Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

San Antonio to get 4G LTE Mid-Year (employee said)

This was told to me today by a store employee at the store on West Ave & Jackson Keller, near NW Loop 410.

He also said that the Huawei Mercury will be on the 4G LTE network once it is available (currently 3G). He also agreed that there will be a new phones out and that the Mercury will be dropping in price, but doesn't know when either of those things will happen.

I have no idea if any of this is true... he seemed very knowledgeable but also might have just been a good salesmen, even though the phone I wanted was sold out at that store.

I read that 4G LTE is available in parts of Arizona. I don't know about the phones though... I might call a Cricket store in Tuscon, AZ to find out.
    Last edited by NeoZiggy; 12-26-2011 at 03:36 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

Don't believe anything you hear, but so far the rumour is that it's coming to some markets sometime in 2012.

And yes, it is being tested in AZ.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Maybe someone from Tucson can help here. I'm thinking all LTE devices will use a sim card. The card slot that the Honor had has been plugged up in the Mercury.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

A quick Google search leads me to believe that LTE requires a SIM card.

However, 4G by itself does not (ex: Sprint HTC Evo 4G). Perhaps he was a little misleading, but the phone could make use of 4G instead of 3G when available.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

It seams unless the phone was made for 4G there is no way to upgrade it. Sorry about the hype for the Huawei Mercury... but at least Cricket should have 4G LTE soon!!! With a brand new line of expensive bad-ss Android phones to buy....

I will be crying when I see my phone for under $200 in 6 months.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZiggy

However, 4G by itself does not (ex: Sprint HTC Evo 4G). Perhaps he was a little misleading, but the phone could make use of 4G instead of 3G when available.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

It seams unless the phone was made for 4G there is no way to upgrade it. Sorry about the hype for the Huawei Mercury... but at least Cricket should have 4G LTE soon!!! With a brand new line of expensive bad-ss Android phones to buy....

Wimax does not (Clear/Sprint).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZiggy View Post

You better buy a box of tissues because the price will surely go down, they always do. Maybe not the MSRP but it will eventually have a Mail-in or instant rebate.

Colione

Not all LTE will use an external sim card... some devices have it built in so you don't have access to it. As far as the Mercury, it will not be "upgradeable".

The high competition markets will get it first. Philly, DC/Balitmore, Chicago, etc. They just spent a ton of money to acquire the spectrum for Chicago, no way they'd let that sit there and not get it up and running ASAP.

Yeah, i don't know about that I'd think Cricket would deploy to markets where they having nothing already running on AWS (like tucson). So like Denver, Portland, Sandiego, midwest, etc.. I think their AWS markets would be the last (DC/Philly, Chicago, Vegas, etc...)

I thought I heard somewhere(word of mouth) that in chicago they acquired spectrum on a band other than AWS which will be used for LTE, but like I said, that was word of mouth and I did not ask for specifics.

As for AWS markets, I know for a fact one on market in the east is in the install phase of equipment with LTE, but nothing but the test BTS(which is housed in the switch/data center) is actually broadcasting at the moment. So keep any information you may hear coming.

Colione

Philly is being installed currently with a commercial date of early April. I got an alert that the tower that services our store will be going offline for a half hour or so in the morning so they can reboot with the LTE equipment enabled (for testing, not commercially).

Thread Information