Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Phone
    EVO 4G

Best Value: Differences between $35 PayGo, $45 Standard, and $55 Android plans

I understand the
    Cricket website

has their definitions of the different plans, but they are biased and have a sales pitch in their definitions. Can I get users of these different plans to comment on the features?

I currently pay for the $55 Android plan and don't think I'm getting the best value from Cricket based on what they offer. My data speeds average 0.90-1.40 Mpbs DL(unthrottled) and 0.08-0.10 Mpbs (throttled).

-Plan Descriptions-

$1/$2/$3 per day PayGo plans: talk/text/internet/mms/roaming/slow data; requires $0.25/daily add-on for wap; pay $0.10 for outgoing texts unless you use Google Voice for texting.

- in this thread: 1st page, post #7, user Whitefiretiger gives a very detailed explanation of the PayGo(the $1/$2/$3 per day plans)

$35 PayGo plan: talk/text/internet/mms/roaming charges/slow data speeds; think this plan is not listed on the Cricket website. You have to call into customer service for it. See below.

- in thread located here : 1st page, post #4 and #12, user Nukicks says he gets unlimited talk/text/pix/web for $35 on PayGo; 2nd page, post #19, user 154-4bdu114h tells how to get the $35 PayGo plan

- in thread located here : user Nukicks has more info about this $35 PayGo plan. Looks to be identical to $45 Standard plan except $10 cheaper!

$45 Standard: talk/text/internet/mms/slow data speeds

$55 Android: talk/text/internet/mms/high speed data; will get throttled after 1GB data soft cap and DL speeds slow down to same as other plans

-Questions-

Are there any differences, other than price, between the $35 PayGo and the $45 Standard plans? Unanswered, but based on this(post #4 and #12), it appears there are no differences in features

Do the $35 PayGo and the $45 Standard plans include data throttling after hitting soft caps? This was answered. These plans have data throttling.

Once I'm getting throttled, is there any benefit to having the $55 Android plan versus one of these cheaper plans above? it appears that there is no benefit; I have been testing for a couple days between the Android plan DL speed and the $35/$45 plan DL speeds. I am throttled and DL speeds are the same on either plan. I did this using mraabhimself's GreenK45 apk and enabling/disabling.

Can some of the $35 and $45 plan users post your DL speeds that you average and streaming experiences with Netflix, Pandora, Youtube, etc.? One user answered that he has maxed out 850kbps on the PayGo, but it will vary by location.

-Summary-

I'm just starting to gather the information, but it looks like there are minor differences in the $35 PayGo, $45 Standard, and $55 Android plans. If you don't mind the work in setting up your APN settings, etc., the $35 and/or $45 plans seem to give the same features as the $55 including talk/text/internet/market/mms. The major difference I see is the $55 Android will give you much faster DL speeds until you hit your 1GB soft cap. Once the cap is hit, they are all equal. I may be wrong in this info here and will update it if so.

Last edited by ksechrest; 07-21-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: update answers to questions

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by ksechrest View Post
    I understand the
    Cricket website

has their definitions of the different plans, but they are biased and have a sales pitch in their definitions. Can I get users of these different plans to comment on the features?

I currently pay for the $55 Android plan and don't think I'm getting the best value from Cricket based on what they offer. My data speeds average 0.90-1.40 Mpbs DL(unthrottled) and 0.08-1.00 Mpbs (throttled).

-My understanding-

$35 PayGo plan: talk/text/internet/mms/roaming charges/slow data speeds; may require $0.25/daily for wap depending on market

$45 Standard: talk/text/internet/mms/slow data speeds

$55 Android: talk/text/internet/mms/high speed data; will get throttled after 1GB data

-Questions-

Are there any differences, other than price, between the $35 PayGo and the $45 Standard plans?

Do the $35 PayGo and the $45 Standard plans include data throttling after hitting soft caps?

Once I'm getting throttled, is there any benefit to having the $55 Android plan versus one of these cheaper plans above?

Can some of the $35 and $45 plan users post your DL speeds that you average and streaming experiences with Netflix, Pandora, Youtube, etc.?

Thanks in advance. Hoping to save more money!
    I think PayGo also has throttling. Whitefiretiger has PayGo and gets throttled.

If you're throttled I don't think it matters which plan you're on. If you throttled on PayGo it will probably be just as slow as if you're throttled on the regular Android plan.

Phone
    EVO 4G

ok, that's some of the info I'm looking for. I run through my first 1GB of data on the Android plan quickly within a week or so and I don't think it would be worth it to pay an extra $10-20 just for high speed data for that 1st week.

ok, that's some of the info I'm looking for. I run through my first 1GB of data on the Android plan quickly within a week or so and I don't think it would be worth it to pay an extra $10-20 just for high speed data for that 1st week.
    Now you're making me wonder if I should switch.

I can use Google Voice for text messaging and pay twenty five cents a day for data. Even if I talk every day, that would total $37.50/month, which isn't bad.

Phone
    EVO 4G

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    Now you're making me wonder if I should switch.

I can use Google Voice for text messaging and pay twenty five cents a day for data. Even if I talk every day, that would total $37.50/month, which isn't bad.
    Exactly why I started this thread...just looking to maximize my money spent!

Exactly why I started this thread...just looking to maximize my money spent!
    Yeah, I'd really like to switch to Virgin Mobile's $45/month plan. I really don't need unlimited minutes. I'd be happy with 800 - 1,200 minutes for around $40 - $45/month, with unlimited messaging and data. I've been very loyal to Cricket though, so I don't see myself switching.

The PayGo plan looks like a great deal though, especially if I can keep everything the same and save $15+ each month.

Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket

$35 PayGo plan: talk/text/internet/mms/roaming charges/slow data speeds; may require $0.25/daily for wap
    Ok so if you are interested in PayGo then you need to understand that out has no set monthly price. There is 3 options for paygo the only one that makes any since to me is the $1 per day plan but this does not include unlimited text, pics, web, or long distance calling. Now don't freak out yet; this isn't a big deal if you are willing to work a little to save money.
    The $1 per day plan is set up as follows:
    ~If you do not use your phone for the day you pay nothing. (so in other words if you make a call, answer a call, send a text or picture message you will be charged $1 for that day *note below)
    ~To use data only cost 25 for each 24 hour access (this is very inexpensive at only $7.50 for a month) throtteling does apply to paygo customers. The data speed does very on paygo by location and phone (I myself have hit 850kbps max but know people that have gotten over 1mbps download speed)
    ~ Text/pix messaging: you get sms/mms incoming for free but this is where things get discouraging because outgoing is 10 each (this adds up fast) for the lot of people that would die without texting (still dont get it; "its called a phone people, you talk on it") so for those that cant stand not being able to text there is options the first and most preferable is using google voice to send text messages (does not support pix or sound) the next option is use an email account (every mobile phone has a email address that can be used for texting) the only drawback to this is it uses your data but at 25 a day and you can do more than text with that data; its worth it.
    ~ If you frequently call long distance then paygo is not for you. To make outgoing long distance calls is 10 per minute (that's $1 for a 10 minute call)

I can't say that I've ever encountered roaming charges (and my phone hasnt said roaming since I started using hybrid prl

That's about all I have to say for paygo right now other than dont look at the $2 or $3 plans they are a rip off.

As a note I do use my phone in some way or another day and I normaly dont spend more than $34.02 with tax for my phone every month. (note my sales tax is 13% here for cell phone service so I spend about $30 every month pretax) the most my phone has ever caust me for a month was right around $42.38. (that was talk and data every day with tax)

If anybody has any more questions about paygo please feel free to ask me ive been using it for a long time.

Swyped from my Cricket Droid os 2.3.4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by whitefiretiger; 07-20-2011 at 12:06 AM.

Phone
    EVO 4G

Great info Whitefiretiger. What about the info here: in thread located here : 1st page, post #4 and #12, user Nukicks says he gets talk/text/pix/web for $35 on PayGo; 2nd page, post #19, user 154-4bdu114h tells how to get the $35 PayGo plan

Great info Whitefiretiger. What about the info here: in thread located here : 1st page, post #4 and #12, user Nukicks says he gets talk/text/pix/web for $35 on PayGo; 2nd page, post #19, user 154-4bdu114h tells how to get the $35 PayGo plan
    I thought there was a $1, $2, and $3 a day plan, in addition to the monthly plan. I also thought the $2 and $3 plans were the same as the $35 and $45 PayGo plan if you don't want to pay by the day, but instead by the month.

Phone
    EVO 4G

I'm not sure yet, but they look different based on Nukicks' post in the other thread. He says he gets all of the features unlimited for only $35/month. No $0.25/day wap or $0.10/outgoing text.

I'm coming up on my billing cycle in about a week and hoping to change out to something cheaper myself. Just info gathering right now.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Sigh I have a big decision to make when the Evo 3D gets root and s-off. Here's my data stats for the last few months:

February, 2011 2.822 GB
    March, 2011 2.410 GB
    April, 2011 2.711 GB
    May, 2011 3.228 GB
    June, 2011 2.071 GB
    July, 2011 1.215 GB

My current location isn't good for data speed wise, but I got 112ms ping time / 1.11 Mbps down / .72 Mbps up. They haven't throttled me yet.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    EVO 4G

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    Sigh I have a big decision to make when the Evo 3D gets root and s-off. Here's my data stats for the last few months:

February, 2011 2.822 GB
    March, 2011 2.410 GB
    April, 2011 2.711 GB
    May, 2011 3.228 GB
    June, 2011 2.071 GB
    July, 2011 1.215 GB

My current location isn't good for data speed wise, but I got 112ms ping time / 1.11 Mbps down / .72 Mbps up. They haven't throttled me yet.
    Nice, enjoy being unthrottled for now. I think mine kicked in around 1.90GB.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I have to listen to my favorite radio station in Houston or Pandora while in the car . I know the throttling is just around the corner.

Sent from a Cricket HTC EVO 3D via Tapatalk.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    EVO 4G

I have been testing for a couple days between the Android plan DL speed and the $35/$45 plan DL speeds. I am throttled and DL speeds are the same on either plan. I did this using mraabhimself's GreenK45 apk and enabling/disabling.

I have the Android $55 plan, but when I enable the GreenK45.apk setting, I'm running at the same speeds as if I were paying for the lower tier plans.

After being throttled, my DL speeds are the same. I would even say the throttled 35/45 plan speed stays more consistent and the Android plan speed jumps around alot. Example: Android plan DL may jump from 45-95 kbps where the 35/45 plan speed stays more in the range of 80-100kpbs.

Android plan does ping alot quicker and of course is alot quicker when unthrottled, but that's only until I hit my 1GB soft cap and then I see no advantage of the more expensive plan.

Phone
    LG Optimus C

The $35/Month PayGo plan seems to be similar to the $2/Day PayGo plan, and the $45/Month PayGo plan seems to be similar to the $3/Day PayGo plan. Though, what I wonder is that if they have the $35 PayGo plan then what's the point of having the $35 regular plan? The $35 PayGo plan is much better than the $35 regular plan since you get picture messaging, 3 way calling, call waiting and the option to use mobile web for $.25 (or possibly free in some areas if it works the same as the per day PayGo plans), and you don't have to pay the monthly fee every month like with the regular plans if you don't need to use your phone for a period of time. Maybe this is why they keep the monthly PayGo plans hidden on the PayGo activation page rather than put it on the regular PayGo plans page.

Also unless you for some reason like using 411 despite all the free 411 services available through web or phone (like goog-411 and 800-free-411) the $3 plan is a waste of money since the $.25 extra (if you're even charged for it) for mobile web isn't much more.

I'm not sure yet, but they look different based on Nukicks' post in the other thread. He says he gets all of the features unlimited for only $35/month. No $0.25/day wap or $0.10/outgoing text.

I'm coming up on my billing cycle in about a week and hoping to change out to something cheaper myself. Just info gathering right now.
    I'm on the $1/Day PayGo plan and I don't get charged for the $.25 for mobile web either, but I still get charged $.10 for outgoing text messages, although sometimes it allows me to send them for free but with SMS only, not MMS.
    Last edited by funnyboy243; 08-02-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Thread Information