Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Please excuse my noob post...please

Well, this whole smart phone thing has got the better of me. I am curious if the risk is worth it for my "friend" to root his or her phone in order to tether w/o the problems that come with an un-rooted phone. Will this even work for my "friend"? And if someone could really simply explain just what is a rooted phone? I have googled it and still can't fully grasp it as a good thing or not. I want to help my "friend" make the best decision possible. Thanks and sorry

2. Remove this advertisement.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Root is super user permission. Pretend android is a windows computer. When you use a non rooted android, its like being logged in as "guest" and when rooted you are the "admin". For messing up your phone so far its very hard! But you can make a backup using the post I wrote about custom recovery for the mercury. And yes it will work to tether as long as you use an apps like barnacle or open garden.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Think of a rooted phone as you logging into windows as an administrator instead of a limited user.

And your quote-unquote friend should look in Play (the market) for something called PdaNet to tether. No need to fear, Cricket doesn't have hidden spies on websites to see who is rooting or tethering... or do they

PdaNet 3.50 - Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...n.helper&hl=en

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by salas View Post
    Root is super user permission. Pretend android is a windows computer. When you use a non rooted android, its like being logged in as "guest" and when rooted you are the "admin".
    Damn, beat me to it

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Thanks for the super fast replies. I now get how to explain rooting and I think I will like explaining this to my "friend". I appreciate the links as well. My friend never did like guest mode. Next step......my friend is not technically inclined. Will the instructions on how to root confuse my friend or is it fairly simple? Thanks again!

Banned
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Tell your friend PDA NET. (Unless its been updated is not totally compatible with all internet protocols so will not work with some secure sites. I use Wireless tether. ROOT REQUIRED.. Before you .. oops your friend roots HER phone. Make you you have a look around the Directory structure of the file system. Pay close attention to folders available.. AFTER YOU ROOT. THE NEW FOLDERS YOU SEE .STAY OUT OF !!!!!!! These are system folders and files now NO LONGER HIDDEN Or protected.

By the way is your friend CUTE. If so GET HER NUMBER FOR ME . giggles teasing of course

Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

You should read over the instructions, they are very easy.

Step one: Put on a custom recovery: http://www.cricketusers.com/cricket-...-recovery.html

Step two: Root that thing: http://www.cricketusers.com/cricket-...-recovery.html

You will need to do the recovery first, then when you reboot (as per instructions on recovery page) and are on the recovery screen follow the instructions on the Root page. It's fairly simple... just separated into two different procedures.

Please take a minute to browse the forum before asking questions. How to root the phone is the #1 topic.
    Last edited by NeoZiggy; 05-08-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
    By the way is your friend CUTE. If so GET HER NUMBER FOR ME . giggles teasing of course
    Thanks for the info. very helpful.
    BTW My friend is your avy pic or his or her twin sibling. Number on the way!.....K/J
    peace. Thanks to all again.

Banned
    Overall activity: 1.0%

kewl we will have matching Hair. Ohh wait your friend might be a relative .Us trolls are a very limited bunch .

Thread Information