Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Thread: Set CPU

Overall activity: 0%

Phone
    Galaxy S3

Set CPU

I saw some one (forget who) saying they use SET CPU and get better performance. I installed it, but don't see a way to overclock, so are they just setting it to "performance mode"?

I had used Supercharger script in the past, but on the new updated ROM I don't see a need for it, but would like to overclock if possible.

Just wondering if this is even worth using on the Merc...

2. Remove this advertisement.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

With no way to actually over clock the cpu, apps like this are going to do little for us. You're referring to a governor profile (balanced, power-save, conservative, & performance). What the latter in that list will do is keep your cpu at max Mhz i.e. 1401. I wouldn't recommend this setting for a default, all day profile as it will simply be draining battery faster when your phone is idle, but its gonna show little improvement to your ROM performance. Now you may very well notice some improvement with lag, and performing cpu intensive processes, but I would suggest only enabling this for specific needs. If you aren't near your charger all day long you might find yourself with a dead phone.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

there is no way to overclock the phone without a custom kernel. there is no custom kernel for the mercury yet. the governors must be built into the kernel. setcpu is doing nothing at all to your phone

Changing the governor in rom toolbox changes the CPU frequency. You have a set of frequencies built in to the stock kernel it appears. Haven't set up a real time CPU display to monitor frequency on various settings but the performance gov does push the CPU to 1200 MHz minimum.

Overall activity: 99.4%
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

i use it, but not for more speed. i use it on "on-demand" with max set at 1401 and minimum set at 368......i use it for battery performance. the way it's set up, i can usually go about a day and a half under normal usage and toggle back and forth using the "power saver" widget that is stock on the merc.

Overall activity: 7.0%

Quote Originally Posted by sportwin View Post
    i use it, but not for more speed. i use it on "on-demand" with max set at 1401 and minimum set at 368......i use it for battery performance. the way it's set up, i can usually go about a day and a half under normal usage and toggle back and forth using the "power saver" widget that is stock on the merc.
    I think that's the way it is stock

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

^ correct, on demand is default profile for the CPU. I bump mine up to performance if I'm gonna play a graphically intense game but honestly I don't even think its that necessary.

Phone
    Galaxy S3

I was thinking the same thing

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    Overall activity: 1.0%

using set cpu on a stock kernel is false information kernel will not give a application access to the cpu control binaries.the settings are just not there . The manufactures leave this out simple to avoid borked and fried devices.

I'm reading varying info on this issue, but i consider you a very credible source, so I'll take your word for it. Does this mean set cpu (ROM manager in my case) are doing nothing at all? I suspect that's the case, as i said i don't even find that profile change necessary for those games, but the app shows cpu voltage as a constant 1200 mhz on performance governor.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Moto G

Quote Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
    using set cpu on a stock kernel is false information kernel will not give a application access to the cpu control binaries.the settings are just not there . The manufactures leave this out simple to avoid borked and fried devices.
    Hmm I could tell a difference when under-clocking the CPU with Setcpu, The phone was a little less responsive, also messing with the various governors had an affect on it especially when using the "Conservative" setting (phone was more sluggish), but in the end I didn't notice any battery life gains and ended up uninstalling it.

Banned
    Overall activity: 1.0%

i think your just making ui changes ...

Explanation? I understand that without custom kernel we can in no way change the amount of power the phone takes from the battery; that this is a constant voltage no matter what state the phone is in. Does that also mean the CPU runs at constant mhz rate? Not sure what you mean by ui changes.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Moto G

Quote Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
    i think your just making ui changes ...
    I could tell the difference and know it was more than ui changes, but I ran the Linpack benchmark earlier just to confirm.

Test was ran 3 times each to help with accuracy.

1.4Ghz (Stock settings, setcpu not installed yet):

47 Mflops
    54 Mflops
    53 Mflops

Setcpu installed with Max CPU speed set to 768Mhz (Stock ondemand governor still set):

29 Mflops
    30 Mflops
    30 Mflops

Thread Information