Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

View Poll Results: Do you think Cricket should allow tethering and WiFi hotspot?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

7 70.00%
  • No.

1 10.00%
  • I'm not sure. It depends.

2 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

Do you think Cricket should allow tethering and WiFi hotspot?

Do you think Cricket should allow tethering and WiFi Hotspot?

If so, why?

If not, why not?

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    Droid 2

With their currently plans capped at 1GB, it would be a bad idea to implement tethering. Speed would be an issue as well. If I were to make the decision, instead of investing in wireless tethering through upgrades on their current network, I would roll out 4G and build with the capacity to support tethering in the future.

Right now in Salt Lake City, I am getting 800kps which is hardly tetherable.

Quote Originally Posted by xeromal View Post
    With their currently plans capped at 1GB, it would be a bad idea to implement tethering. Speed would be an issue as well. If I were to make the decision, instead of investing in wireless tethering through upgrades on their current network, I would roll out 4G and build with the capacity to support tethering in the future.

Right now in Salt Lake City, I am getting 800kps which is hardly tetherable.
    Actually, 800 kbps isn't that bad. That's almost 1 Mbps, which is what DSL advertises here. Not too long ago DSL used to be advertise at 768K. So, your Cricket speed is actually pretty good.

I'm tethering right now with 100 kbps, and it isn't really a problem. I can't stream videos or anything, but for the forum it's fine.

That's a good idea to build out the 4G network with tethering in mind. I didn't think of that.

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Tethering is on the radar, but I'd bet money it won't be allowed or sold as a feature until LTE is up and running. There just isn't the capacity right now on most markets to allow it without a serious hit on network performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Tethering is on the radar, but I'd bet money it won't be allowed or sold as a feature until LTE is up and running. There just isn't the capacity right now on most markets to allow it without a serious hit on network performance.
    So, from my understanding of it, the data isn't really what costs Cricket money, it's keeping it up and running (and running fast). The more people using data, the slower it will go. The slower it goes, the more they will need to spend upgrading the network. So, that is what costs, right?

Doesn't that mean if they throttle in a different way tethering might be able to be allowed?

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    So, from my understanding of it, the data isn't really what costs Cricket money, it's keeping it up and running (and running fast). The more people using data, the slower it will go. The slower it goes, the more they will need to spend upgrading the network. So, that is what costs, right?

Doesn't that mean if they throttle in a different way tethering might be able to be allowed?
    Think of network this way.
    The network is a garden hose.
    The water is the bandwidth available for calls and data.
    Customers have a cup (phone/modem) and the "drink" from the hose.
    The more customers you have drinking from that hose, the harder it is for everyone to get a drink consistently.
    Throttling helps the data part because when those folks hit their cap they have to trade in the cup for a thimble.
    Problem is the hose is only so big and will only push so much water.
    Tethering requires a bucket.
    More money may buy a nicer cup, but they don't sell buckets.

Now LTE.
    The hose is a thousand times or better bigger (my numbers) and the water flows a thousand times faster through it.
    Everyone has a bucket.

Simple and not perfect but I hope it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Think of network this way.
    The network is a garden hose.
    The water is the bandwidth available for calls and data.
    Customers have a cup (phone/modem) and the "drink" from the hose.
    The more customers you have drinking from that hose, the harder it is for everyone to get a drink consistently.
    Throttling helps the data part because when those folks hit their cap they have to trade in the cup for a thimble.
    Problem is the hose is only so big and will only push so much water.
    Tethering requires a bucket.
    More money may buy a nicer cup, but they don't sell buckets.

Now LTE.
    The hose is a thousand times or better bigger (my numbers) and the water flows a thousand times faster through it.
    Everyone has a bucket.

Simple and not perfect but I hope it makes sense.
    That kind of sounds like what I was trying to say, but that makes sense, yes.

Do you think they should allow tethering on LTE then?

I think it most deferentially should...
    I have alot of friends that would if they could tether.

Phone
    Mercury M886

I'm running ...I don't know 25 or 30 Cores of PC's at any given time; all at 100% capacity! Tethering for me just isn't an option, and to be honest, though each machines traffic is minimal, it isn't fair to my neighbors that I have at least 2 machines grabbing BandWidth at any given time!!!

My solution was simple as I have a few neighbors that are PC Geeks as well......we created a pool, if you will, of users and installed a WPA protected WiFi network,centrally located, where each member contributes $10/month....A few of my machines don't have WiFi cards so I simply disable Data Transfer (so I never access Crickets network...VERY IMPORTANT) enable WiFi and tethering ...and use my phone as a WiFi dongle while I charge it on these machines.....I'm not imposing on Cricket yet I'm taking full advantage of my M886 capabilities

Just a thought...

For use on one or two PC's I have conflicting thoughts

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by Sport View Post
    I'm running ...I don't know 25 or 30 Cores of PC's at any given time; all at 100% capacity
    wth?????

anyhow. hotspot and tethering from your android phone is not at all for a setup like that! in europe you can buy a straight 100mbps/100mbps home connection for what we spend on cable every month. .

Broadband Speeds Increase Around the World - But Not in the U.S.

<--- old news

tethering is a great source of revenue and for a large portion of our customers the ability to hook a phone to their computer to change the profile picture on facebook, or use internet explorer to do homework, or be able to play silly flash games is more than worth $10/mo

Tethering would be nice but most rooted phone's can do it with or without support from service providers. I also believe that if Cricket doesn't up their 1Gb data limit they will have to provide some WiFi hotspot's just to keep customers happy.

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by Sport View Post
    I'm running ...I don't know 25 or 30 Cores of PC's at any given time; all at 100% capacity! Tethering for me just isn't an option, and to be honest, though each machines traffic is minimal, it isn't fair to my neighbors that I have at least 2 machines grabbing BandWidth at any given time!!!
    This means what exactly in relation to "should Cricket allow tethering?" Hell what does it mean at all?
    Youve got a bunch of pc running and you dont tether. Doesnt seem like thethering would be something you'd even look at with that kind of need.
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Phone
    Mercury M886

Quote Originally Posted by indica View Post
    wth?????

anyhow. hotspot and tethering from your android phone is not at all for a setup like that! in europe you can buy a straight 100mbps/100mbps home connection for what we spend on cable every month. .
    If you'll kindly reread my post; I stated that I do NOT tether through Crickets network; but use my phones capabilities to bridge between our WiFi and a PC...

WOOF it has all to do with tethering...I COULD connect one machine at a time and tether; if I were paying for it I would have the right to do so...but as I stated it wouldn't be fair to my neighbors or Cricket!!!
    With only one or 2 machines I don't see where users should be charged for a service the phone provides out of the box...especially if the cap isn't broken
    Last edited by Sport; 02-19-2012 at 01:29 PM.

if the plan is capped i think it should be allowed with no other charge.... who cares how the person uses there data that they pay for

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

The whole thread is moot. Cricket charges for tethering whether we like it or not. Arguing against it here is pointless and won't change a thing.
    Lots of devices are crippled in our world until additional fees are paid to unlock them. This is not new or news.
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information