Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Thread: Theory

Supporting Member

Theory

So guys right now i'm between 3 different 4g areas and would have sprint service here, now I know we can roma on sprints towers for 3g, but what about 4g?

I know it may sound crazy but we use hybrid prl files and they work very well for 3g. I hardly ever know the difference. But as metro users getting 3g while using a different one could we in theory utilize 4g spectrum if we have a converted 4g phone?

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket

That would be sick

Swyped from my Cricket Droid os 2.3.4 using Tapatalk

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I'm pretty sure they use different authentication methods. I believe that WIMAX networks like Clear/Sprint might use MAC addresses for authentication. I guess this in theory could be tested by cloning the WIMAX radio's MAC address.

After I flashed an Epic for a Clear reseller in Houston, he supposedly got his 4G working with Clear. I think he mentioned it utilizing the MAC address.

This from XDA:

The MAC address isnt printed anywhere but when you are connected to 4G it will display it to you in about phone. You would not be able to activate it as a clear 4G+ modem because all MAC addresses for that modem are in clear's system and we can not even activate a sprint branded 4G/3G modem, even one of the same model. They say it is because of the software of the modem, autodirects to sprint billing, and the system not finding the modem as a real modem.

Now if you are trying to save money by using the EVO as a modem and not to make calls have you tried
    Sprint Relay Store

it allows for data only accounts, even adds the subsidies in so its still $200, and at $40 a month ($30 data, $10 premium) it is the same as a 4G only modem with clear. You could add the $30 tethering option or root the phone and tether for free. This is actually cheaper then using the 4G+ modem from clear which is $55 a month. On the relay store sprint charges $36 activation and $12 shipping ontop of the phone cost (both normally waived, if you ask instore and over the phone, on normal accounts). Your purchase total would probably around $390 before the $100 rebate.

Also note that the 4G modem in this phone is much weaker than the USB modems and home modems that we sell. I live in a somewhat deadzone only getting 1Mb on my USB and 1.5Mb on my home modem and I cannot connect at all on my EVO.

Also note that we will be offering phones this winter, then which we should be able to use the EVO on along with whichever phones become available later (one HTC and one Samsung confirmed).
    This also hints that MAC address cloning is a possible solution. Interesting. This would of course not be recommended and probably have some legality issues as with most things always are.

Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    I'm pretty sure they use different authentication methods. I believe that WIMAX networks like Clear/Sprint might use MAC addresses for authentication. I guess this in theory could be tested by cloning the WIMAX radio's MAC address.

After I flashed an Epic for a Clear reseller in Houston, he supposedly got his 4G working with Clear. I think he mentioned it utilizing the MAC address.

This from XDA:

This also hints that MAC address cloning is a possible solution. Interesting. This would of course not be recommended and probably have some legality issues as with most things always are.
    Yeah I saw a video earlier of someone who had 4g on their sprint evo flashed to cricket and I couldnt tell if it was legit or not. But I believe it is entirely possibly, the wimax network has faults.I can connect to it using my OLD nokia n810 wimax edition. I know that thing can't be in their database.

Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket

Someone should try this. Just for tech research

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by whitefiretiger View Post
    Someone should try this. Just for tech research

When I get the evo i'm willing to try it just for "research"

Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Romspert View Post
    When I get the evo i'm willing to try it just for "research"
    All in the namE of knowledge

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Crappy movie but here you go...

Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    Crappy movie but here you go...

Had a feeling it was still possible. Now just a matter of making it stay on I suppose for further testing

Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket

I need to get a phone to test this on

Thread Information