Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Ad2

Okay so you just got a M886 (or any android). What can you do with it?

So you just got an android phone! What apps do I get now?

A small list of my favorite really useful apps and what they do;

First install the "Amazon App Store app" this is amazons store to buy apps, but most importantly they offer a FREE APP everyday, very often this is an app you would normally have to pay for and you get it FREE!

Most of the others listed below can be had for FREE on the Marketplace.

I would also recommend replacing the standard android text messaging with an aftermarket app like
    "GoSms". The reason being is; the standard "messaging" app has several bugs, one really bad one is it routing your private text you are sending to a different contact than you intended. AWKWARD!

A good alarm clock with a lot of customization is Alarm Clock Xtreme. Who doesn't need an alarm clock that plays your favorite MP3s to get you up!

App2SD moves your apps to the SD card saving you that precious phone memory.

SeekDroid is a must have for locating that lost phone. Or spying on that person you leant the phone to...LOL

Zedge will give you FREE access to literally thousands of FREE wallpapers, and ringtones.

Games, you should check out all the Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Fruit Ninja, Roller, Paper Toss, and countless others.

Iris is kinda neat, and I could see it becoming really useful after some more development (Think Siri for the iPhone). Until then, VLingo gives you really nice voice control of your android.

SwiftKey is a great keyboard replacement, with some nice customization options.

Fake Me Outta Here is kinda neat, fakes an incoming call to get you out of those sticky social situations. Activates with shake and timer. LOL

There are scads and scads of cool apps, but I have tried to keep the list to being really useful ones.

Please feel free to share your own with everyone. Afterall that is how I found out about many of these myself.

2. Remove this advertisement.

Phone
    Samsung Indulge

Thank you soooo much!! I didn't know some of these apps existed!! The one I am most grateful is the APP2SD!!! Thanks a bunch!!!

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Ad2

No problem. Glad I could be of help.

I also like Juice Defender to increase your battery life on Androids. It has 5 preset profiles you can use straight out of the gate, but tons of customization if you are a power user that likes controlling certain aspects yourself.

If you don't like that, at least make sure to install the defacto android "Power Control Widget" and use it to manually turn on/off power sucking features that you aren't using. Poor battery life has got to be the most frustrating aspect of owning a android smartphone.

Thanks for posting.

Phone
    Samsung Indulge

I found an app today called 2xbattery. It has really kept my battery from running down today!!! This is exactly what I needed. Hope I will still want the Mercury when it finally comes out as battery life was my only complaint of the Indulge.

eliment

Zedge is awesome..thanks for sharing

And i would like to add my 2 cents...

Quadrant standard i like to use to benchmark my phone and SpeedTest to test my 3g speeds both are useful if ur phone is rooted and u tinker with it.

And also Advanced Task killer to kill off apps u arent using

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Ad2

Thank you both. I will try out both apps. I am always up for trying something like a battery saving app, especially if it works better than something I am already using. Also thanks for the post about Quadrant, I always wondered what programs people use to benchmark their phones. Now I am gonna run it on the Zio, make some notes and then when I get the Mercury I will run it on there. I am that kind of techie that likes to know what level of technology I am working with!

Overall activity: 6.0%
    Phone
    Huawei Ascend II

Anyone try out Lookout Security & Antivirus?
    Its in the app Market for free. The best thing I like about it is being able to find your cell if you lost it. It also can signal an alarm to go off when you're close. Only beef I hear is it could be a batt killer and no way to uninstall.

Overall activity: 1.0%

Customer Since
    Oct 2010
    Phone
    HTC One V

I used to use Lookout on a daily basis on my Ascend. I don't use it anymore and I download gobs of stuff from all over the web and haven't had any viruses, so from what I've seen, it's not a necessity. Just my opinion, though. It does make you feel safer, haha(:

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by jayriesaurus View Post
    I used to use Lookout on a daily basis on my Ascend. I don't use it anymore and I download gobs of stuff from all over the web and haven't had any viruses, so from what I've seen, it's not a necessity. Just my opinion, though. It does make you feel safer, haha(:
    The benefit of lookout is not the virus protection, but the built in backup for contacts and the locate your phone feature.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Phone
    Mercury M886

I love 'lookout' and can't believe no one has mentioned Pandora or Barcode Scanner!!

Thread Information