Sign Up Now FAQ
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

 
Welcome to Cricket Users!



Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Points: 1,009, Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0%

    Reputation
    Reputation 10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10



    499kbps download and 228kbps this sucks anybody have higher speed? This is on adroidx

    Hello this is my download and upload. It really really sucks how can I get it to download faster? My verizon was 2mb or so connection.

  2. Remove this advertisement.
  3. #2
    Junior Member
    Points: 1,261, Level: 19
    Overall activity: 1.0%

    Reputation
    Reputation 10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    8
    Phone
    Droid2



    I just got 4965kb down at mobilespeedtest.com, usually get somewhere between 2,000-3,000 though depending on what kind of signal I'm getting. How are you testing your speed? Some browsers use a proxy which won't always reflect your true speeds, and some sites/apps use servers out of the country which won't reflect your true speeds either (speedtest.net apk for droid is bad for this). Also which plan are you on? The 499kb is about what I was getting on a good day on the WAP plan (all in 45 or all in 55 plan). Once I upgraded to the 'Android Smartphone all in $55' (which I learned the hard way is different from the all in 55), my speeds went WAY up (did this on two phones, TP2 and DroidX, both seeing the speed increase). Hope this helps.
    Kristy

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Points: 51,481, Level: 100
    Overall activity: 0%
    avenue's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 51
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,805



    Quote Originally Posted by Tsarofsax View Post
    I just got 4965kb down at mobilespeedtest.com, usually get somewhere between 2,000-3,000 though depending on what kind of signal I'm getting. How are you testing your speed? Some browsers use a proxy which won't always reflect your true speeds, and some sites/apps use servers out of the country which won't reflect your true speeds either (speedtest.net apk for droid is bad for this). Also which plan are you on? The 499kb is about what I was getting on a good day on the WAP plan (all in 45 or all in 55 plan). Once I upgraded to the 'Android Smartphone all in $55' (which I learned the hard way is different from the all in 55), my speeds went WAY up (did this on two phones, TP2 and DroidX, both seeing the speed increase). Hope this helps.
    Kristy
    I recommend the speedtest.net application. You can find it in the market. Search for "speed test".

    As far as I know, Cricket's speeds can't go above 1.4 Mbps. Sprint, and I think Verizon, is capable of up to 3.1 Mbps.

    Are you in a very populated area? It is possible there are a lot of people using the network so that can slow you down. You can try doing a speed test in the middle of the night and see if that's faster.

    I'm throttled, and just did a speed test. I got 133 kbps download and 613 kbps upload.

    -Avenue

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Points: 51,481, Level: 100
    Overall activity: 0%
    avenue's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 51
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,805



    You can also try the speed test app from the FCC. That should be accurate.

    EDIT: I just did a speed test with mobilespeedtest.net and got 1702 kbps. I really don't think that's accurate.
    Last edited by avenue; 06-05-2011 at 11:42 AM.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Points: 2,250, Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    valentinoh's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 26
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    San Antonio,TX
    Posts
    378
    Phone
    DroidX Apex rom2.0



    Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    I recommend the speedtest.net application. You can find it in the market. Search for "speed test".

    As far as I know, Cricket's speeds can't go above 1.4 Mbps. Sprint, and I think Verizon, is capable of up to 3.1 Mbps.

    Are you in a very populated area? It is possible there are a lot of people using the network so that can slow you down. You can try doing a speed test in the middle of the night and see if that's faster.

    I'm throttled, and just did a speed test. I got 133 kbps download and 613 kbps upload.

    -Avenue
    I might be wrong but in reality and not by the looks 133kbps is pretty close to 1.4Mbps? ? ?

    Almost relating to time warner and att dsl when the say your getting a 6 or 7Mb package, when your downloading you will never see or go past 700k/b.....p/s

    I might be wrong though

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Last edited by valentinoh; 06-06-2011 at 01:54 AM.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Points: 51,481, Level: 100
    Overall activity: 0%
    avenue's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 51
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,805



    Quote Originally Posted by valentinoh View Post
    I might be wrong but in reality and not by the looks 133kbps is pretty close to 1.4Mbps? ? ?

    Almost relating to time warner and att dsl when the say your getting a 6 or 7Mb package, when your downloading you will never see or go past 700k/b.....p/s

    I might be wrong though

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    There is KB/ps, which I believe is kilobytes per second. Then, there is kbps, which is kilobits per second. 1,024 KB equals 1 MB (megabyte). That refers to download size. For example, the size of a file can be 1 MB. Usually speed is referred to as Mbps, which is megabits per second, or kbps which is kilobits per seconds. I believe 1,024 kilobits (kbps) is equal to 1 megabit (Mbps).

    Therefore, 133 kbps is closer to .13 Mbps.

    It looks like you might be throttled. If you have used more than 1 GB that might be the case. Do YouTube videos seem to load quickly, or do you need to wait a while?

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Points: 2,250, Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    valentinoh's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 26
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    San Antonio,TX
    Posts
    378
    Phone
    DroidX Apex rom2.0



    Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    There is KB/ps, which I believe is kilobytes per second. Then, there is kbps, which is kilobits per second. 1,024 KB equals 1 MB (megabyte). That refers to download size. For example, the size of a file can be 1 MB. Usually speed is referred to as Mbps, which is megabits per second, or kbps which is kilobits per seconds. I believe 1,024 kilobits (kbps) is equal to 1 megabit (Mbps).

    Therefore, 133 kbps is closer to .13 Mbps

    It looks like you might be throttled. If you have used more than 1 GB that might be the case. Do YouTube videos seem to load quickly, or do you need to wait a while?
    No, im good with youtbe the few time I do watch it

    Swyped this from my DroidX using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Points: 51,481, Level: 100
    Overall activity: 0%
    avenue's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 51
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,805



    Quote Originally Posted by valentinoh View Post
    No, im good with youtbe the few time I do watch it

    Swyped this from my DroidX using Tapatalk
    You probably watched YouTube when you weren't throttled and that's why you didn't have any problems. Try doing a speed test and then watching YouTube. See how long it takes the video to load and post the speed test here.

  10. #9
    Member
    Points: 1,249, Level: 19
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    piercedgeek's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    174
    Phone
    HTC EVO



    Lately I've been getting around 200 down, 10 up =(

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Points: 51,481, Level: 100
    Overall activity: 0%
    avenue's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 51
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,805



    Quote Originally Posted by piercedgeek View Post
    Lately I've been getting around 200 down, 10 up =(
    Have you used more than 1 GB of data?

  12. #11
    Member
    Points: 1,249, Level: 19
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    piercedgeek's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    174
    Phone
    HTC EVO



    nope, not sure that I even could with those speeds!
    from account:
    March, 2011 0.445 GB
    April, 2011 0.240 GB
    May, 2011 0.534 GB
    June, 2011 0.123 GB

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Points: 51,481, Level: 100
    Overall activity: 0%
    avenue's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 51
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,805



    Quote Originally Posted by piercedgeek View Post
    nope, not sure that I even could with those speeds!
    from account:
    March, 2011 0.445 GB
    April, 2011 0.240 GB
    May, 2011 0.534 GB
    June, 2011 0.123 GB
    That can either be the phone or the network. I usually would say it is the network but I do remember reading about improved reception with different settings.

    If it is the network it can be congested if there are a lot of people on it or it can be a different problem. Try doing speed tests at different times to see if that makes a difference.

  14. #13
    Member
    Points: 1,249, Level: 19
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    piercedgeek's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    174
    Phone
    HTC EVO



    Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    That can either be the phone or the network. I usually would say it is the network but I do remember reading about improved reception with different settings.

    If it is the network it can be congested if there are a lot of people on it or it can be a different problem. Try doing speed tests at different times to see if that makes a difference.
    Different times, days, PRLs, Radio/PRI flashes, ROMS, Froyo, Gingerbread, nothing seems to help. Have good signal strength, but data is near useless (and at times stops working altogether). Has been this way for about a month. The only place I seem to get decent data (about 70 kbps up) is the Walgreens parking lot around the corner from my house, everywhere else is awful... a month ago though, it was always great.
    Been trying to score a cheap EVO on ebay over the last few weeks, to see if that will help, but no luck just yet. Once the EVO 3D is released I'm hoping a flood of old EVOs will bring the price down a bit.

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Points: 2,250, Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    valentinoh's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 26
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    San Antonio,TX
    Posts
    378
    Phone
    DroidX Apex rom2.0



    Quote Originally Posted by piercedgeek View Post
    Different times, days, PRLs, Radio/PRI flashes, ROMS, Froyo, Gingerbread, nothing seems to help. Have good signal strength, but data is near useless (and at times stops working altogether). Has been this way for about a month. The only place I seem to get decent data (about 70 kbps up) is the Walgreens parking lot around the corner from my house, everywhere else is awful... a month ago though, it was always great.
    Been trying to score a cheap EVO on ebay over the last few weeks, to see if that will help, but no luck just yet. Once the EVO 3D is released I'm hoping a flood of old EVOs will bring the price down a bit.
    Do you have updated kernel for the rom that you are using?

    Swyped this from my DroidX using Tapatalk
    Last edited by valentinoh; 06-14-2011 at 02:56 PM.

  16. #15
    Member
    Points: 1,249, Level: 19
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    piercedgeek's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    174
    Phone
    HTC EVO



    yes, tried multiple kernels. Right now I'm using the MikG ROM along with the kernel they suggested to load with it

 

 
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 06:41 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 02:21 AM
  3. Droid X Bootstrap Recovery Download
    By AndroidDude in forum Verizon Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 08:45 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 05:46 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2010, 07:11 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Advertise With Us?
Advertise with us? (Position 1 - Advertise with Us) Small Banner