Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 2.0%

Exclamation New Smartphone user, need some help

As i said i'm a fairly new smartphone user, i previously had a samsung transfix with cricket but after i lost it i decided to upgrade to the mercury. The few things i'm looking to do.

1. I want to root my phone i'm sure there is a thread on here to do so, but what i found required me to make a boot thumbdrive with linix? It seemed very complicated and was wondering if there was a simpler way.

2. I also have Muve on my plan i've gotten the SD card and am enjoying muve so far, i would like to know if there is a way that i can pull the mp3 files that i download off my phone and keep them on my pc.

3. What is something that i MUST have on my phone, i don't mean apps. Is there a rom? Some type of addon that i should be using? I understand what flashing means, and roms. But i have'nt the slightest idea on how to do this.

As i said i'm very new, i tried to root my transfix but i was'nt able to find the proper drivers to make that happen so this would be my first phone to root, yes i don't want to brick it but i have ins so it won't be a total loss. Plz don't assume that i know to much, i am savy but phones are a totaly new field for me.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

Overall activity: 65.0%
    Phone
    PAE3D, ICS Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mantia View Post
    As i said i'm a fairly new smartphone user, i previously had a samsung transfix with cricket but after i lost it i decided to upgrade to the mercury. The few things i'm looking to do.

1. I want to root my phone i'm sure there is a thread on here to do so, but what i found required me to make a boot thumbdrive with linix? It seemed very complicated and was wondering if there was a simpler way.

2. I also have Muve on my plan i've gotten the SD card and am enjoying muve so far, i would like to know if there is a way that i can pull the mp3 files that i download off my phone and keep them on my pc.

3. What is something that i MUST have on my phone, i don't mean apps. Is there a rom? Some type of addon that i should be using? I understand what flashing means, and roms. But i have'nt the slightest idea on how to do this.

As i said i'm very new, i tried to root my transfix but i was'nt able to find the proper drivers to make that happen so this would be my first phone to root, yes i don't want to brick it but i have ins so it won't be a total loss. Plz don't assume that i know to much, i am savy but phones are a totaly new field for me.
    1. Oriax's root method after using Salas' recovery

2. I have yet to find anyone that has been able to copy their muve music from their SD. (which is why I refuse to pay the extra $10 a month for DRM protected music)

3. Oriax's Revokester rom works very well for me, nubcake's iCe rom has been getting good reviews. Titanium backup is a MUST have app for anyone that is rooted and plans on playing with Roms, etc

Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

No idea about coping MP3s from the Muve Formatted SD. I'd love to get my hands on one and poke around.

You can search for and download MP3s from sites like 4shared.com and FilesTube.com over your phone. Therefore I see no reason to pay for a music service. I prefer support bands buy purchasing items from them and not their record company.
    Last edited by NeoZiggy; 06-01-2012 at 06:58 PM.

You *CANT* do the mp3 thing. If you where able to, the quality would be so bad you would PAY to not listen to it.

Sent from my M886

Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by salas View Post
    You *CANT* do the mp3 thing. If you where able to, the quality would be so bad you would PAY to not listen to it.

Sent from my M886
    Am I correct in assuming that the 2GB used by Muve is for the music files which are encrypted by Muve?

I heard that Muve is kind of a crapshoot and half the songs are poor quality. That's why I'd rather download from a site where I can see filesize and/or bitrate, or just stream from Youtube.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

there are tons of threads and posts relating to the quality of the muve music. it's equivalent a 128-256k .mp3 and uses a like codec as apples itunes.

High-Efficiency Advanced Audio Coding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dolby Pulse for Mobile

it's certainly not high def, but for the ridiculous low file size the quality is astounding. on most of the phones the sound is average-good. the files are not encrypted, but the file partition containing them is.

SANDISK SECURE FLASH MEMORY TECHNOLOGY TO POWER NEW CRICKET UNLIMITED

what is crapshoot about the service is the music available, the library is about 8-10 million songs and most of the top labels are into it, however specific artists, smaller labels, and self labeled may not be available.
    "it's not itunes, cricket didn't spend xxx million to get the Beatles"

HowStuffWorks "Why weren't The Beatles on iTunes?"

Thread Information