Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

4G Up and Running in Tucson, AZ

4G is now up and running in Tucson, AZ.

Name:  1524709932.png
Views: 336
Size:  51.5 KB

Please note: 4G is not available to the general public yet.

Thanks to Zclusive on Facebook for posting.

UPDATE: 10/16/2011

Here is some more on 4G LTE from Cricket:

Name:  cricket4g.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  105.7 KB
    Name:  cricket4g1.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  26.3 KB

Source: Zclusive on Facebook

As you can see, the maximum download speed in the first screenshot is 11.01 Mbps, which is great, especially for a cellular connection. The maximum upload speed is just 272.92 kbps, but we know it's been a lot higher from the speed test in the first post of this thread, which shows an upload speed of 3.29 Mbps.

This user downloaded more than 46 GB's of data in less than a month's time. It shows how much data you can use if you have a fast connection.

We still don't know the plan details of 4G. It was said that it is going to start with modems (which is probably still true) and then move on to phones later (most likely in 2012).

How much do you think Cricket will want to charge for 4G services? Do you think they will implement throttling with the 4G plans?
    Last edited by avenue; 10-16-2011 at 10:50 AM.

2. Remove this advertisement.

So when this is offered, do you think that exsisting 4g phones will work like the HTC EVO?

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Sprint phones are currently using Wimax which is different from LTE.

We are not even sure that flashed phones will be able to enjoy LTE offerings if they have LTE capability. There are a few factors which will come into play.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    Nexus S 4G

Cricket 4G? so this is LTE? i had no idea this was in testing. do we know what band theyre using for LTE? sim cards like verizon?

Quote Originally Posted by autoprime View Post
    Cricket 4G? so this is LTE? i had no idea this was in testing. do we know what band theyre using for LTE? sim cards like verizon?
    Yes, this is LTE. I'm not sure what band they're using. I think it's the same as Verzion, because people have been asking if they could use a Verizon LTE phone on Cricket's 4G service. I do think they are using the cards just as Verizon is. They aren't SIM cards though, I believe they are UICC cards, or something like that. It might stand for Universal Integrated Circuit Cards, but I'm not sure.

Here is some more on 4G LTE from Cricket:

Name:  cricket4g.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  105.7 KB
    Name:  cricket4g1.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  26.3 KB

Source: Zclusive on Facebook

As you can see, the maximum download speed in the first screenshot is 11.01 Mbps, which is great, especially for a cellular connection. The maximum upload speed is just 272.92 kbps, but we know it's been a lot higher from the speed test in the first post of this thread, which shows an upload speed of 3.29 Mbps.

This user downloaded more than 46 GB's of data in less than a month's time. It shows how much data you can use if you have a fast connection.

We still don't know the plan details of 4G. It was said that it is going to start with modems (which is probably still true) and then move on to phones later (most likely in 2012).

How much do you think Cricket will want to charge for 4G services? Do you think they will implement throttling with the 4G plans?

Quote Originally Posted by autoprime View Post
    First off I need to point out I have little knowledge of LTE, as I have not used it nor worked on it ever. But I do know that Cricket east coast shore is entirely AWS. Philadelphia when it gets LTE will be on the AWS band.

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    First off I need to point out I have little knowledge of LTE, as I have not used it nor worked on it ever. But I do know that Cricket east coast shore is entirely AWS. Philadelphia when it gets LTE will be on the AWS band.
    Do you know when you're going to start setting up 4G in this area? Are you going to training for it or anything?

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Since Metro and Verizon use these UICC cards I think that Cricket will also.

It’s not too often a CDMA operator finds itself shopping around for a SIM card supplier. But that’s exactly what MetroPCS (
    NYSE:PCS

) has been doing of late, announcing today that Gemalto will supply the subscriber identity modules commonly found in GSM devices for its forthcoming long-term evolution (LTE).

LTE is a 3GPP technology, firmly grounded in the GSM standards camp, meaning it will initially be SIM card-based. Verizon Wireless (
    NYSE:VZ

NYSE:VOD

), too, has selected Gemalto, the leading dealer in subscriber management system and both will use Gemalto’s universal integrated circuit card (UICC), essentially an IP version of the SIM designed to authenticate users to the 4G network.
    That doesn’t necessarily mean customers will be able to swap out SIM cards between devices on VZW and Metro networks, though.

Both operators plan to offer dual-mode devices, and the UICC only handles authentication to the LTE network, not to the CDMA network, which authenticates directly to the device. That presumably means, Verizon and Metro devices will be linked authenticated on both networks simultaneously, tracking the same subscriber over two management systems.
    This article doesn't appear to be completely true either because I think the Charge has CDMA info on there as well. The east coast is not entirely AWS. I think this is mainly the north east areas.

"The AWS band uses
    microwave

frequencies

in two segments: from 1710 to 1755 MHz for uplink, and from 2110 to 2155 MHz for downlink.
    "

Verizon LTE and MetroPCS LTE run on different frequencies (700 and 1700/1900 respectively).

For more information on LightSquared's LTE network and frequencies (Leap is using them...):

dailywireless.org LightSquared Announces LTE Network

"Lightsquared has L-Band frequencies at 1525-1544MHz and 1545-1559MHz."

Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    Do you know when you're going to start setting up 4G in this area? Are you going to training for it or anything?
    Nothing is set in stone yet for any dates. Some first wave of equipment has started installation on the east coast. Not sure of anything on the tower side, but switch work has been started, or is being started sometime next year. This is of coarse a long process. It normally starts with the switch gear getting installed first, then the cell site gear is installed on a specific test base station, normally a toy cell which is normally at a switch premises as a sort of local lab, so it can be used to try things on before a full procedure is created for use across an entire market area. Oh and good catch chrisngrod: I was mainly speaking for Philadelphia/Baltimore/Washington DC area. I guess I should not generalize so much. They are completely AWS at the moment, and last I checked on the FCC website they do not own any other spectrum in these area's. LTE will be AWS in this area guaranteed, with the only caveat being if they purchase or purchased spectrum from someone rather recently and soon.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Also, as for lightsquared, it would not benefit a provider to use them so much if they own enough spectrum to provide LTE themselves. I can see in some markets cricket using them, if they do not have enough bandwidth to allocate for the purpose. I am sure cricket will be using them for some markets but I have not seen any indication that would be the case network wide. With light squared mentioned, has anyone heard anything conclusive about their GPS interference problems?

Nothing is set in stone yet for any dates. Some first wave of equipment has started installation on the east coast. Not sure of anything on the tower side, but switch work has been started, or is being started sometime next year. This is of coarse a long process. It normally starts with the switch gear getting installed first, then the cell site gear is installed on a specific test base station, normally a toy cell which is normally at a switch premises as a sort of local lab, so it can be used to try things on before a full procedure is created for use across an entire market area. Oh and good catch chrisngrod: I was mainly speaking for Philadelphia/Baltimore/Washington DC area. I guess I should not generalize so much. They are completely AWS at the moment, and last I checked on the FCC website they do not own any other spectrum in these area's. LTE will be AWS in this area guaranteed, with the only caveat being if they purchase or purchased spectrum from someone rather recently and soon.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Also, as for lightsquared, it would not benefit a provider to use them so much if they own enough spectrum to provide LTE themselves. I can see in some markets cricket using them, if they do not have enough bandwidth to allocate for the purpose. I am sure cricket will be using them for some markets but I have not seen any indication that would be the case network wide. With light squared mentioned, has anyone heard anything conclusive about their GPS interference problems?
    From what I've heard, Lightsquared is just supposed to supplement Cricket's native 4G coverage. So, it's basically 4G roaming. Also, I've heard that you will be able to get 4G even where there aren't any cell phone towers, and that the connection will be through the satellite. So, in theory, there will be coverage everywhere nationwide, both voice and data (over the satellites), since VoLTE should be implemented eventually.

I have heard of the GPS issues. I'm sure they will figure something out, especially since so many companies have signed a deal with them.

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    From what I've heard, Lightsquared is just supposed to supplement Cricket's native 4G coverage. So, it's basically 4G roaming. Also, I've heard that you will be able to get 4G even where there aren't any cell phone towers, and that the connection will be through the satellite. So, in theory, there will be coverage everywhere nationwide, both voice and data (over the satellites), since VoLTE should be implemented eventually. I have heard of the GPS issues. I'm sure they will figure something out, especially since so many companies have signed a deal with them.
    LTE over satelite with no towers? Like I said before I have had no contact with the technology but damn that seems... battery draining to say the least. If that even works it would more likely be towers but using satelite for the backhaul, not from the mobile itself to satelite. I cannot fathom the amount of RF power that would be required for a handset with a omnidirectional antenna which could be positioned at any possible angle, sometimes without direct line of sight... to communicate with it lol.

LTE over satelite with no towers? Like I said before I have had no contact with the technology but damn that seems... battery draining to say the least. If that even works it would more likely be towers but using satelite for the backhaul, not from the mobile itself to satelite. I cannot fathom the amount of RF power that would be required for a handset with a omnidirectional antenna which could be positioned at any possible angle, sometimes without direct line of sight... to communicate with it lol.
    It didn't make any sense to me the first time I read it either. I may have misunderstood. I'll post it if I can find the article.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

There is some information here:
    About Us - LightSquared

"LightSquared will deploy an open wireless broadband network using a technology called Long Term Evolution (LTE), the most widely adopted 4G standard in the world. Its LTE network will be combined with one of the largest commercial satellites ever launched, to provide coverage of the entire United States. This integrated LTE-satellite network is a world first."

It says "provide coverage of the entire United States", so that is something at least.

I'll see if I can find any more information.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Here is a little more:
    FAQs - LightSquared

"Mainstream Chipsets From Qualcomm
    To enable devices to run on the LightSquared network, Qualcomm is incorporating L-Band LTE technology into its mainstream chipset roadmap. Qualcomm has also developed an advanced satellite air interface technology called EGAL (Enhanced Geostationary Air Link), which enables the satellite mode of operation in mobile devices. Qualcomm is adding L-Band LTE and EGAL to standard Qualcomm products, including its MDM9600™ chipset—the world’s first LTE multi-mode solution. Device manufacturers will be able to use these chipsets to create integrated cellular-satellite products for the LightSquared network that are similar to today’s typical mobile devices in terms of size, capabilities, and build costs."

Thanks for the info, I am trying to google more info on EGAL satelite links. Unfortunately all I can find is reposting of the lightsquared press release. I kind of figured detailed technical information would be scarce at this point. I may(and probably am!) wrong, but I assume it is more of a repeater scenario using a ground based tower performing the final mile for 90% of the user public. This would be along the same lines as how satellite radio works, even though they only use one way communication, most people are receiving the signal from a local repeater opposed to directly listening into the satellite link. This would make even more sense, in a two way communication config like air cards and cell phones work. Since the mobile would just communicate locally like it always has done. But it provides the option to just install a tower in a remote area where it can get electricity without needing to provide a backhaul solution(which is the very expensive part)

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

How does LightSquared technology work?

LightSquared
    will provide
    4G wireless broadband

services by pairing a nationwide LTE terrestrial network with ubiquitous satellite coverage. LightSquared technology will not only ensure nationwide wireless broadband service, it will also offer an unprecedented platform for innovation and creativity and a unique opportunity for service providers, device and component manufacturers, and retailers.

Preferred LTE Technology

LightSquared is building a 4G-LTE open wireless broadband network that will enable a true broadband experience. LTE, a 3GPP technology standard, is the basis of the 4G network deployments of nearly every major carrier globally.

The LTE standard provides an ecosystem advantage and a superior user experience. From a technology perspective, LTE has a maximum data rate—over 100 MB/second—which enables LightSquared to offer more immediate communication with minimal delay and faster upload and download speeds.

Terrestrial + Satellite = Constant Connectivity

LightSquared is using terrestrial and satellite technology to ensure constant connectivity, regardless of location. LightSquared’s next-generation satellite, built by Boeing, was launched into geostationary orbit over North America in November 2010. Among the largest and most powerful commercial satellites ever launched, this space-based network will provide coverage to users when they are out of cellular range.

Spectrum Position

LightSquared’s solid spectrum position provides consistent nationwide spectrum for ubiquitous coverage, with improved propagation characteristics and in-building penetration. The development of the LightSquared network offers a compelling value proposition to retail distribution customers who either have no wireless network themselves or have wireless networks with limited geographic coverage, spectrum, or 4G potential.

Open Ecosystem

With its powerful platform and open ecosystem, LightSquared will allow device, application, and service developers to innovate and create new products for customers.

Are there devices specifically designed for the LightSquared network?

By providing a completely open wireless broadband network, LightSquared is spurring the development of countless new wireless devices and applications and making them available nationwide.

Mainstream Chipsets From Qualcomm

To enable devices to run on the LightSquared network, Qualcomm is incorporating L-Band LTE technology into its mainstream chipset roadmap. Qualcomm has also developed an advanced satellite air interface technology called EGAL (Enhanced Geostationary Air Link), which enables the satellite mode of operation in mobile devices. Qualcomm is adding L-Band LTE and EGAL to standard Qualcomm products, including its MDM9600™ chipset—the world’s first LTE multi-mode solution. Device manufacturers will be able to use these chipsets to create integrated cellular-satellite products for the LightSquared network that are similar to today’s typical mobile devices in terms of size, capabilities, and build costs.

Smartphones and Tablets From Sharp

Sharp, a worldwide leader in consumer electronic products and solutions, has been selected by LightSquared to provide advanced smartphones and tablets which will operate on its 4G-LTE network. Leveraging leading-edge product solutions, Sharp will incorporate an extensive selection of unique device components, such as Sharp’s advanced LCD panel and camera module, to develop a range of innovative devices for LightSquared’s 4G-LTE network partners.

AnyDATA and BandRich Leverage Chipsets

AnyDATA and BandRich, two leading suppliers of wireless communications technology, have been selected by LightSquared to provide embedded modules, USB data modems, and other devices.

Only the Beginning

USB modems, embedded modules, smartphones and tablets are just a small sampling of the kinds of devices that can be configured to use LightSquared’s open wireless broadband network. In 2012, LightSquared’s service will expand to include additional innovative next generation devices. By connecting to the LightSquared network, smartphones and tablets will be able to access an array of applications and services, including streaming high-definition video. And there are a number of new products that will connect any WiFi-enabled device, such as a PC, notebook, netbook, eReader or game console, to the LightSquared network, with many more under consideration and development.

I really didn't mean to get into this discussion because of the amount of time it takes to research this stuff. I practically only know what I read, but I try to remember what I've seen in the past and add on where I can.

I think you're right about the AWS frequencies. Weird that Lightsquared seems to have different ones. I don't know how many bands these products are going to support. It's getting confusing.

You can read the papers on the Huawei e397 broadband modem here:
    https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout =500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=794332&fcc_i d='QISE397U-53

This device was rumored a few months ago to be coming out for Cricket. You'll see that it operates in the AWS frequencies.

For a device to use both terrestrial links and satellite links, I'm pretty sure it has to use the chip mentioned above. I don't see any reference to that for the e397.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information