Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Thanks for the info, I am trying to google more info on EGAL satelite links. Unfortunately all I can find is reposting of the lightsquared press release. I kind of figured detailed technical information would be scarce at this point. I may(and probably am!) wrong, but I assume it is more of a repeater scenario using a ground based tower performing the final mile for 90% of the user public. This would be along the same lines as how satellite radio works, even though they only use one way communication, most people are receiving the signal from a local repeater opposed to directly listening into the satellite link. This would make even more sense, in a two way communication config like air cards and cell phones work. Since the mobile would just communicate locally like it always has done. But it provides the option to just install a tower in a remote area where it can get electricity without needing to provide a backhaul solution(which is the very expensive part)
    So, you're saying I pick up SIRIUS Satellite Radio through a repeater, on Earth? How far away can that repeater be? If it is somehow going through a repeater on Earth, how far does the signal from the repeater go? The antenna on the car must use satellites somehow. Is it using both satellites and a repeater?

2. Remove this advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    I really didn't mean to get into this discussion because of the amount of time it takes to research this stuff. I practically only know what I read, but I try to remember what I've seen in the past and add on where I can.
    Sorry man, I did not mean for this to get off topic. I know what you mean when you say you only what what you read. With me thats what I have worked with. And in the LTE realm thats very little but I have worked with cricket in some markets in networks operations which allowed me to know what they own, and broadcast on(thats FCC public knowledge anyways) and sometimes people leak a little about what is planned(I assume this also has to be submitted to the FCC, but I have no idea about lag time with them updating public documentation).

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    So, you're saying I pick up SIRIUS Satellite Radio through a repeater, on Earth? How far away can that repeater be? If it is somehow going through a repeater on Earth, how far does the signal from the repeater go? The antenna on the car must use satellites somehow. Is it using both satellites and a repeater?
    avenue: This is getting off topic. I used to look up XM when that is what I had but they are somewhat similar. Basically in a metropolitan environment you are likely using a repeater due to a larger user base and wanting to provide excellent service. Suburban is a mix depending on location and rural is probably satellite. It transitions seamlessly since that is easy, since it is a one way communication(ie your radio does not talk back to the satellite). This is why it was easy for me to use XM deep inside a house, and sometimes a basement when in the city, but I found myself losing signal at a stoplight next to a 3 story building on "Main street" in a one stoplight town in the boonies. Inside my parents house the radio had to be in a window that could see somewhat south. I have no in depth knowldge of satellite radio, and this is not the place for that regardless I just know what I read, and my user case scenario's seemed to prove it to be the case. Sirius is likely the same way. Any other information we should IM, while reading up on satelite radio ourselves lol!

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Sorry man, I did not mean for this to get off topic. I know what you mean when you say you only what what you read. With me thats what I have worked with. And in the LTE realm thats very little but I have worked with cricket in some markets in networks operations which allowed me to know what they own, and broadcast on(thats FCC public knowledge anyways) and sometimes people leak a little about what is planned(I assume this also has to be submitted to the FCC, but I have no idea about lag time with them updating public documentation).
    It says on the FCC website when they filed it, and they also filed something to not disclose a few things for 90 days. This includes pictures of the device IIRC. The discussion is good. Just trying my best to keep up with it when I'm pressed for time. Don't want to say something really stupid.

Satellite radio has used terrestrial repeaters for a while. I haven't used them in a while, but from the beginning I knew this one way or the other. Using satellites for backhauls on this data network would get expensive I'd think. Way too expensive. That's partially why sat phones were so pricey right? Satellite broadband is pricey and limited. You pay a premium when a satellite comes into play. I think they are only going to market the device to satellite thing with people willing to purchase a special device and special plan. Probably not going to be offered in Cricket's lineup. On that one article they show a device that can use both cell towers and satellite connections.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

avenue: This is getting off topic. I used to look up XM when that is what I had but they are somewhat similar. Basically in a metropolitan environment you are likely using a repeater due to a larger user base and wanting to provide excellent service. Suburban is a mix depending on location and rural is probably satellite. It transitions seamlessly since that is easy, since it is a one way communication(ie your radio does not talk back to the satellite). This is why it was easy for me to use XM deep inside a house, and sometimes a basement when in the city, but I found myself losing signal at a stoplight next to a 3 story building on "Main street" in a one stoplight town in the boonies. Inside my parents house the radio had to be in a window that could see somewhat south. I have no in depth knowldge of satellite radio, and this is not the place for that regardless I just know what I read, and my user case scenario's seemed to prove it to be the case. Sirius is likely the same way. Any other information we should IM, while reading up on satelite radio ourselves lol!
    I understand now. Thanks for the information.

xbiker321

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Walter View Post
    So when this is offered, do you think that exsisting 4g phones will work like the HTC EVO?
    If you are in an area with Sprint 4G Wimax, with a flashed 4g Sprint phone, you should be able to use 4G right now for free. I was just downtown (Denver) and clicked the 4G icon on my phone for the hell of it and it worked. Blazin fast speeds. I am using a flashed Epic Touch at the moment, on the $45 plan. Next time I'm down there I'll run a speed test.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by xbiker321 View Post
    If you are in an area with Sprint 4G Wimax, with a flashed 4g Sprint phone, you should be able to use 4G right now for free. I was just downtown (Denver) and clicked the 4G icon on my phone for the hell of it and it worked. Blazin fast speeds. I am using a flashed Epic Touch at the moment, on the $45 plan. Next time I'm down there I'll run a speed test.
    Usually this only works on a freshly deactivated 4G phone. They cut the normal service however it takes a while for the WIMAX portion to get cut. Enjoy it while you can :-).
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Overall activity: 13.0%

Customer Since
    Oct 2012

I have a Droid RAZR in Tucson, Arizona I just found someone here with a Droid on Cricket 4G I wanted so badly to talk to the guy and get his settings and everything from his phone can anyone help me set this up to use cricket 4g? Its been done so anyone want to give it a try on mine let me know or point me in rite direction.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Off the top of my head... Aren't they different frequencies? Even with firmware, is the RAZR LTE radio capable of operating at what Cricket uses...?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information