Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Cricket Wireless and "Unlimited" - False Advertising?

Do you think Cricket Wireless should be advertising their data as "unlimited" on their Android, Blackberry, and Broadband plans?

When you type in "define unlimited" on Google, it says "Not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.".

What do you think that means?

With Cricket, they will give you 1 GB of data at full speed on the Android and Blackberry plans, and either 2.5 GB, 5 GB, or 7.5 GB of data at full speed on the Broadband plans, depending on the plan you choose. After you reach that amount of data, you hit what is called a "soft cap". Your service still works, but the speed you get slows down. That is called throttling.

Do you think Cricket should still advertise their data as unlimited?

What does the definition of unlimited mean to you?

I'm interested in seeing what others think about this.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Phone
    HTC EVO

I think the way in which Cricket, and almost every other provider, uses the word unlimited is extremely misleading, and could fairly be called false advertising. At this point though it's hard to blame any one provider, because if one changes it (perhaps to "unrestricted speeds up to 1 GB, unlimited throttled data after", or even lesser of a mouthful "unlimited throttled data"), now they appear to be providing a "lesser" plan due to their honesty. So I don't really expect a change to be made by any of them until it becomes required by law that they be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by piercedgeek View Post
    I think the way in which Cricket, and almost every other provider, uses the word unlimited is extremely misleading, and could fairly be called false advertising. At this point though it's hard to blame any one provider, because if one changes it (perhaps to "unrestricted speeds up to 1 GB, unlimited throttled data after", or even lesser of a mouthful "unlimited throttled data"), now they appear to be providing a "lesser" plan due to their honesty. So I don't really expect a change to be made by any of them until it becomes required by law that they be honest.
    I understand what you're saying. If Cricket changes the way they advertise the plan, people will think they get more by going to another provider. Maybe it would be best if all of the companies were forced to be more clear, by law, like you said.

I saw a broadband card at Wal-Mart today and it said $40/month for unlimited web. I really think that is misleading.

If someone bought it, and two months later found out it wasn't "true unlimited" without "limits" (without limiting your speed, also known as throttling), I wonder what Cricket would do if they wanted to get a full refund. It probably says somewhere in small print on the box about being soft capped at 2.5 GB's, but I didn't see it. I wonder what would happen if they filed a report with the BBB. I still think it can be considered false advertising.

Maybe we'll start seeing plans with caps all over and the word "unlimited" won't be used anymore when referring to cell phone usage. I'm sure we will see in time.

Thread Information