Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

Bad news from Cricket store

Went to my neighborhood Cricket store to switch my daughter's iPhone 5s to the new cricket. I asked about when Cricket is going to start doing special trade-in deals for owners of Cricket CDMA phones. They didn't think there will be anything more than what has been offered. $160 for my three month old S4. So, when it's payed-off, I'll be playing with S4 GSM logic boards to see if I can get one to fit in my S4. I thought that Cricket was required by their agreement with the FCC to treat us right. Guess not.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Its a numbers game to see how many pissed off existing customers they will lose vs those that dont care and new ones thry can attract. That part of setting the trade in price.

sent from the future.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by rsdin559 View Post
    ... I thought that Cricket was required by their agreement with the FCC to treat us right. Guess not.
    the wording used by AT&T could mean anything in reality, sadly the FCC is on AT&T's side. .. .

Game of phones: how Verizon is playing the FCC and its customers | The Verge

Overall activity: 24.0%

Customer Since
    May 2011
    Phone
    Droid Razr

Quote Originally Posted by indica View Post
    the wording used by AT&T could mean anything in reality, sadly the FCC is on AT&T's side. .. .

Game of phones: how Verizon is playing the FCC and its customers | The Verge

The FCC is really on neither side. But besides that what you are asking is to soon. They are not going to make decisions no greater incentives until closer to when they want to shut down the CDMA network.

Why would you offer someone say $300 for a used S4 now when you know than in February of next year the phone is going to be older, worth less, and the replacement cost less.

Basically if they wait until closer to the time they could offer you say $200 for your S4, a little higher amount, but the S4 would also only be sellign for say $300..

That is simply business, they are going to wait until they need to in order to get customers to switch and save. Right now they aren't rushed to switch customers.

Overall activity: 8.0%

Customer Since
    03/2014

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Boy have I been all over this question. i just had a response published on PCMag Live and they said that its early yet but that later in the fall there could be incentives to switch devices. Not tremendously encouraging. I have contacted Cricket corporate and their phone goes to a full mailbox. I have written them a letter. I have complained through the FCC and the 48 hour response requirement is now at ten days...nothing. The people at the corporate store know zero. A third their customer service supervisor admitted she's rather lose me as a customer than offer a discount on swapping devices. I am not encouraged by this company's support.

Customer Since
    May 2011
    Phone
    Droid Razr

Quote Originally Posted by corkymiller View Post
    Boy have I been all over this question. i just had a response published on PCMag Live and they said that its early yet but that later in the fall there could be incentives to switch devices. Not tremendously encouraging. I have contacted Cricket corporate and their phone goes to a full mailbox. I have written them a letter. I have complained through the FCC and the 48 hour response requirement is now at ten days...nothing. The people at the corporate store know zero. A third their customer service supervisor admitted she's rather lose me as a customer than offer a discount on swapping devices. I am not encouraged by this company's support.
    First a customer service supervisor has no control over device incentives or any information about such. Regardless what they say, they are bound by certain rules passed down from corporate, including how much they get in trouble for offering additional discounts. If it was your job vrs saving a customer which would you prefer????

Now, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FIND INFORMATION! Do you really think AT&T is dumb? If they tell you there will be incentives towards the end of 2014 and beginning of 2015 are you going to switch to the GSM network now? Easy answer, probably not.

So, lets take all those cricket users out there (probably well over 50% of the client base) that are using $100 Cricket phones or standard flip phones. Most people don't go spending $200+ on a phone. AT&T wants as many of these customers to switch before they start offering any additional incentives.

It's called "BUSINESS". They don't need you off the CDMA network yet, they have people still paying on phones that will have to be dealt with, etc... Any additional incentives aren't going to happen until there is "Business Need".

Over the next 6 months they are going to work out all the bugs for switching people over and they are going to snag all those people who want on LTE now, instead of later, along with all the people who break phones over the next 6 months, etc....

When it starts to become a business need to prep for the shut down of the CDMA network Cricket will start offering incentives to get the remaining customers to switch.

That not only is the way the business world works, but is good business as it retains the most amount of income into AT&T's pocket with the least amount of expenditure, but still allows them time to offer remaining customers greater discounts, etc... to switch.

I also suspect that when they do this it will arrive in the form of a mailed out flyer "ONLY" to the customers still on the CDMA network. Those that signed up on the GSM network or have already switched will probably never even hear about those incentives directly.
    I al

Customer Since
    03/2014

Quote Originally Posted by gsdreams View Post
    First a customer service supervisor has no control over device incentives or any information about such. Regardless what they say, they are bound by certain rules passed down from corporate, including how much they get in trouble for offering additional discounts. If it was your job vrs saving a customer which would you prefer????

Now, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FIND INFORMATION! Do you really think AT&T is dumb? If they tell you there will be incentives towards the end of 2014 and beginning of 2015 are you going to switch to the GSM network now? Easy answer, probably not.

So, lets take all those cricket users out there (probably well over 50% of the client base) that are using $100 Cricket phones or standard flip phones. Most people don't go spending $200+ on a phone. AT&T wants as many of these customers to switch before they start offering any additional incentives.

It's called "BUSINESS". They don't need you off the CDMA network yet, they have people still paying on phones that will have to be dealt with, etc... Any additional incentives aren't going to happen until there is "Business Need".

Over the next 6 months they are going to work out all the bugs for switching people over and they are going to snag all those people who want on LTE now, instead of later, along with all the people who break phones over the next 6 months, etc....

When it starts to become a business need to prep for the shut down of the CDMA network Cricket will start offering incentives to get the remaining customers to switch.

That not only is the way the business world works, but is good business as it retains the most amount of income into AT&T's pocket with the least amount of expenditure, but still allows them time to offer remaining customers greater discounts, etc... to switch.

I also suspect that when they do this it will arrive in the form of a mailed out flyer "ONLY" to the customers still on the CDMA network. Those that signed up on the GSM network or have already switched will probably never even hear about those incentives directly.
    I al
    Sorry, new here...
    Ok. I see your point. One could see how troubling it is, however, to continue selling pending obsolete devices and not informing those unknowingly buying them. And "it's just business" is no excuse to not respond to FCC complaints or have full voice mail boxes at corporate numbers, or have tech support people tell you all you have to do is get your Sim card switched, or not train your staff to assure customers, or continue selling CDMA devices, or promise to call back in 48 -72 hours and not call.
    Why do I stay then? I like the value of the plan. And I hold optimism that when the transition happens, the GSM network will have reasonably good reception, unlike now, in my city of Portland, Or. And I invested my Galaxy S3 and $200. for my S4.

Customer Since
    May 2011
    Phone
    Droid Razr

Misinformation is going to happen in this situation unfortunately. Most people have no clue what the difference is between a CDMA and GSM network. I know people who have been on Verizon without ever knowing what a SIM is, and the same goes the other way with comments like "You have a phone without a SIM"?

Personally I get a lot better reception in Boise, ID on the AT&T network vrs the cricket network and the data speeds are 100% better.

As for FCC complaints, the FCC forwards them and then the AT&T responds to the FCC. That can take months. As for the rest of it, yeah I don't really agree. When the merger was approved in March I believe that Cricket should have stopped selling any CDMA phones valued over $200, but on a business side of that I can understand not wanting to lose the inventory. It would have been a gamble either way, they just took the opposite one I would have.

Are your phones Cricket branded or another carrier? If the S4 is not a Cricket or US Cellular phone it has GSM capabilities, I would have to look up the S3 to know depending on brand.

Customer Since
    03/2014

My S4 is Cricket CDMA.

Customer Since
    May 2011
    Phone
    Droid Razr

Quote Originally Posted by corkymiller View Post
    My S4 is Cricket CDMA.
    Was going to PM you but the system doesn't like me. lol

I don't know what Craigslist is like where your at, but I got my Note 2 for $250 on craigslist w/ cases and other extras. I've seen S4's from $200 to $300 on Craigslist.

And, regardless what the corporate store might tell you, most Verizon LTE phones can be unlocked (via software changes) to work on GSM. Although you will have to do it yourself. My Razr M is currently on Cricket GSM w/ full data and MMS being used by my son. The Sprint S4 can be unlocked as well, but that is a whole different story. If you look up how to do it you'll understand why the Sprint one is a completely different project than unlocking a Verizon phone...........

Customer Since
    03/2014

Thanks..No unlocking/flashing for me...
    I will continue rattling cages and holding feet to fire. I make corporate communication videos for a living and I must press the issue of a communications company not communucating.

Overall activity: 5.0%
    Customer Since
    Phone
    AT&T Moto Atrix HD

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

dont bother to trade it in just cragslist it or ebay u get more

Customer Since
    03/2014

Good advice, thanks

Well, AT&T is paying huge money keeping the CDMA network going with engineers, techs, power bills, backhaul bills, etc... that also affects their business decision.

The best thing you can do is ride it till the end, and see what they give you.

I seriously doubt they will offer me enough to keep me from jumping to T-mobiles $30 plan, but maybe they will.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Street value for a Verizon S4 (clean ESN) is $200-$275. A few weeks ago I did a video showing that Cricket S4s were still selling for over $200.

Don't overprice your S4 in your mind since it cost so much when it came out. When did the S4 first hit shelves? April of 2013?
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information