Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Want To Leave Cricket.... Can This Be Done

Very happy with my Merc'.... But I'm thinking seriously about leaving Cricket for another carrier. I barely use any of the data plan, and, I have no service at home.

Thinking I would be much better off financially if I was to switch carriers to Straight Talk or Net10........ Or any other (recommendations accepted).

Is it possible to change providers and still keep my Merc'? If so what do I need to do to make the change?

Enjoy,
    Mark

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Pageplus uses Verizon system and take other esn. Straight Talk and Net 10 are most GSM. Not sure how to flash your phone to pageplus that might be tricky.

Verizon as a carrier would be ideal. I've never heard of Pageplus but I'll start researching now.

I am assuming that I would have to 'Root' the phone to make any change whatsoever. Really don't want to take a chance with rooting. Hopefully there's a way to do it without the 'Root'.

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Pageplus is out of the question. There prices are equivalent to Cricket.

Overall activity: 0%

I'm seriously thinking about going to straight talk, better bandwidth, with maybe a phone like the oppo
    find 5
    The merc isn't very hspa+ or LTE compatible with for all the cellular bands att and tmo make you have to have

StraightTalk is strictly WalMart. Good phones and good service. You have to sign up online with the ESN/SN of the phone you buy. If you buy a used phone you better have the zip code of the phone because they will not activate it or you can fight literally for hours to get it activated. Google it and you'll see what I mean.

Net10 is a no nonsense carrier. Same thing as ST, good phones and good service. Just pray you don't have to deal with customer service. Even if you do buy a brand new phone you run the possibility of getting a broken phone in the box. Happened to me twice. After a very long CS call they shipped me a new phone no problem. I didn't even have to return the broken ones.

To my knowledge, flashing is impossible with these two carriers.

So, leaves me still wondering if I can convert my Mercury to a new carrier.

Does anyone know of a carrier that will accept the Mercury?

Overall activity: 2.0%

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

pageplus will accept the esn but you will not be able to program it with out rooting the phone.

Overall activity: 23.0%

Customer Since
    July 2010

I wanted to leave CricKet as well. I was getting no data signal at my house, and while I was at work I was getting a connection about only half the time. Every time I went to a CricKet store it felt like I was at a welfare office, and the customer service was poor to say the least.

While browsing Craigslist looking at phones, I came across a Motorola Atrix HD with a bad IMEI number for $100 bucks. It was an AT&T GSM phone, so I thought maybe I could put it on Straight Talk with their 'bring your own device' program. It was a gamble because I didn't know if the phone would be blocked from AT&T's network, even though I would be buying the service from Straight Talk. The sim was $14.99, and I had to order it off the internet, they don't sell it in stores. During the 3 days it took receive the sim card, I was extremely anxious, I was afraid I had thrown a hundred bucks down the drain on a phone that would be unusable for anything other than a wifi toy.

The day the sim card arrived, I sat in front of my computer and went through the activation process which was painless. After changing the APN settings on my phone I was told to reboot it and it would be finished. So I did.. and was greeted with 4 bars of 4G data showing. I was shocked.

Straight Talk sells 2 types of sims, one for T-Mobile and one for AT&T. Had I bought a T-Moble phone I would have gotten good results as well. The AT&T network where I live is extremely fast. I would guess that I'm getting around 3 times the speed that I was on CricKet, it's mind-blowing. I also didn't realize how bad the call quality was on CricKets network, I don't think it was the Mercury because the phone itself got positive reviews.

About the only negative I can see in this whole transition, is that I'm only getting 2GB of data through Straight Talk vs CricKets 2.5GB. I'm paying a bit less though, ST is only $45 bucks a month. Doing what I did was risky, but I wanted the phone really bad. It got good reviews, and it's on Motorola's list of phones getting the Jelly Bean update this month, ICS on it really fly's though, the phone has impressive specs.

Sorry to post a wall of words. Straight talk is awesome and worth considering if you come across a phone that uses a sim card.

bu7vw.jpg

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Honestly, if I didn't have good Cricket coverage, I would choose Solavei. Best off using an unlocked GSM phone or T-mobile phone though for HSPA+ speeds.

Link in signature.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Customer Since
    July 2010

There are folk where I work passing around Solavei literature. I just don't want to go around trying to get people to sign up in order to get my bill lowered. It's still too early to sign on to that company imo.

Phone
    Galaxy Admire 2

I get good service from Cricket, hopefully they service gets better once the 4G network extends

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by GeneticWeapon View Post
    There are folk where I work passing around Solavei literature. I just don't want to go around trying to get people to sign up in order to get my bill lowered. It's still too early to sign on to that company imo.
    It's an MVNO of Tmo. I already tried it out on the DNA and everything worked fine.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Customer Since
    July 2010

This past year I've been living in Oklahoma and working out of Tinker AFB, there's a lot of rural
    area's here that TMO just doesn't cover. At&t sometimes doesn't either, but they are league's ahead of everyone else imo. Do you seriously have the Droid DNA already??

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I've had it since it came out. It's been on Solavei, Verizon, AT&T, and Cricket. The tutorial is already posted.

Pretty solid phone. When I'm at home or looking something up for fun I prefer the Note 2.

This stuff is mainly for little YouTube videos and what not.

Customer Since
    July 2010

I know how hard it must be for you, choosing between the two! (sarcasm)

I like the screen on the atrix I'm using, it's high res and 4.5 inches, but the 1080p screen on the Droid DNA is to die for. You are very fortunate to have it plus a Note 2 in your arsenal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information