Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Phone
    EVO 4G

$15/month unlimited everything except mms***my new Cricket adventure***

UPDATE on 7/31: I'm getting free 3G data right now! When I first set this up, instead of loading a full $15 on my PayGo plan, I only put $5 on it to try it out first. The $5 expired in 5 days. My data has continued to work for the last 48+ hours once my PayGo expired. So at this point, 3G data(no voice) is 100% free! I will have to load more $$ on my PayGo account within 117 days in order to keep my account active. I have also signed up for Clear's 4G service at $45/month for true unlimited 4G service. This is a great set up for me at the moment.

Free calls over VOIP, text via Google Voice, Market works, internet works:

This is something new I am trying and I think it has very good potential. The only thing that can hold me up is if throttling kicks in. This is not for those who can't handle trying something new that may not be 100% yet. I'm still testing this and so far it's working good over the 1st 24 hours, but there may be kinks to work out later.

What I'm doing:

-PayGo $1/day plan***IMPORTANT***only use this for $0.25/day web access***I have asked multiple Cricket reps and they have confirmed that the $1/daily access is not charged if you only access the web. The web access fee is $0.25/day.
    -all texts are done using Google Voice for free (Paygo charges $0.10/each)
    -all phone calls are made over 3G/WIFI via VOIP and using my Google Voice # for free to anywhere in the US or Canada (PayGo charges $1/day for unlimited local calls)

VOIP apps in the Market that I have tried:

Sipdroid- free, requires some additional setup, but is not complicated
    GrooVe IP- $3.99. Very easy setup.

I've used both of the above apps and may try more. GrooVe IP's audio, in my opinion, seems to be alittle more clear and is easy straight out of the box for setup. This VOIP solution utilizing Google Voice for free calls over data is working out so far. It just requires some patience and testing and tweaking until you get satisfactory results. This solution is working good enough that I'm going full speed ahead with it for now. I will provide any additional updates if I have further useful info. $15/month unlimited!!

Really, this is only $7.50/month($0.25/day for data x 30 days), BUT, the PayGO top up rules prevent this. Anything less than a $15 top up will expire at $1/per day. Example: you add $10 to your PayGo account and it expires in 10 days. What I'm doing is topping up at $15 which will expire in 30 days per the Cricket website. Doing this will be wasting $7.50/month in unused Cricket money, but $15 is still a helluva lot cheaper than any alternative!

That's how I am trying to achieve my $15/month unlimited plan. PayGo subscribers don't have access to their account online so I have no way of tracking data/throttling. I will just continue to monitor speedtest.net. Right now, I'm averaging around 500-600kbps DL which is plenty to make quality phone calls via VOIP, surf the net, watch Netflix, stream Pandora, etc.

If anyone has interest, you need a Google Voice account, download Sipdroid from the market(free), and follow this guide
    Google Voice + Sipdroid 2.0 = VoIP over data on Android phones II | Binglong's space

. It worked perfect for me. You will need to change your plan over to the PayGo $1/plan, be willing to use your Google Voice # 100% of the time, and be willing to give up mms.

Last edited by ksechrest; 07-31-2011 at 11:39 AM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

You're not having any problems making calls over 3G? I tried it and one way there wasn't a delay but there was static, and the other way it was crystal clear but there was a delay. I couldn't get it clear without a delay..

Phone
    EVO 4G

so far no delay more than a second at most, but I'm still trying it out. I only noticed the delay when I was testing in the house with my wife's #....only because I could hear her in the house and over my phone at the same time so I noticed the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by ksechrest View Post
    so far no delay more than a second at most, but I'm still trying it out. I only noticed the delay when I was testing in the house with my wife's #....only because I could hear her in the house and over my phone at the same time so I noticed the delay.
    Interesting.. What are your speeds and what is your ping like?

Phone
    EVO 4G

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    Interesting.. What are your speeds and what is your ping like?
    Pings have averaged around 1000-1200ms, but I did get a fast one earlier at 300ms. Speeds averaging around 550-600kbps DL.

I'm liking this though. My 2 coworker neighbors here are paying $80 and $70 + taxes for their Sprint Evo plans!

Pings have averaged around 1000-1200ms, but I did get a fast one earlier at 300ms. Speeds averaging around 550-600kbps DL.

I'm liking this though. My 2 coworker neighbors here are paying $80 and $70 + taxes for their Sprint Evo plans!
    Wow! I usually get around 100 ms. I wonder if that would change on payGo. I think I might have set it up wrong when I did it because there was a delay one way and there was static the other. If you're not having problems with 1000 ms ping and 600 Kbps I must have set it up wrong. I usually get around 100 ms ping and 1 Mbps download.

Phone
    EVO 4G

Yeah, I tried the setup when I was being throttled on the Android $55 plan. My throttle speeds were 100kbps DL and it sounded terrible. Static and I couldn't hear much.

Once I switched over and became unthrottled again, my speeds picked up to the 550-600kbps range, which should be comparable to the $45 plan speed. I think it will work fine until/if I hit a throttle later in the month. I'm not sure how the PayGo daily plans work on data throttling.

If anyone wants to try it out, I can give you the Sipdroid settings I have that seem to be working.

Phone
    EVO 4G

just tried another test call. Ran speedtest.net right before call(I was out in a hallway at work with reduced signal). It was 1212ms and 529kbps.

I had to call one of my bills and make a payment with a rep. I had no problems while on the phone for about 3-4 minutes. It was very clear and didn't run into delays.

just tried another test call. Ran speedtest.net right before call(I was out in a hallway at work with reduced signal). It was 1212ms and 529kbps.

I had to call one of my bills and make a payment with a rep. I had no problems while on the phone for about 3-4 minutes. It was very clear and didn't run into delays.
    Wow, that's great. I wonder if I could get away with Virgin Mobile's $35 plan. Their data speed is around 500 kbps here and ping is between 200 ms and 400 ms. That would give me 2.5 GB's until throttling which would be at 256 kbps.

Phone
    EVO 4G

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    Wow, that's great. I wonder if I could get away with Virgin Mobile's $35 plan. Their data speed is around 500 kbps here and ping is between 200 ms and 400 ms. That would give me 2.5 GB's until throttling which would be at 256 kbps.
    I was looking at their plan yesterday. It's enticing to get Sprint unlimited for $35 and the 2.5GB soft cap is alot better than 1GB. My problem is that I could only use my EVO on Virgin doing it the donor way(illegal way). Same thing with Boost.

I was also looking at Clear's 4G plans. They have mobile 4G(true unlimited and blazing fast) for $45/month. My EVO can easily be setup for that. My work is in a 4G area too, but then I would need to use Cricket's PayGo $1/day deal for 3G where I live. I would do VOIP on this setup also, but pay $60/month total and have true 4G.

Right now though, I'm going to stay on the $15/month PayGo option as long as it works satisfactory for me.
    Last edited by ksechrest; 07-25-2011 at 08:49 AM.

I was looking at their plan yesterday. It's enticing to get Sprint unlimited for $35 and the 2.5GB soft cap is alot better than 1GB. My problem is that I could only use my EVO on Virgin doing it the donor way(illegal way). Same thing with Boost.

I was also looking at Clear's 4G plans. They have mobile 4G(true unlimited and blazing fast) for $45/month. My EVO can easily be setup for that. My work is in a 4G area too, but then I would need to use Cricket's PayGo $1/day deal for 3G where I live. I would do VOIP on this setup also, but pay $60/month total and have true 4G.

Right now though, I'm going to stay on the $15/month PayGo option as long as it works satisfactory for me.
    Virgin Mobile's $35 plan used to be $25 too..

Phone
    EVO 4G

After 48 hours of using this setup, I can say I like it up til now and I like $15/month! I've updated a few notes in the OP (in blue).

If anyone is thinking of trying it out, you can set this up with your current plan and run it a couple days. If you like it, ditch your higher $$ plan and start saving $$. If you don't like it, no harm.

Phone
    EVO 4G

I just made an update to the OP first paragraph.

Phone
    LG Optimus C

Well I'm not sure how it works in all areas but the $1/day PayGo plan never charges me $.25 for web.
    I've only been charged the $1 daily acess fee for calling and the $.10 for outgoing texts but occasionally it allows me to send outgoing texts (only SMS, not MMS) for free on the $1/day plan.
    Last edited by funnyboy243; 08-01-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by funnyboy243 View Post
    Well I'm not sure how it works in all areas but the $1/day PayGo plan never charges me $.25 for web.
    I've only been charged the $1 daily acess fee for calling and the $.10 for outgoing texts but occasionally it allows me to send outgoing texts (only SMS, not MMS) for free on the $1/day plan.
    That's an amazing deal! You can text for free with Google Voice too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information