Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Cricket Wireless - Free Visual Voicemail via Google Voice

The purpose of this video/writeup is to get visual voicemail working with Cricket for no additional fees. This tutorial can actually be used by people on Sprint, Verizon, ATT, Tmobile, etc. Your network codes may vary to get your phone number to forward to Google Voice though.

NOTE: Remember that it requires a data connection to check your visual voicemail. If you do not have a good signal, just call your Google Voice number and check it the traditional way.

Visual Voicemail Definition:

From Wikipedia

Visual voicemail
    is voice mail with a visual interface. Such an interface presents a list of messages for playback and may include a transcript of each message. In recent months, several companies in the
    telecommunications

space have integrated a visual element into their voicemail services. The most prominent usage of this technology is found in[
    citation needed

]

Apple

's
    iPhone

Samsung

's
    Instinct

and the
    Blackberry Storm

and Torch.

Other phone system vendors are now also offering these features for internal voicemail users. This complements the basic voicemail to e-mail or via SMS to mobile devices which is becoming ubiquitous in that it allows better management of voicemail messages without clogging up the user's inbox and saves time filtering spam.

One way to use visual voicemail is via mobile client applications.
    T-Mobile

International launched the service as Mobilbox Pro in August 2009 for a range of
    Symbian S60

devices with announcement to support further phones including
    Windows Mobile

and
    Android

devices.

In April 2009,
    OMTP

created a Technical Recommendation
    [1]

for an open and standardised visual voice mail (VVM) interface protocol which VVM clients may use to interact with a voicemail server. The key functions of this interface are the support of message retrieval, message upload, VVM management, greeting management and provisioning. The document intention is to ensure that standard functionality of voice mail servers may be accessed through a range of VVM clients via the defined interface. This approach leaves scope for operators/carriers and vendors to differentiate their products.

In 2010,
    Google Voice

became available without invitation. As a voicemail application on Google's
    Android

platform, it can assume control of the visual voicemail functionality in place of a carrier's own application.

From PhoneScoop

A feature that displays a visual interface for voicemail. This interface will list all current voicemail messages on the phone's display, along with options for playing and managing messages. This allows messages to be played and/or deleted quickly, in any order.

By comparison, standard voicemail (not visual) uses an audio-only interface, where users must listen to each message in order, and respond to voice prompts with touch-tone menu commands. (Press 7 to delete, etc.)

Signing up for Google Voice and Associating it with Your Phone

First you must sign up for a Google Voice number if you have not already. Visit voice.google.com. If you have a Gmail account, you can use this to login. If not, start a new account. Check your carrier to see if they will let you forward to any number. FOR CRICKET you must forward to a local phone number. To be on the safe side, I'd say choose the same area code if there are multiple ones in your area (chime in if you've experimented with anything else IE for Houston 832, 281, or 713).

From Google:

Choosing your Google number

Google Voice lets you choose a new phone number that stays with you, not a device or location. Your Google Voice number won't be your exisiting mobile device or landline number; you select a new number when signing up, which you can use for all your phones.
    Ready to sign up for Google Voice? Here's how the process works, and some tips for choosing and setting up your number (click on the blue links for information about each step):
    1. Go to
      the Google Voice website

and sign in using your Google account. (If you don't have a Google account you can
      create one

2. You'll be prompted to choose whether you want a new number or you want to use your existing number. Choose I want a new number. Learn more about the difference between the two options:
    3. Search for your new Google number and once you've chosen one click Continue. Tips for finding a new Google number
    4. Choose a PIN to use to retrieve your messages and access your Google Voice settings from any phone.
    5. Enter a forwarding phone number (this is the phone that will ring when someone calls your Google Voice number) and select a type from the 'Phone type' drop-down menu. Learn more about how forwarding phone numbers work
    6. Verify your phone. You'll see a numerical code along with a Call Me Now button. When you click the button, we'll call your forwarding phone and ask you to enter the code on the screen so we know the phone number you gave us is the right one.

Congratulations! Your Google number is all set up. You can choose to add more phones to forward to or take a look around the Google Voice inbox.
    Setting Up "Call Forwarding No Answer" on your Cricket Account

Next, set your phone up to forward when you don't pick up to your Google Voice number. Cricket's information is listed below.

From Cricket:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GVCallForwarding.JPG 
Views:	2435 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	960

From short6in (forum member):

Don't forget to do *73 too. Otherwise you will be managing 2 voicemail systems.

*73 is "Call Forwarding busy"

NOTE: If you ever want to turn this off, you must dial *740 and *730.
    App Install

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	govoice1.png 
Views:	2369 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	govoice2.png 
Views:	2439 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gvoice2.jpg 
Views:	2349 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gvoice.jpg 
Views:	2427 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	965

If you have an Android device, go to your Market and search for "Google Voice". Install it and set it up with your account information. You're done! You can add widgets to your home screen if you desire.

If you have a Windows Phone, install GoVoice. Supposedly they stopped the paid version so you won't be able to have notifications pushed to your phone. This is quite unfortunate. We'll update this if we figure out any other program that provides the kind of functionality Google's Android program does. I'd add a shortcut to your homescreen also.

Conclusion

Now you have Visual Voicemail on Cricket. This is a feature some people pay extra for, but in my opinion, you can't beat Google voice (for now at least). Remember that it requires a data connection to check your visual voicemail. If you do not have a good signal, just call your Google Voice number and check it the traditional way.

Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 01-19-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.

I would like to try it out.. since I use Google VM..Thanks

Phone
    EVO 4G

This would be cool. I love gVoice

It's life, live it!
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Galaxy S4

Last edited by Woof; 01-18-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Removed quoted post to make this one readable.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by short6in View Post

Thanks.. Perhaps this is the reason that once in a blue moon I'll get messages in the Cricket voicemail system.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

I try *74 but it says the feature is unavailable. I'm also not able to find the instructions on the cricket website currently.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

What phone do you have? if it is a flashed phone what PRL? You aren't on Paygo are you?

hmm go it working, but it rings for a full minute before it goes to VM. My phone rings 5 times, then shows missed call, rings 5 more times, shows 2 missed calls before caller gets vm.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by auto121223 View Post
    hmm go it working, but it rings for a full minute before it goes to VM. My phone rings 5 times, then shows missed call, rings 5 more times, shows 2 missed calls before caller gets vm.
    Unfortunately this happens because the Google Voice phone number ALSO routes phone calls to your phone. Perhaps if you don't have it forward calls to this phone, it can be used just as Visual Voicemail vs Voicemail and a second phone number.

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Won't let me forward calls that are NOT my area code, google voice does NOT support my area code. This forces me to use google voice on ANOTHER area code. There for not allowing me to call forward to VM number. lol oh well, I tried this months back.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Yeah Cricket only allows local forwarding.

Hi i tried setting up the google voice but i'am not able this it what it says (system has stopped unexpectedly). I have a flashed htc evo 3d. Is there away to get it working?

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Are you saying the program is crashing?

Try to clear the data and or reinstall.

---------- Post added at 06:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 AM ----------

Are you saying the program is crashing?

Try to clear the data and or reinstall.

Yes it keeps shutting,and cause my phone to restart.I clear the data uninstalled it and reinstalled, its still they same outcome.
    I was trying to use google voice for my business number.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Stock rom?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information