Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by intovoid View Post
    Is the Kexec a real solution? From what I've read it loads a new kernel on top of the factor GB one and it has issues with newer android OS, ie ICS and JB being loaded on top of GB...???...anyway not sure how it really works but it doesn't sound as good as having an unlocked bootloader where you can flash custom roms without issue..

I would be more encouraged if we could get the password from Huawei to unlock the mercury. The question that arises is who is wanting it locked...Huawei or Cricket? Are all cricket smartphones locked?...if so, then they are the culprit that is requesting the locking of the phone..Huawei has the unlock bootloader on their website but not for the mercury which is a Cricket specific phone..
    It may sound not as good, but its better than nothing. It to bypass the bootloader for AOSP ROMs. If you get CWM for ICS you can flash another ICS ROM, but not AOSP, or kernels. Its a temporary solution.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Banned
    Overall activity: 1.0%

please forgive me if im wrong . But what little i have read about that work around does the following.
    The program is a kernel that boots after the stock kernel is booted . before the os. This puts heavy taxing on the cpu and memory assets on the device. as well as there are other issues. I think also this will ONLY Bypass a LOCKED Boot loader. as its configured to fake the boot- loader out. The mercury boot -loader is not locked. It will allow cwm recovery to be flashed . that is how the above situation works its a script that boots out of the recovery. But with the sbk secure boot loader in the mercury the script will fail because when the boot-loader / kernel checks its keys they will NOT be there and force you back to the insecure boot verification screen. This was the issue with the acer a500.. someone found a way to regenerate the constant changing boot key on each device as it boots each time . Acer used the device cpu id number with a equitation to come up with the sbk.The developers then wrote a program into the recovery and every bootable rom to calculate this new sbk and pass it to the boot- loader then it would allow device to boot. this program was called ITS MAGIC.. Written by a awesome developer and friend of mine... He is who told me to give up on merc. he does not have the phone or hours to put into it. unless i can get a sbk key from any one mercury with its serial number. then it can be overcome.. Its the same as in the new kindle fire. . IT CAN Be overcome. but takes alot of people working together. people beyond even my ability..
    hope this helps to understand this more .. If the above is wrong please explain why

Quote Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
    please forgive me if im wrong . But what little i have read about that work around does the following.
    The program is a kernel that boots after the stock kernel is booted . before the os. This puts heavy taxing on the cpu and memory assets on the device. as well as there are other issues. I think also this will ONLY Bypass a LOCKED Boot loader. as its configured to fake the boot- loader out. The mercury boot -loader is not locked. It will allow cwm recovery to be flashed . that is how the above situation works its a script that boots out of the recovery. But with the sbk secure boot loader in the mercury the script will fail because when the boot-loader / kernel checks its keys they will NOT be there and force you back to the insecure boot verification screen. This was the issue with the acer a500.. someone found a way to regenerate the constant changing boot key on each device as it boots each time . Acer used the device cpu id number with a equitation to come up with the sbk.The developers then wrote a program into the recovery and every bootable rom to calculate this new sbk and pass it to the boot- loader then it would allow device to boot. this program was called ITS MAGIC.. Written by a awesome developer and friend of mine... He is who told me to give up on merc. he does not have the phone or hours to put into it. unless i can get a sbk key from any one mercury with its serial number. then it can be overcome.. Its the same as in the new kindle fire. . IT CAN Be overcome. but takes alot of people working together. people beyond even my ability..
    hope this helps to understand this more .. If the above is wrong please explain why

Thanks for the info...I guess that's it for this phone then, except maybe gettting cwm recovery ported to the ICS build...that souldn't be too hard should it?
    I don't want to jynx myself but ICS seems to function better than GB did...everything seems to work really well even mms...

I do find this whole bootloader issue quite intriguing though..I had the day off yesterday and spent the better part of the day researching it. I'm pretty much a newb to android but I a least have some knowledge of linux and dos command line interfacing so I can at least get in there a muck around a little...

How can you easily tell if the mercury is "super-locked" and not just locked?
    Can you use adb and fastboot to tell? I got adb -devices to find the phone(good drivers loaded), then did adb reboot-bootloader and went to fastboot/bootloader screen...then when running fastboot devices I got a question mark ? So it knew there was a device there but could not identify it?... I tried fastboot oem get-bootinfo and it hung...had to ctrl c to get the prompt back...to chicken to try fastboot oem unlock but if it's a simple locked bootloader then it should be unlocked with the fastboot cmds no? If it's hard locked with and equaton or alogrithm, then we would need to Unpack, edit, and Repack the boot.img similar to this

HOWTO: Unpack, Edit, and Re-Pack Boot Images - Android Wiki

Then we could see what the scripts and programming are doing to hard lock the device...no?

Anyway, I find it odd that the mercury would have this much protection on it...I can see it on a device like the Kindle but on a little small market smartphone like the m886...I doesn't make sense...

thanks again for your input!

Banned

ok i guess you still do not understand.. You can not flash anything on this new boot-loader phone that is not signed by huawei. so cwm is not a option. Cracking the sbk is the only solution.NOT likely to happen.
    As Far as why they are doing this . Well thats quite simple. With all the big phone companies giving in to consumers by producing unlock codes for boot-loaders thru fastboot. The carriers are VERY Unhappy about this. SO huawei and other smaller companies have made a stand to increase security on there devices. This gets the big carriers to take another look at them . And gets them contracts With promise that the device will STAY LOCKED AND Secure..
    Huawei wins over more phone contracts . the carriers get what they think is a more secure network. and the USER Gets a locked device stuck with all the crap the carrier wants to push on them.. Sounds like apple alot does it not..

There is more development money spent on security on these new huawei phones then the phone design itself..Huawei does unlock phones in other countries where there are always laws and litigation about this type of thing. I think if you buy it ITS YOURS to do what you want as long as you do not harm the carrier.
    Sorry for such a far off topic post but the thread leaned to this direction as to How and why we cant get CWM on this phone
    mods remove my post if need be. .

Overall activity: 6.0%
    Phone
    Mercury

Above post makes a lot of sense..

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
    ok i guess you still do not understand.. You can not flash anything on this new boot-loader phone that is not signed by huawei. so cwm is not a option. Cracking the sbk is the only solution.NOT likely to happen.
    As Far as why they are doing this . Well thats quite simple. With all the big phone companies giving in to consumers by producing unlock codes for boot-loaders thru fastboot. The carriers are VERY Unhappy about this. SO huawei and other smaller companies have made a stand to increase security on there devices. This gets the big carriers to take another look at them . And gets them contracts With promise that the device will STAY LOCKED AND Secure..
    Huawei wins over more phone contracts . the carriers get what they think is a more secure network. and the USER Gets a locked device stuck with all the crap the carrier wants to push on them.. Sounds like apple alot does it not..

There is more development money spent on security on these new huawei phones then the phone design itself..Huawei does unlock phones in other countries where there are always laws and litigation about this type of thing. I think if you buy it ITS YOURS to do what you want as long as you do not harm the carrier.
    Sorry for such a far off topic post but the thread leaned to this direction as to How and why we cant get CWM on this phone
    mods remove my post if need be. .
    I don't see anything wrong with your post...just pretty much stating facts...the ICS port for the merc was leaked to the public from Huawei, we have root, if we can get cwm recovery like we had on GB so we can do nandroid backups and stuff, then that's prolly the best we can hope for with this device..the way things are progressing, in another year or so this phone will be old hat anyway..

Personally, it's my opinion that the mobile market is indicative of what's wrong with society these days...capitalism and greed!! When mobile devices retail for $800 and data plans are thru the roof and unfair and phones can be bricked fairly easily, then something is wrong..but I digress...

I did get fastboot to recongnize the phone with ICS...(in GB, vol - power did nothing) I had to get to fastboot/bootloader thru adb reboot bootloader....with ICS installed you can vol down + power and get to fastboot/bootloader (Huawei Logo)...fastboot devices recognized my phone and fastboot oem unlock 123456781234567 worked EXCEPT it was the wrong password and rebooted the device....so, this Phone can be unlocked with a simple 16 digit password if Huawei desides to release them for the mercury...or if somone could figure out the formula for generating said password...

Banned

this code will be your SECURE BOOT KEY , Know as in my post secure boot key. Its generated from your phones unique id code. You can get it from a dial menu sequence. it also needs your serial number. and then some equitation huawei is using.
    its likely a 20 or 30 mb binary file. with random number generation.. YEA The same type of security our government uses . Its never been beaten without a leak equation.can be bypassed with a program like the its magic from the iconia. now obsolite because acer leaked the source to boot-loader and it was then rebuilt . my acer a500 has a custom boot loader that will actually dual boot.

what im saying is the code for your device will be different then everyone else it will be likely numbers and letters and symbles Start guessing..

I don't see anything wrong with your post...just pretty much stating facts...the ICS port for the merc was leaked to the public from Huawei, we have root, if we can get cwm recovery like we had on GB so we can do nandroid backups and stuff, then that's prolly the best we can hope for with this device..the way things are progressing, in another year or so this phone will be old hat anyway..

Personally, it's my opinion that the mobile market is indicative of what's wrong with society these days...capitalism and greed!! When mobile devices retail for $800 and data plans are thru the roof and unfair and phones can be bricked fairly easily, then something is wrong..but I digress...

I did get fastboot to recongnize the phone with ICS...(in GB, vol - power did nothing) I had to get to fastboot/bootloader thru adb reboot bootloader....with ICS installed you can vol down + power and get to fastboot/bootloader (Huawei Logo)...fastboot devices recognized my phone and fastboot oem unlock 123456781234567 worked EXCEPT it was the wrong password and rebooted the device....so, this Phone can be unlocked with a simple 16 digit password if Huawei desides to release them for the mercury...or if somone could figure out the formula for generating said password...

Overall activity: 65.0%
    Phone
    PAE3D, ICS Merc

16 digits...... hmmmm..... it couldn't be that simple

i am a complete noob, but maybe the password is imei or esn of device?

we seem to be SOL then....the password seems to be generated from product s/n, product IMEI, and product ID....if you go here:

Unlock Bootloader - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

and go to the next screen the you can enter your data but its moot because the m886 is not in the drop down list selection of phones...I did enter my phones info into the 4 phones given, to no avail...so there's a different formula for each phone and they prolly keep said formulaes secure at their corporate headquarters somewhere...

interesting read on advanced bootloader locking wrt the kindle fire hd here:

New Kindle Fires are locked - xda-developers

Overall activity: 65.0%
    Phone
    PAE3D, ICS Merc

i can see how the mercury isn't on the list considering this ICS is considered "unnofficial" and technically speaking the merc is only supposed to be on GB.

BUT on the bright side, it does seem that IF the ICS update ever becomes official, at least they will allow us to unlock the bootloader
    Last edited by Rites; 09-29-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by Rites View Post
    i can see how the mercury isn't on the list considering this ICS is considered "unnofficial" and technically speaking the merc is only supposed to be on GB.

BUT on the bright side, it does seem that IF the ICS update ever becomes official, at least they will allow us to unlock the bootloader
    As much as I'd want for an official ICS update, I doubt we'll get it. Huawei will only release it if our carrier approves it and well Cricket isn't even selling Mercs anymore so I doubt they'll push the update.

Overall activity: 6.0%
    Phone
    Mercury

Yeah, I think Huawei was going to release the update as promised, but Cricket stopped them. Funny how right when Cricket started to push the zte phone, Huawei started to say that it wouldn't be an update for the Mercury.

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|

Why not try using a unlock generator? For example create a batch file that uses adb oem unlock with a random 16 digit string looping until it unlocks? Yes itll take alot of time but works. Once getting the correct 16 digit code they can send it to me so i can figure how it was generated per device's serial, meid, ect and finally create a m886 unlock tool for you guys. Id do it myself except i dont have the phone and cant afford one like last time i helped you guys out. But then again, thats just what I think could work.
    Add me on Facebook.com/oriax123

If I helped you, please click '*' at the bottom left of that post.

Banned

i have one that is working on the g300 huawei phone but have not been able to get it to work yet . its written in c .
    and does work with many other huawei phones.. you can find it on the net if you look for huawei boot-loader unlock or something similar..

I think the key to unlock has to be used by a special program or script that contains the encryption file . the one for my acer a500 like i said above is over 30 mg.. there is no way a key gen can crack that. the ms key is only like 5mb... and no I never crack software to steal it.. I used to own a computer repair store . its amazing how many people loose there passwords... most can be found with right parameters and a reg scan..
    wow the old days was a blast..

That's a good idea except when you run the
    "fastboot oem unlock <password>" cmd
    if the password is incorrect the phone displays that on the screen with a warning symbol and then reboots itself into android...
    so it would take too long...

Hey wait a minute...if the phone knows the password is wrong, then somewhere in the boot.img is either the password or a script to check if its right..so an unpacked boot.img could potentially be hacked to find the password or the equation that generates it...unless it was encrypted or something..
    Last edited by intovoid; 09-29-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information