Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Canuck here. Would like to give Cricket my business.

Hi All,

This Cricket community is pretty impressive. I'm glad that the company seems interested in freeing people's hardware (that they bought fair and square) from arbitrary restrictions imposed on them.

I live in Canada and I travel to the US from time to time. I recently bought an unlocked droid 3 global XT862 (still waiting for it in the mail) and I'll be activating it on a local network (Koodo/Telus) as an HSPA phone with a SIM card. From time to time, I want to travel to the US, but as some might know, Verizon has "band-locked" the XT862 from being used on US GSM networks. Bummer. My current plan is to buy another handset from my home network to use in the US and just swap SIM cards as necessary.

However, it looks like I might be able to use this phone's CDMA chipset on Cricket when I'm down here. What options are there for that? I understand that ESN cloning is a big no-no (though I have an additional ESN/MEID combination from my old CDMA phone that I could use if necessary), but I have to do something to the MEID via flashing? On another note, could I technically flash my ESN/MEID to that of my current phone and my company wouldn't be able to tell?

Secondly, could I put this phone on a pay-as-you go plan with Cricket somehow? I understand that data would be restricted somehow, but what about text and voice?

Thanks again everyone. I'm really impressed with all the hard work that's been put in here!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

Greetings from a Canadian expatriate..

If you're using GSM in Canada, you could likely just flash the CDMA settings to Cricket and switch to CDMA when you cross the border, don't you think?

As far as pre paid, you'd probably come out cheaper just buying a paygo phone, since you get the first 5 dollars, what sucks is you gotta pay 2 dollars a day for long distance.

About how much time do you spend here on average?

That's what I'm hoping, but will Cricket let me activate just any old ESN on their network?

If I flash the Cricket settings into the CDMA device, what does that do to the GSM/HSPA side? Anyone know?

And to answer your question, not all that often. Maybe for a couple weeks every quarter.

Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by hematose View Post
    That's what I'm hoping, but will Cricket let me activate just any old ESN on their network?

If I flash the Cricket settings into the CDMA device, what does that do to the GSM/HSPA side? Anyone know?

Yes they would, but if you're only spending a few weeks here at a time it's probably best just to get a cheap cricket phone and activate yourself on the 35 dollar plan every visit. They may charge a activation fee but you'd only be paying $15 activation + 35 +tax, probably are 56 dollars.. You'd be able to use it nationwide and call back home unlimited. It would be much less hassle than having to flash the phone every time you come (if you're gone for over 2 months you'll lose the number and have to have the phone reprogrammed)

When I first came down I called home from my koodo phone twice, boy what a mistake. Roaming + long distance killed me.

Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

Just wondering, where in Ontario are you from? I'm from Chatham if you ever heard of it, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 154-4bdu114h View Post
    Yes they would, but if you're only spending a few weeks here at a time it's probably best just to get a cheap cricket phone and activate yourself on the 35 dollar plan every visit. They may charge a activation fee but you'd only be paying $15 activation + 35 +tax, probably are 56 dollars.. You'd be able to use it nationwide and call back home unlimited. It would be much less hassle than having to flash the phone every time you come (if you're gone for over 2 months you'll lose the number and have to have the phone reprogrammed)

When I first came down I called home from my koodo phone twice, boy what a mistake. Roaming + long distance killed me.
    Cricket has unlimited calling to Canada on their plans at no additional charge? I didn't know that.

Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    Cricket has unlimited calling to Canada on their plans at no additional charge? I didn't know that.
    Yes they do, my wife used to call me non-stop from her Cricket phone while I was still in Canada, and I call home all the time.

You can talk, text, picture text, canada all unlimited.

Yes they do, my wife used to call me non-stop from her Cricket phone while I was still in Canada, and I call home all the time.

You can talk, text, picture text, canada all unlimited.
    Thank for the information.

They really should put that in the plan description so people know about it.

Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    Thank for the information.

They really should put that in the plan description so people know about it.
    Well as far as I know, for the past decade or two when a phone company on either side of the border refers to "Nationwide Calling" they mean both the US and Canada except in rare cases.

Well as far as I know, for the past decade or two when a phone company on either side of the border refers to "Nationwide Calling" they mean both the US and Canada except in rare cases.
    Oh, I always thought of nationwide as being just the United States. Thanks again.

Thread Information