Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Cricket Wireless Tethering Block (dates)

Name:  no-tethering.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  64.4 KB
    From information we received, Cricket will be placing the actual blocks on tethering at the following times:

Nov 30th: Kansas City PDSN (Kansas City / St. Louis)

Dec 7th: Denver PDSNs (Denver, Ft. Collins/Greely, CO Springs, Pueblo, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Knoxville, Little Rock, Fayetteville, Ft. Smith, Memphis, Jonesboro, San Diego, Salt Lake City, Provo, Boise, Reno, Spokane, Fresno, Modesto/Merced, Visalia, Portland, Salem, Eugene)

Dec 14th: All Remaining PDSNs / Markets

Those attempting to tether at this point will be redirected to a page about Cricket's tethering add on.

We can only guess what measures will be taken and what phones this will apply to. Not following Cricket's guidelines can always get your account shut off. Always consider these risks when attempting to circumvent these policies. Final question one must ask themselves is: "Is it worth it?"

Cricket Users is not affiliated with Cricket Wireless or Leap.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.

It looks like I'll be good for another ten days. After that I'll need to start using my phone instead of my laptop.

Thanks for the information! I'm glad I know a date now.

The Service is only an extra $10. I've eliminated my $5 insurance (pays for half the phone.. pfft HA), and just went ahead and slapped on the Tethering Option. $65 isn't that bad, however Shame on Cricket for not getting the word out better.

Nerd
    Phone
    Kyocera Dorado

We have to check if rooting will solve the issue.
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

Overall activity: 12.0%

I don't understand why its $10 extra when it didn't add anymore data lol

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gxrxd View Post
    I don't understand why its $10 extra when it didn't add anymore data lol

Yeah, I think it would have been nice if they would have set aside another 1 GB just for tethering. So, 1 GB for the phone, 1 GB for tethering, for $65/month total.

Overall activity: 12.0%

Yea..

Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket

I'm wondering if this will affect flashed phones. I guess well know soon

Quote Originally Posted by whitefiretiger View Post
    I'm wondering if this will affect flashed phones. I guess well know soon
    I think it will affect all phones.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Yikes! This is not good. Like others, I'm wondering if this will affect "flashed" AND "rooted" phones or only "their" phones?!

My Evo 4g is flashed and rooted.

Will Cricket know that we are "tethering" the internet if we are using a rooted phone and a rooted application (Open Garden Wifi Tether - available on the market)?

Quote Originally Posted by erjrsatx View Post
    Yikes! This is not good. Like others, I'm wondering if this will affect "flashed" AND "rooted" phones or only "their" phones?!

My Evo 4g is flashed and rooted.

Will Cricket know that we are "tethering" the internet if we are using a rooted phone and a rooted application (Open Garden Wifi Tether - available on the market)?
    I'm not sure how they're going to do it. I was thinking they would just stop the applications from being available for download in the Market (since I read Sprint does that), but since they said it will be redirecting to a Cricket page, that makes me think they're doing it a different way. We'll see what happens.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    I'm not sure how they're going to do it. I was thinking they would just stop the applications from being available for download in the Market (since I read Sprint does that).
    If this is the case, anyone who isn't a "complete newbie" will know that installing an application (like Open Garden Wifi Tether on a rooted phone) is effortless as they won't even need access to the "Marketplace" to install many programs.

You just find the "APK" file of the program you want to download from online and use the free app "Appinstaller" (from the "Marketplace") to install the APK file from the SD card (when you transfer it from your computer to the phone's SD card root).
    Last edited by erjrsatx; 12-05-2011 at 10:19 AM.

If this is the case, anyone who isn't a "complete newbie" will know that installing an application (like Open Garden Wifi Tether on a rooted phone) is effortless and they won't even have to need access to the "Marketplace."

You just find the "APK" file of the program you want to download from online and use the free app "Appinstaller" (from the "Marketplace" to install the APK file from the SD card (when you transfer it from your computer to the phone's SD card).
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, until I read that they're going to redirect you to a page to get Cricket's tethering plan. That makes me think they will allow the downloads from the Android Market, but you can only use them if you have the tethering plan.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, until I read that they're going to redirect you to a page to get Cricket's tethering plan. That makes me think they will allow the downloads from the Android Market, but you can only use them if you have the tethering plan.
    I think us flashed-phone users should be okay because Cricket can't "block" applications on a flashed phone from being used. Blocking "access" to download an application is one thing, but if it's already on the phone, there's not much they can do.

However, I don't wanna assume anything.

We'll see how it all plays out.

I think us flashed-phone users should be okay because Cricket can't "block" applications on a flashed phone from being used. Blocking "access" to download an application is one thing, but if it's already on the phone, there's not much they can do.

However, I don't wanna assume anything.

We'll see how it all plays out.
    I was thinking it would allow you to connect to the Internet, but whenever you type in a website it will automatically go to Cricket's tethering add-on part of the site. I agree, I don't think Cricket can actually block an application that is already on the phone.

I'm still wondering how they're going to tell the difference between using the Internet on the phone and tethering.

Now that I think of it.. I was trying to tether a Verizon phone a few years ago, and it did redirect to their site trying to add the option. So, I guess they do know how to do it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information