Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Thread: Review Mercury

Overall activity: 0%

Review Mercury

I will be posting my review of the mercury for the next week. So far its looking about midway. If you wish me to review anything particular let me know.

Stock Review-
    Straight to the point. So far do not buy this phone if you are looking for something with quality and speed in mind. The price at $249.00 is a little step for this foreign phone in my opinion specially when there are used phones and some new phones for the same price that will perform much better.

Modify Review-
    If you plan on modifying this phone, it may be phone for you after all. This phone has potential sadly the support for it is lacking. With a good developer behind it using is powerful cpu this device could in fact be a great device. Only wish it didn't have that cheap plastic glass

3 out of 5 Star rating.

Pros:
    • Light weight
    • 8MP Camera
    • Front Camera
    • Decent 4" Display
    • Decent Stock SMS Tones.
    • One of the better 4-way lock screens.

Cons:
    • Feels cheap / cheap plastic glass
    • Notice the edge is sharp around the rear camera display
    • Power button is on the wrong side in my case. Should be on the right not the left.
    • Home button in the wrong place, Menu, Home, Back, Search should be the standard why change it.
    • Smudge magnet.
    • Texting on this phone is horrible, sorry to say it but it is. The text response from the device is great, but its judgment on where you place or tap is very very tight. Unlike most phones that are more relaxed at your typing skills, this device you must be precise.
    • 3G and WIFI. This is the biggest con on the device and a huge let down. The device takes WAY to long to actually get any connection to wifi or 3G. Ill have an icon for 3G and or wifi and still no internet. I've had up to 30 mins earlier to day before my internet actually worked.

I have more to add. This is just a quick review from what i can remember these last few days.
    Last edited by amoamare; 03-31-2012 at 10:01 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    Ascend, Rom CM7.2

thanks for the info

So in your opinion what's a solid alternative spec wise ?, I've been looking at the 3vo,epic touch and bionic

Currently right now the droid razr / all though it lost 1/2 star because of battery / locked bootloader is a solid alternative. Verizon did the whole buy one get one free and there are ton's on are local ads that range from 200-300. Honestly it is one of the most solid phones i have used to date.

Phone
    Ascend, Rom CM7.2

Thanks, nice work with the iPhone btw

Banned
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Maybe you should return your Mercury.. You do not have the same phone in your review that i have in my hand..

My phone has SOLID REAL GLASS (NOT PLASTIC)
    my wifi and 3g radios are solid and hold great signal (most devices even higher end ones have huawei radios)
    Battery life is awesome on this phone. I can go two days without charging it. with Average use .
    The UI and interface is fluid like. I do not like the AHOME LAUNCHER . GET GO LAUNCHER OR LAUNCHER PRO. big improvement.

the bad ..
    cheaply attached back cover.
    ambient sensor does not work well (on my phone anyway) i hear this can be hit and miss on all devices
    The SD Card location is a sick and crewel joke.. (engineer was drunk when made that decision)
    To much huawei bloatware and crap on the phone. (easly fixed ) Pull your rom and work some magic in CYGWIN ROM KITCHEN.
    I ALSO AGREE that for me being left handed the vol buttons should be on the other side and also a bit smaller or harder to push the way they are part of the case id VERY CHEAP..

i LIKE the speed and performance of the phone I love the battery life.. I DISLIKE THE PHONES CASING .
    And so wish huawei would push ics to us or the c88603. then we will have ICS . ics will make this phone run twice as fast.

thanks for your review

Customer Since
    Nov 2009
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

I love my Mercury Phone:

Pros:
    Gorilla Glass
    Long lasting battery
    8 MP Camera with Flash
    Front Camera
    Fast CPU and Performance

Cons:
    Back Cover (I absolutely hate it, i like the textured carbon cover better)
    Video Recording (The Audio Codec needs to be fixed on the microphone so we can have high quality recording, but overall, video quality is ok, Recording needs to be fixed, it should be an easy fix i think.)
    Bloatware (can be disabled)
    Huawei Launcher (just plain absolute crap)
    512 MB of RAM

There's some disadvantages, it may not be a perfect phone, but is a phone that people can actually use without millions of problems.

Honestly coming from a Droid Bionic this phone has no loss in speed compared to the Bionic. The drop in virtual memory does have an impact with game performance and multitasking but as long as your aware of what your phone is going 512 is doable. Build quality does seem cheap but bear in mind how incredibly light this phone is. Battery life for me is pretty sorry but that is due to my area of 3G coverage. When I'm using wifi my phone will go forever. As a power user I definitely do NOT regret my decision to purchase this device. Overall I'd rate it a 8.5/10.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk

Customer Since
    Phone
    Moto G

Im happy with the Mercury I just wish they would fix the audio quality when recording video, it's currently the biggest con for me, I haven't had any issues with 3G/Wifi other than the usual midway 3G performance from Cricket (not the mercury's fault) but as mentioned above using Wifi and especially after disabling Wifi Sleep makes the battery last at least 3 times longer.

Edit: also the voice to text feature is broken on the Mercury if there's any kind of backgrund noise, It works indoors but wont work at all when driving, I've read Mercury's that ship with android 2.3.6 have this fixed but not 100% sure. (I'm on 2.3.5)
    Last edited by Mathesar; 04-01-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
    Im happy with the Mercury I just wish they would fix the audio quality when recording video, it's currently the biggest con for me, I haven't had any issues with 3G/Wifi other than the usual midway 3G performance from Cricket (not the mercury's fault) but as mentioned above using Wifi and especially after disabling Wifi Sleep makes the battery last at least 3 times longer.

Edit: also the voice to text feature is broken on the Mercury if there's any kind of backgrund noise, It works indoors but wont work at all when driving, I've read Mercury's that ship with android 2.3.6 have this fixed but not 100% sure. (I'm on 2.3.5)
    As far as I know its fixed I was driving the other day and used voice to text for a text message and it recognized it flawlessly.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Moto G

Quote Originally Posted by scottpole View Post
    As far as I know its fixed I was driving the other day and used voice to text for a text message and it recognized it flawlessly.

Good to know, unfortunately when I called cricket about this they didn't have a clue what I was talking about, I basically asked if or when they would be updating current mercury users that have 2.3.5, It doesn't look very promising.

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|

Quote Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
    Good to know, unfortunately when I called cricket about this they didn't have a clue what I was talking about, I basically asked if or when they would be updating current mercury users that have 2.3.5, It doesn't look very promising.
    I made a stock 2.3.6 rom that you can install, I pulled it off my phone and made it flashable.

http://www.cricketusers.com/showthread.php?t=30146

Stock Rom Replacment for Mercury

Sent from my LG-G2X using Tapatalk
    Add me on Facebook.com/oriax123

If I helped you, please click '*' at the bottom left of that post.

Phone
    Galaxy S3

What I found out from emailing a Cricket corporate associate about 2.3.6 was they basicly had no idea about the upgrade tell recently
    When they started getting returns from there stores. That the phone was switching over to Telecom after using the stock task killer and after switching back to Cricket network the phone lost 3g after the switch back and that this upgrade was done before shippment from China's Telecom company
    Last edited by Android Titan; 04-01-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Overall activity: 65.0%
    Phone
    PAE3D, ICS Merc

My problem with the OP is that (my thoughts only of course) the opinion of this person seems to be based off of comparisons to the big carrier phones, which is actually quite an unfair comparison.

Of course the Merc only qualifies as an entry level android compared to phones you can get from Verizon, Sprint, etc....

But the target market for the Merc is for the prepaid market, so at 249 + tax out the door contract free and with no deposit this is actually a great phone. The average price of most of the entry level phones from the big companies if you were to buy the phone straight out without a contract usually starts at $300 anyway, but most consumers don't quite pay attention to that when they walk into those big company markets.

But let's take a look at the possible scenarios here in san antonio where I live:

I looked into Boost Mobile before I chose my Merc, and the phones that I was looking into were the Samsung Transform Ultra ($199.99) and the LG Marquee ($279.99)

Mercury has a 480 x 854 pixel display compared to the 320x480 of the Ultra or the 480x800 of the Marquee - Merc advantage
    Mercury and Marquee both have 4 inch displays while the ultra has 3.5 inch - tie Merc/Marquee
    Merc has 1.4 GHz processor compared to 1 GHz on both Ultra and Marquee - Merc advantage
    2 Gig internal storage on the merc compared to 952 MB and 1.3 Gig on other 2 respectively - Merc advantage
    512 MB Ram on Merc..... other 2 I never found info on - Leave that as undecisive
    Slide out QWERTY keyboard on the Ultra, Merc and Marquee only has touchscreen - Advantage Ultra
    8 mp (main) camera on merc, 3 and 5 mp on other 2 respectively - Merc advantage
    Video capture of 720p HD on Merc and Marquee, 640x480 VGA on Ultra - Merc and Marquee tie

Now looking at that listing, for $249 the Merc is a better deal over the other 2 phones that Boost had to offer wouldn't you agree?

So yes, compared to the big telecom companies, the Merc might not be all that great, but compared to the offerings of some of the other prepaid companies, the Merc is worth more bang for your buck

P.S. - My Merc has less problems than my friends RAZR, and in my opinion runs only slightly slower. And considering his RAZR is $599.99 without a contract, I think I got a better deal

But honestly when you compare raw specs this device is almost on par with about every top of the line device out there. The processor may be single core but that 1.4 really is quick. Sure its got half the ram of the bionic and razr but I doubt your gonna be draining 512 mbs at once. The 4 inch display is very bright and crisp as well. I came from the bionic to this and I had my bionic rooted custom roms you name it and the merc does not feel any slower even on this stock rom. Thanks for listening.

And as far as the OPs review of the wireless connection issues this sounds device specific. My wifi connects just as quickly as any and I have no issues with it. 3G cannot be reviewed agaisnt this device as that is crickets wireless service. If your in an area with poor coverage of course you will get slow connection speeds and connectivity issues.

Thread Information