Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Exclamation Petition for kernel release

About 2 years ago, we were able to successfully spam Huawei into submission over releasing the kernel for the original Ascend. This petition was written by SeptembersRain and BlastGT over on AndroidForums, and it worked. Send it verbatim, with your signature to the email address provided, and let's see if we can't get something moving.

Email: SupportUSA@Huawei,com

I am emailing to request the release of the Huawei Mercury 2.3.7 and 4.0.1 source/kernels as specified by GPL laws on open source programming. Please grant this request, as there are many Mercury owners and developers who wish to improve their phones. Your company's continued failure to release kernel sources in a timely fashion is unacceptable, and has damaged its' reputation within the Android community. Please comply with the guidelines to which you agreed.

Sincerely,

John Blutarski

Update: Just sent the first one. Paper Cuts people, Paper Cuts...
    Last edited by Dsanders77; 07-02-2012 at 09:14 AM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Banned
    Overall activity: 1.0%

your emails are never seen. Been there done this several times...There is not enough mercury users that care about development to make it happen. SKIP ASKING HUAWEI . AND GO RIGHT TO GNU TO FILE A COMPLAINT .

Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Galaxy Admire 2

I just sent my email

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
    your emails are never seen. Been there done this several times...There is not enough mercury users that care about development to make it happen. SKIP ASKING HUAWEI . AND GO RIGHT TO GNU TO FILE A COMPLAINT .
    Not my experience. As I said, we obtained the kernel for the original Ascend within 2 weeks using this method. You don't have to be a Mercury owner to hold a company accountable.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dsanders77 View Post
    Not my experience. As I said, we obtained the kernel for the original Ascend within 2 weeks using this method. You don't have to be a Mercury owner to hold a company accountable.

And it's because of that exact same thing why Huawei DOESNT GIVE A SH** about these emails anymore. They most likely end up in the spam folder. I was there when I had my ascend1. I was there since XDA then myascend.org then prepaidandroids then unleashedprepaids.

Sent from my M886

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by salas View Post
    And it's because of that exact same thing why Huawei DOESNT GIVE A SH** about these emails anymore. They most likely end up in the spam folder. I was there when I had my ascend1. I was there since XDA then myascend.org then prepaidandroids then unleashedprepaids.

Sent from my M886
    Optimism does not appear to be your strong suit

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

i'm optimistic huaweii does not care. . since they are in imperial china. where gnu and consumer protection laws, all that fun stuff is much like a pig with wings.

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by indica View Post
    i'm optimistic huaweii does not care. . since they are in imperial china. where gnu and consumer protection laws, all that fun stuff is much like a pig with wings.
    So why go after a GNU complaint? Sounds more like Cricket itself is where we need to start focusing the complaints, or just accept that the Mercury is what it is.

So why go after a GNU complaint? Sounds more like Cricket itself is where we need to start focusing the complaints, or just accept that the Mercury is what it is.

Cricket has no control over Huawei whatsoever.

Sent from my M886

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by salas View Post
    Cricket has no control over Huawei whatsoever.

Sent from my M886
    As one of its largest retail outlets in the USA, I would beg to differ with you on that, but arguing with you is pointless.

As one of its largest retail outlets in the USA, I would beg to differ with you on that, but arguing with you is pointless.

It wouldn't matter! Cricket especially doesn't care for us anyways they will not ask for a kernel realese

Sent from my M886

Banned

the only pressure you can put on them is to get gpl non compliant suit started against them from the kernel founders themselves. But huawei will and all they have to do is say we are still working up updates and fixes. and that they will release it after there final version.

good luck .. my protest months ago got the same results

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

cricket is likely screaming at huawei to NOT Release it carriers do not want users to have root access or ability to change the devices functions at all.

I sent mine,,weather it works or not I dunno

Overall activity: 2.0%

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

cricket is likely screaming at huawei to NOT Release it carriers do not want users to have root access or ability to change the devices functions at all.[/QUOTE]

This is the exact reason why. The deal between Cricket & Huawei is that cricket handle all the warranties in house. This is why you can not send a cricket phone back for warranty to Huawei direct and if you notice they are a lot harder on exchanging Huawei phones that other brands. Think of the money they would be out if people started messing with the kernal. As soon as something went wrong customer would bring it back and say it just not on anymore and want another under warranty. As a dealer I see thing different.

Banned

i would agree with that it would cost them money. But on the other hand violation of rules is violation. Also they can leak release or get in the hands to community the Fastboot into the device with stock files to flash . or for nvidia of course NV FLASH.
    I can do a total hardware brick on my acer nvidia tablet. Connect it to my pc run the euu software and push nv flash commands then the stock acer software and all back. all Phones are UN BRICK ABLE. they all have a minimum boot logic chip on the APU . this is used by the carriers and manufactures to flash the software originally . But most manufactures do not want this in end users hand as it will mean more repaired devices by users other then having to purchase a new device. SO its a two edged sword. with the manufactures of MOST Devices holding the upper hand.
    But for the most part users do not need to be messing with these devices . But for those tech savy people we buy android because its suposed to be OPEN FOR Us to do so .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information