Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by sportwin View Post
    then to fix the bad esn. one question i have is:

since i have found a few different ways to fix a bad esn, which is the best way to go about it? i will be doing it at home. i won't be bringing it to anyone or a cricket store for repair. that would be unnecessary.
    a "bad esn" means the phone has been claimed under insurance or is reported lost/stolen. This is nothing you can "fix" and it is a felony to tamper with, change, or modify ANY ESN. you will find absolutely no help on this site as it is against the forum rules to post things that break the law.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by indica View Post
    a "bad esn" means the phone has been claimed under insurance or is reported lost/stolen. This is nothing you can "fix" and it is a felony to tamper with, change, or modify ANY ESN. you will find absolutely no help on this site as it is against the forum rules to post things that break the law.
    Huh. I didn't know tampering is a felony. I don't see how if it is legally purchased from a reputable company, state side. If there were a felony involved, it would involve the sale of a"stolen" phone, not the purchase of said phone, if it is truly unknown to the buyer at the time of purchase. As for a bad esn, yes it can be repaired, replaced actually. You just needed to make sure you have a second line through the carrier for a phone that's not being used. As such, i will make sure to find my information elsewhere as it appears that people may find it offensive too what i am doing, which btw, i assure you is totally legal.

James

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

ESN Altering is Illegal… Read FCC Section 22.919 and 01-153-A

http://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/consum...phonefraud.pdf

Cell Phone Fraud

i am not at all offended. just stating the facts. and if you ask on this site you may get the ban-hammer.
    again CHANGING, TAMPERING WITH, CLONING, ANY ESN WITHIN THE USA IS ILLEGAL.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

ESN Altering is Illegal… Read FCC Section 22.919 and 01-153-A

http://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/consum...phonefraud.pdf

Cell Phone Fraud

i am not at all offended. just stating the facts. and if you ask on this site you may get the ban-hammer.
    again CHANGING, TAMPERING WITH, CLONING, ANY ESN WITHIN THE USA IS ILLEGAL.
    I understand what you're saying....i respect that. Also not trying to get banned :-) which was why i said what i said. I do however know for fact that ownership is still, under all circumstances, 9/10 of the law. I would pull the tags off of a mattress, or de-vin a car, for racing purposes only. That being said,i am looking at this phone as, "off road racing only!" So, no offense here either. I would never race my daily driver, just as i would never mod my daily phone to that level. Just to be clear, I am not talking about "removing" the ESN/MEID sticker. Legal or not, it's pointless to do so, plus there are certain circumstances when you NEED some or all of those numbers, just like the automobile vin has information relevent to that specific car.

...the devil is always in the details! :-)

Last edited by sportwin; 08-25-2012 at 05:26 AM. Reason: because i can, plus my response was.....flawed :)

Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

to me it is all very clear and well spelled out. customer claims phone as lost/stolen, gets a new phone, and sells old one on e-bay. that is obvious insurance fraud. and to be even more clear the articles i linked were not at all about a silly little sticker, they were about the ESN coded into the phones software. you can rip the tag off all the mattresses you own, you cannot rip it off the ones at the store. and yea you could be facing a felony if you tamper with your VIN.

Criminal Resource Manual 1364 Altering or Removing Motor Vehicle Identification Numbers

18 USC 511 - Altering or removing motor vehicle identification numbers - Crimes and Criminal Procedure - US Code

the #1 reason for these laws is to prevent fraud. that phone you have with a "bad esn" is the property of the insurance company.

Last edited by indica; 08-25-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

All this bickering about what anyone thinks is (il)legal aside, I have since found out important information. by making a couple calls and a super easy reverse number search(i have been a member for some time now) i found who owned it, when they sold it, how much the unpaid balance to cricket is (p.s. It's not fraud. It was someone who defaulted on his bill, then sold the phone to an online recycler because they offered him more than a pawn shop. This man is legit as well as the company i bought the phone from. I was able to contact all the people involved this morning. Yay! A quick three way call to cricket...$53&odd change later and a thanks to all parties involved. How's that for a legal way to do it? So a two month old merc for a grand total of $135 and two and a half hours of my time....nice!

Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

p.s. It's not fraud. It was someone who defaulted on his bill
    you don't get a bad esn if you 'default on your bill'. cricket does not blacklist your esn if you don't pay your bill. the only way to get a "bad esn" with cricket is to report a phone lost or stolen. there is a lot of misinformation floating around. whoever told you it was because of an unpaid bill is lying.

1-800-cricket will verify this statement. my guess is that you got a phone that was still attached to an account, if the phone is on an account you cannot put it on another account. whoever you called probably just cancelled the account, and took your money or they paid off what the other guy owed on his bill and put your name on it. . . . your phone never had a "bad esn"

my corporate contact told me in order to remove a phone from the esn blacklist it will take an act of god.
    Last edited by indica; 08-25-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

you don't get a bad esn if you 'default on your bill'. cricket does not blacklist your esn if you don't pay your bill. the only way to get a "bad esn" with cricket is to report a phone lost or stolen. there is a lot of misinformation floating around. whoever told you it was because of an unpaid bill is lying.

1-800-cricket will verify this statement. my guess is that you got a phone that was still attached to an account, if the phone is on an account you cannot put it on another account. whoever you called probably just cancelled the account, and took your money or they paid off what the other guy owed on his bill and put your name on it. . . . your phone never had a "bad esn"

my corporate contact told me in order to remove a phone from the esn blacklist it will take an act of god.

apparently, it wasn't technically "bad esn" as listed on ebay, but a "locked esn." i called 1800CRICKET on three way, with the previous owner. that person had defaulted at the end of july, creating the $53 dollar past due amount, which "locked" the esn. he told me he had switched to sprint because of not-so-good connections and simply traded the phone into sprint to get a better phone and just never paid the bill. once i got that information, and we called 1800CRICKET, the cricket representative simply put me on hold, verified his account info., put him on hold and took my credit card payment(with his authorization), then brought us all back into 3way, thanked us for the payment and i was told to bring the phone to cricket to be flashed properly onto my account. as such i was told to consider the phone "unlocked" and he was told to consider his account now closed. that was it. nobody stole my money. thank you for your concern about legalities, but i am at the cusp of 40 years old. i kinda have a clue or two how to get things done. that is why i am an aquisitions manager for my hospital. i actually go out and actively search out "preferred" clients/patients that we accept for our particular behavioral health unit. still, thank you. there were a few things in your reply that struck me as "odd" in the wording of the mobile electronics law. this, in turn, got me to sit back and think if there was maybe a safer alternative to getting what i want. so, thank you.
    one more thing though....removing a vin is not an automatic criminal act. you seemed to have overlooked my statement about "off-road use only." if removing a vin is an automatic criminal violation, then i could see thousands and thousands of racers in almost every sanction, from NASCAR all the way down to M4 class rallycross cars(which is what i do-not going to say i win alot-or ever, for that matter) being detained in what would HAVE to be the single largest court issued wants and warrants movement this country has ever seen! however, it is a kick in the butt, even if i don't win!!! what can i say, these guys and some gals are damned good! none-the-less, i agree, there is a lot of mis-information going around. not just here, but everywhere in the world. the web is, to me, a gathering place for all types of people, however benign or malicious they may be.

no matter what, all's well that ends well!

james

Banned
    Overall activity: 1.0%

if the above is all correct then you did this the right way and paid the balance on the account in Question.. the reason esn is locked is for lack of payment and stolen phones .. of course warranty replacements ...If your phone was stolen you would not want someone who took it to be able to just sell it or use it . You would hope it was useless brick.... esn locking does this.. but its like a lock on your front door . does not keep the real criminals out.. only keeps somewhat honest people honest...... lowers temptation...

Our society is so currupt with the lack of morals and honesty this alone is what will doom society if we do not put this back into our CHILDREN... IF ITS NOT YOUR OR BREAKS RULES DO NOT TOUCH IT...

Overall activity: 92.0%
    Phone
    Mercury M886

apparently, it wasn't technically "bad esn" as listed on ebay, but a "locked esn." i called 1800CRICKET on three way, with the previous owner. that person had defaulted at the end of july, creating the $53 dollar past due amount, which "locked" the esn. he told me he had switched to sprint because of not-so-good connections and simply traded the phone into sprint to get a better phone and just never paid the bill. once i got that information, and we called 1800CRICKET, the cricket representative simply put me on hold, verified his account info., put him on hold and took my credit card payment(with his authorization), then brought us all back into 3way, thanked us for the payment and i was told to bring the phone to cricket to be flashed properly onto my account. as such i was told to consider the phone "unlocked" and he was told to consider his account now closed. that was it. nobody stole my money. thank you for your concern about legalities, but i am at the cusp of 40 years old. i kinda have a clue or two how to get things done. that is why i am an aquisitions manager for my hospital. i actually go out and actively search out "preferred" clients/patients that we accept for our particular behavioral health unit. still, thank you. there were a few things in your reply that struck me as "odd" in the wording of the mobile electronics law. this, in turn, got me to sit back and think if there was maybe a safer alternative to getting what i want. so, thank you.
    one more thing though....removing a vin is not an automatic criminal act. you seemed to have overlooked my statement about "off-road use only." if removing a vin is an automatic criminal violation, then i could see thousands and thousands of racers in almost every sanction, from NASCAR all the way down to M4 class rallycross cars(which is what i do-not going to say i win alot-or ever, for that matter) being detained in what would HAVE to be the single largest court issued wants and warrants movement this country has ever seen! however, it is a kick in the butt, even if i don't win!!! what can i say, these guys and some gals are damned good! none-the-less, i agree, there is a lot of mis-information going around. not just here, but everywhere in the world. the web is, to me, a gathering place for all types of people, however benign or malicious they may be.

no matter what, all's well that ends well!

james
    James! Well, one I like the educated responses, but my question is there anyway you can get that merc you send to PG to Oriax afterwards? He said he could throw out a few roms if he had one to play with.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

@Ericarenee-thank you for the kind words. Yes, all the above is correct.account holder found, cricket notified, balance cleared, esn cleared! I guess it pays to be able to acquire things....plus a little luck!
    Also, agreed, our society is absolutely plagued with toxins! I wish one person could solve them. However, it does take a village o raise a child properly, and that's only one child!

@trillbill-yes, it's possible to send to Oriax.....i just wonder if it would be more beneficial to send to Oriax first? Sounds like he might have more time to invest? That being said,i have not yet sent it out. That will be tomorrow or Tuesday.

Overall activity: 92.0%
    Phone
    Mercury M886

@Ericarenee-thank you for the kind words. Yes, all the above is correct.account holder found, cricket notified, balance cleared, esn cleared! I guess it pays to be able to acquire things....plus a little luck!
    Also, agreed, our society is absolutely plagued with toxins! I wish one person could solve them. However, it does take a village o raise a child properly, and that's only one child!

@trillbill-yes, it's possible to send to Oriax.....i just wonder if it would be more beneficial to send to Oriax first? Sounds like he might have more time to invest? That being said,i have not yet sent it out. That will be tomorrow or Tuesday.

I think it would. Try and talk to him.

Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

cricket does not "lock esns" on unpaid accounts. . . you do not "flash" a cricket phone onto a cricket account, it is referred to as an "esn change". the customer care rep got you to pay for the guys month of services this month of which no one used. the original phone owner just had to disconnect his account.

the vin tampering laws do not cover off-road vehicles or race-cars. if you read them the laws pertain to high rate of theft on-road consumer vehicles.

esn tampering laws are for every phone with an esn
    Last edited by indica; 08-26-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Galaxy Admire 2

Yeaaa or Nubcake they have great android knowledge...or go to xda and find some developers that can make roms from scratch and see what they would do

Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    03/2011
    Phone
    Chelsea S III

I love how Indica is keeping this "Yeah, u tried that" attitude. Lolz. It's cute :-)

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information