Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Rooted!! Now what...?

Greetings,

I'm fairly new to rooting. Fairly new to smart phones in general actually. I'd rooted my Zio prior to taking it swimming (oops) and subsequently buying my Mercury, but it wasn't able to do anywhere near as much as as this phone and I never got beyond Overclock Widget and ES Task Manager.

Now that I've got my Mercury rooted I'd like to delve a little deeper but am not sure where to begin. What are some of your suggestions for next steps after rooting?

Ideally I'd like to make this more like a full Linux desktop and spend less time on my desktop computer. Any functionality I can move to my phone would help with this. Also I'd love anything that makes the UI prettier and more functional.

Here's my sort list of things I'd like to find if they exist:

1: Alternate launcher - I can't stand the rainbow candy coated colorfulness of the Huawei Launcher. It has the option to switch to the stock Android theme but that kills the only feature I liked about the Huawei one, that being the neat little rotating desktop. I've installed Holo Launcher Beta 4 and like it so far, but no option for the nifty 3D desktop. Also it loses my icons whenever I drag one from one page of the desktop to another and I have to enter the app drawer to get them back. What are your favorite launchers for the Mercury?

2: Task managers - I've tried several and so far have settled for ES Task Manager but none of them really do what I want. Ideally I'd like something more like ps in Linux, or the Windows task manager's process list. None of the apps I've tried so far give a complete list of running apps and services. Each one finds a couple that a previous one did not. I'd like a list of every single thing running and an option to kill it. Any suggestions?

3: Terminal Emulators - I've tried a few and don't see any real differences between them. Is there one that's better than the rest?

4: Bloatware removal - Not really an app but a lack thereof. Is there a list anywhere of all the bloatware that comes on the Mercury and how to remove it? I had the Zio lasting about 32hrs on a battery if I didn't talk on the phone much. The Mercury lasts about 16hrs. I'd love to trim this thing down to bare bones.

I suspect there are already solutions for all of these, but being new to it all I'm not sure where to even start looking. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Wrecked Johnson

1. ADW Launcher or Launcher Pro
    2. ?
    3. No difference really just your preference on interface
    4. Titanium Backup

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Phone
    iPhone 5S

You don't need a task manager. Ignore the hype, Android does this fine on its own.

@Wrecked Johnson: I'll try Launcher Pro, thanks!

@mattsledge: I want a task manager more for knowing what's running than for killing things. The killing is more for when I want to shut down bloatware without actually uninstalling it. Things like "Oh hey, I stopped using that app hours ago, why is it still running?"

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Quote Originally Posted by Ubernub View Post
    @mattsledge: I want a task manager more for knowing what's running than for killing things. The killing is more for when I want to shut down bloatware without actually uninstalling it. Things like "Oh hey, I stopped using that app hours ago, why is it still running?"
    use an app freezer instead of a task manager to shut down apps. Apps will start back up even if you kill them with a task killer, freezing stops apps until unfrozen.

Ok another question for you. Does anyone know of a free GCC make binary for Android? I'd like to work on porting an open source game to Android but don't have much time to sit at a computer for my development so would like to be able to code and compile on my phone while commuting.

Overall activity: 0%

Custom ROMs

Particularly because of your desire to remove the bloatware, you might want to look into custom roms.

Overall activity: 59.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    Particularly because of your desire to remove the bloatware, you might want to look into custom roms.
    Do you know a few.

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Modded stock ROM from oraix and nubcake...

Sent from my Merc using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the suggestions! I've got a few things to add / ask...

First I want to say that I absolutely love Holo Launcher. It's now out of beta and available on Play Store.

Next, I've found a binary of GCC for Android and it seems to work, but I'm running into problems with shell scripts and would like to run a full bash shell on here. Any ideas where I'd find something like that? I'll be googling it after I post here.

Likewise can bionic libc be replaced with the standard full version of libc?

Can /sdcard be made executable?

These are all changes that can drastically alter the way the phone works if I screw something up so I think I'd like to back it up first. Is titanium backup the program I should use for that?

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Ok I found one that looks like what I want:

[GUIDE] Full bash shell with nano, tab completion, and color over ssh - Android Forums

A couple quick questions first:

Will overwriting files in /system/etc/ with things from another phone break a Mercury? Or are they all mostly the same?

Is there something equivalent to this already for the Mercury?

Does Titanium Backup do the same thing as the CWM nandroid backup?

Since ADB doesn't work on my work computer I'll try this when I get home unless someone yells "WAIT THIS WON'T WORK!!!"

Overall activity: 3.0%

NOPE!

Titanium Backup back sup your apps.
    You can use it to also FREEZE apps, which is what I did to bloatware.
    Check out this thread: List of safely deletable stock apk's?
    List of safely deletable stock apk's?

Go to post #2 by xxnubcakexx
    xxnubcakexx outlines 13 apps you can remove.
    But, instead of deleting/removing/uninstalling, I suggest you use Titanium Backup to FREEZE the app.
    Freezing it keeps it from running. It doesn't show up in the app drawer. It doesn't consume any resources. After running your sevice safely and stable for a while, you can then decide to remove the app.

Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedFellow View Post
    NOPE!

Titanium Backup back sup your apps.
    You can use it to also FREEZE apps, which is what I did to bloatware.
    Check out this thread: List of safely deletable stock apk's?
    List of safely deletable stock apk's?

Go to post #2 by xxnubcakexx
    xxnubcakexx outlines 13 apps you can remove.
    But, instead of deleting/removing/uninstalling, I suggest you use Titanium Backup to FREEZE the app.
    Freezing it keeps it from running. It doesn't show up in the app drawer. It doesn't consume any resources. After running your sevice safely and stable for a while, you can then decide to remove the app.
    It consumes space. Freezing it is stupid unless its a misbehaving app

Sent from my M886

Quote Originally Posted by salas View Post
    It consumes space. Freezing it is stupid unless its a misbehaving app
    You could be a little more useful to the OP.
    He asked a question, i provided an answer and shared my opinion. As a veteran member of these forums, you could've done the same thing. (i call you veteran based on the amount of posts you've "contributed" here).
    You're right, it wastes space. You're wrong, it's not stupid.
    There are many legitimate reasons why someone would Freeze an app.
    Can you think of any Salas?

You may now return to your grape drank.

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 AM ----------

I knew I saw the answer for this somewhere:

Titanium Backup Technical FAQ | Titanium Track

Freezing apps is far from stupid. If you're unsure if deleting a certain app will affect functionality you can first freeze it then use your phone as normal for a few days. If you then find nothing was broke due to you freezing said app you are safe to fully delete it.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by fjosh View Post
    Freezing apps is far from stupid. If you're unsure if deleting a certain app will affect functionality you can first freeze it then use your phone as normal for a few days. If you then find nothing was broke due to you freezing said app you are safe to fully delete it.
    Thank you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information