smart phones apparently and with all different types of earphones...doesn't matter how cheap or expensive. you hear it less on cheapies..

Headphone Noise/Static/Hum

i've never had it happen on an iphone or the htc arrive (windows 7 phone) that had a Zune player built in...heck, even my 3 year old HTC Touch Pro 2.
    It looks like the problem is that phones are usually low impedance....

unfortunately, a different mp3 player isn't going to help with that. i'll keep trying though.

I'm testing out swiftkey. at first i didn't like it at all, but i might be getting a little more used to it. What i don't like about it is that you have to actually take the time to READ what the suggestions are gonna be, rather than just swype or use a large slideout keyboard and be confident that you're typing the right word.. I've even found autocorrect and just typing fast on a different keyboard to be more easy. However, with all the recommendations i'll give it some more time.

I don't like that you have to type out more of the word sometimes....for example, to make it plural....etc. I hope it gets much better... At least it's not frustrating the way Swype is....when it confuses short words or makes you be really accurate for some words. Swype for the most part is amazing, however. Could almost be preferred over a GOOD full keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by hyogen View Post
    this issue exists in other smart phones apparently and with all different types of earphones...doesn't matter how cheap or expensive. you hear it less on cheapies..

Headphone Noise/Static/Hum

i've never had it happen on an iphone or the htc arrive (windows 7 phone) that had a Zune player built in...heck, even my 3 year old HTC Touch Pro 2.
    It looks like the problem is that phones are usually low impedance....

unfortunately, a different mp3 player isn't going to help with that. i'll keep trying though.

I'm testing out swiftkey. at first i didn't like it at all, but i might be getting a little more used to it. What i don't like about it is that you have to actually take the time to READ what the suggestions are gonna be, rather than just swype or use a large slideout keyboard and be confident that you're typing the right word.. I've even found autocorrect and just typing fast on a different keyboard to be more easy. However, with all the recommendations i'll give it some more time.

I don't like that you have to type out more of the word sometimes....for example, to make it plural....etc. I hope it gets much better... At least it's not frustrating the way Swype is....when it confuses short words or makes you be really accurate for some words. Swype for the most part is amazing, however. Could almost be preferred over a GOOD full keyboard.
    I was listening to Rhapsody on the Samsung Vitality and it sounded fine. I was using cheap earphones from Wal-Mart. I think they were $2.50. It sounded fine. I didn't try it out with my good headphones yet.

Swiftkey got so good that I could just keep hitting the space key and it typed out my whole sentence for me, if I was saying something basic like "Talk to you later." it would type it all out. That was nice.

IPhone earphones from my brother in laws 4S = music sounds awesome.
    Blackberry earphones they gave to me = alright.
    Any other earphones and my headphones aren't as good.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk

Overall activity: 3.0%

I've noticed the same thing, using the headphone jack with any headphones I get a loud and distinct white noise when playing sound. When I pause the sound the white noise continues for a full 2 seconds before cutting off. This happens with locally played MP3's and through Pandora both the same. I get much better sound quality out of my $20 sansa clip than the mercury. This is by far the most disappointing thing for me about the mercury.

edit: An enlightening post from hyogens link about this problem.

"I too have this on my DInc, using Etymotic ER-6i earphones. The issue shows up because these headphones (as well as other popular high-end earbuds like UEs or Shures) tend to have fairly low impedance, which means (basically) that they're more sensitive and will thus produce lower-volume portions of the signal. You can fix the issue by either switching to higher-impedance headphones, or by introducing something into the signal chain that will increase the overall impedance:"

Last edited by Chronicbs; 02-02-2012 at 01:09 PM.

I've used sony sport earphones on my mercury and I haven't noticed any noise. I love the default player just wish it had locked screen controls

Just as an update, I've used my good headphones, and it sounded fine to me. Maybe I'm just not as picky as some of you.

Thread Information