Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

Cricket forcing me off plan, by not allowing any new phone. Isn't extortion illegal??

I have tried several times to add my new phone to my account, to no avail. Cricket tells me that they cannot swap ANY new phone to this account, unless I switch plans....and pay more money, of course.

I currently pay $25.00 per month for unlimited local talk/text. They said they cannot swap a phone until I pay for the $35.00 per month plan. This is extortion. Plain and simple.

It IS NOT a Paygo plan. As you can see - below - it IS an unlimited plan. I have been on it well over a year, have swapped two phones and now all of a sudden am not allowed to swap ANY phones, regardless of model.

Grandfathered plans are protected and I do not see how they can legally do this???

Cricket Unlimited (M25)
    Unlimited Anytime Minutes-TOL (I)
    Games and Apps DAT-DAX (I)
    Free Caller ID-FID (I)
    Regulatory Recovery-REC
    Unlimited Text Messaging-TXT

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    Admire 2 64GB

Man just get over it and pay the difference for the new plan. I don't get why you have to make such a big deal about it.

Probably for the same reason you bought a crappy, low-end phone - The Huawei. To save money.

It is also partly how they are doing it.

Overall activity: 4.0%

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

It's not extortion at all

I'm not saying I agree with them or think it's right, but Verizon did pretty much the same thing when they got rid of unlimited data.

Phone Whore(;
    Phone
    Apple iPhone 5

Quote Originally Posted by andrewoman View Post
    Probably for the same reason you bought a crappy, low-end phone - The Huawei. To save money.

It is also partly how they are doing it.
    I wouldn't consider it all that low end of a phone considering that the price for the Merc is the same for a brand new HTC EVO 4G off of either Craigslist or eBay. The HTC EVO 4G is not a low end phone. Knocking people because of there choice of phone isn't cool. Unless you have an iPhone... Then it's okay (;

The reason why you have to change is because it's an OLD PLAN. Verizon did it and I'm sure others have too. Honestly, you're the only person that I have seen with the 25 dollar plan. There's probably also a million other reasons why you can't keep it.
    *Please PM me ONLY if you have posted in the forum, and I have not replied. Thank you.*

Wanna know how I became a SuperMod?? I got engaged to the creator of the site. (;

Find devices to flash to Cricket here (refine the search to find the phone model you desire).
    Feel free to donate so we can get more devices to write tutorials on!
    GreenK45 - Automatic proxy setup (u2nl/autostart) for Android flashed phone users on the $45 plan. Now available on the Android Market!

Knocking people because of there choice of phone isn't cool. Unless you have an iPhone... Then it's okay (;

Apparently you did not read his useless comments: "
    Man just get over it and pay the difference for the new plan. I don't get why you have to make such a big deal about it."

Frankly, his comments are a waste of space. I was looking for thoughtful answers, not the obvious.

Phone Whore(;
    Phone
    Apple iPhone 5

This thread is a waste of space. I have read all comments.

If you want to put a new phone on your account, you are going to obviously have to change the plan. Complaining about it isn't gonna change your situation. There is no way you can keep your plan. I know for a fact.

Find a way to fix it. You're obviously gonna have to make some sacrifices.
    *Please PM me ONLY if you have posted in the forum, and I have not replied. Thank you.*

Wanna know how I became a SuperMod?? I got engaged to the creator of the site. (;

Find devices to flash to Cricket here (refine the search to find the phone model you desire).
    Feel free to donate so we can get more devices to write tutorials on!
    GreenK45 - Automatic proxy setup (u2nl/autostart) for Android flashed phone users on the $45 plan. Now available on the Android Market!

"I have read all comments."

Interesting that you read all comments on a waste of space thread.

Of course I know I can change plans. That is GLARINGLY obvious. I am not complaining. I was looking for intelligent responses. Not obvious options that I am clearly aware of.

The FCC will give the final answer. Your protestations that you "know for a fact" are useless, as well. Your self-professed "authority" is hardly the last word.

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

"Cricket tells me that they cannot swap ANY new phone to this account" ....do they say that because their computer wont let them? Maybe they are locked out from doing it now unlike last time?

And if you ladies would like to continue this conversation in a tub of red jello, i will buy the first round of beers for everyone, lol.

I don't think it's right that they're forcing people to switch their plans, but I guess that's just the way it is.

I understand how you feel. I wouldn't want to pay $10 more each month for the same thing either. That's a waste.

If Cricket had the buy three months get one free offer I'd suggest getting that to make up for it, but they're not offering it right now.

"....do they say that because their computer wont let them? Maybe they are locked out from doing it now unlike last time?"

I think a code is linked to the plan now, thus blocking any changes. I think that, yes, the rep is locked out, but they are doing a horrible job of explaining it all. Everywhere from outright lying to me, saying I am on a Paygo plan, to another rep saying I was on a 300 minute plan, etc. All of which are clearly not the case.

Their lying has added to my being suspicious of whether the rep is trying to upgrade my plan just to make money. I now think it is a directive from further up, to force people off the plans.

"And if you ladies would like to continue this conversation in a tub of red jello, i will buy the first round of beers for everyone, lol."

Funny stuff

Quote Originally Posted by andrewoman View Post
    "....do they say that because their computer wont let them? Maybe they are locked out from doing it now unlike last time?"

I think a code is linked to the plan now, thus blocking any changes. I think that, yes, the rep is locked out, but they are doing a horrible job of explaining it all. Everywhere from outright lying to me, saying I am on a Paygo plan, to another rep saying I was on a 300 minute plan, etc. All of which are clearly not the case.

Their lying has added to my being suspicious of whether the rep is trying to upgrade my plan just to make money. I now think it is a directive from further up, to force people off the plans.

"And if you ladies would like to continue this conversation in a tub of red jello, i will buy the first round of beers for everyone, lol."

Funny stuff
    I wouldn't say they're lying to you, it could just be a misunderstanding. There are a lot of people that accuse Cricket Wireless' representatives as lying, but I think most of the time they're just wrong. It's not their fault if they don't know or weren't trained properly. They should be taught to say "I don't know, please let me research that further." instead of just guessing.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Hate to be Captain Obvious cause I rather work for my money and be called SGT Rod, but this is how it is (perhaps officers/enlisted will understand that). Everything is obvious. They've established their policy, set their system (backend, commonly referred to as CID), and for the moment this is how it works. Perhaps not every employee / dealer is up to par on every single change (you've probably talked to a combination of authorized dealers/employees, premier dealers/employees, corporate dealers/employees, and/or telephone customer service reps. Many times people seem to be getting the run around because the person they are engaging in conversation with doesn't have the answer to everything.

If I find an update to their policy on grandfathered accounts that allow people to keep them after a device change, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Kirby was right.... There are companies like Verizon who grandfather some customers temporarily. Once they reached the end of their contract or made a change to your account (device change for instance) they lost their old plan.

There are many options when making inquiries. You seem to have covered most bases, however I was able to talk to a member of the social media team today in person, and I think it might be a good idea to try their support tab on the Cricket Facebook page. Please let us know the results, if you do decide to utilize it (assuming you haven't).
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

"I don't think it's right that they're forcing people to switch their plans, but I guess that's just the way it is."

Well now, there is some common sense

"I understand how you feel. I wouldn't want to pay $10 more each month for the same thing either. That's a waste."

It isn't like they offered it as a promotional plan. With the "real" phone company, you can see people on "old plans" all day long. They are grandfathered plans, no longer offered, and as long as the person doesn't switch to another plan, the phone company cannot force them off the plan.

Since wireless companies have come along, it is like the Wild West now. They don't seem to have to play by the same rules as the real phone company.

Oh well. It should be interesting what the FCC says about all this.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

"I wouldn't say they're lying to you, it could just be a misunderstanding."

I don't accuse them of lying, lightly. If you are looking right at my account, I do not see how you can say it is anything other than it being an unlimited plan, in plain English. A third-grader could read it. I posted the plan in my original post. It clearly states Unlimited and eludes in no way to 300 minutes or anything else.

I agree they shouldn't guess. But I fail to see how one could not read my info, telecommunications worker or not, and see that it is clearly Unlimited.

Phone
    Samsung Epic 4G

I have run into this same issue - I have a "grandfathered" 60 dollar plan which came with 200 roaming minutes. Along with this plan I also have 2 additional plans 45 dollar and 35 dollar, all grandfathered. I would not mind upgrading and even paying more but from what I have been told I cannot get the 200 roaming minutes. Now although they have come a long way, I travel quite a bit daily throughout the city and hit spots where there is only roaming coverage. So my plan is crucial to me as is. That being said, I may be forced back to Sprint or Verizon which do not roam, simply because my poor old cheapy phone is about dead. I do have 3 other cricket accounts, so I really am a fan of cricket. Just not their policies.
    Who knows maybe they will change their policy before my phone dies completely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information