Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

FAQ: How is Cricket Tethering used?

Cricket Tethering lets you use your phone as a modem, or mobile hotspot, to share its Internet connection with other Internet-ready devices, such as laptops, tablets, mp3 players, gaming systems, and other connected devices via USB or Wi-Fi. Cricket allows tethering when you have a capable rate plan or feature. By adding Cricket Tethering to your service, Cricket will allow the sharing of data on your applicable line of service. See
    Terms and Conditions of Service

for details.

Source:
    How is Cricket Tethering used? | Cricket Wireless

2. Remove this advertisement.

Originally Posted by Woof
    Not even sure you can put the tethering feature on anything other than the A2. I can tether on my flashed evo 3d w/o the feature on my account, so I would think it wouldnt be needed.
    I posted most of this in another related thread, but it should be useful to know answers here too.

1) Does this mean some (flashed?) phones will still tether w/o the new official Cricket $10 monthly tether add-on? Maybe a flashed Android phone with the right Apps or something? Any details or knowledge base to do it?

2) I read some news somewhere that in 2012 Cricket will do some type of PayGo Day or short term Internet Data plan too, so I would assume one will be able to tether with these new short-term plans??? Any new info available?

3) Has it ever been possible to bluetooth or WiFi with 3rd party Apps & tether on the PayGo *Day* plans using their unlimited mobileweb internet connection? I'm confused by their unlimited mobileweb on their PG Day plans... meaning that mobileweb feature on the phone to access the Internet can't also be accessed by tethering to some software installed on the (flashed? android? or other?) phone w/3rd party apps... so a computer could be tethered to the Internet through that 3rd party android or other example on a PG per/day plan???

4) Also, can these flashed phones be hard/soft-set to run "locked onto" the higher speed 3g-rev.a (Internet access) network by forcing Cricket's web-access onto its 3g EVDO Rev. A speed & *not* downshift & off-ramp to slower speed as long as reception is good?

5) What speed(s) does mobileweb run at with PayGo *Day* plans vs other plans?

Thank you!
    Last edited by deVries; 01-30-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deVries View Post
    I posted most of this in another related thread, but it should be useful to know answers here too.

1) Does this mean some (flashed?) phones will still tether w/o the new official Cricket $10 monthly tether add-on? Maybe a flashed Android phone with the right Apps or something? Any details or knowledge base to do it?

2) I read some news somewhere that in 2012 Cricket will do some type of PayGo Day or short term Internet Data plan too, so I would assume one will be able to tether with these new short-term plans??? Any new info available?

3) Has it ever been possible to bluetooth or WiFi with 3rd party Apps & tether on the PayGo *Day* plans using their unlimited mobileweb internet connection? I'm confused by their unlimited mobileweb on their PG Day plans... meaning that mobileweb feature on the phone to access the Internet can't also be accessed by tethering to some software installed on the (flashed? android? or other?) phone w/3rd party apps... so a computer could be tethered to the Internet through that 3rd party android or other example on a PG per/day plan???

4) Also, can these flashed phones be hard/soft-set to run "locked onto" the higher speed 3g-rev.a (Internet access) network by forcing Cricket's web-access onto its 3g EVDO Rev. A speed & *not* downshift & off-ramp to slower speed as long as reception is good?

Thank you!
    1) Most phones are supposed to come up with a message asking you to add the tethering feature. That would mean it is blocked, and you need to add the feature. There might be a way around it, but I would suggest you pay the fee and support Cricket.

2) I'm not sure if tethering will be available on those plans. I don't think tethering is available on PAYGo right now.

3) I know people have tethered on the PAYGo plans, but I don't think it is supported.

4) I'm not sure about your question. Are you talking about avoiding throttling?

5) I think the speeds on PAYGo plans are a little slower, but from what I've heard it isn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    1) Most phones are supposed to come up with a message asking you to add the tethering feature. That would mean it is blocked, and you need to add the feature. There might be a way around it, but I would suggest you pay the fee and support Cricket.

2) I'm not sure if tethering will be available on those plans. I don't think tethering is available on PAYGo right now.

3) I know people have tethered on the PAYGo plans, but I don't think it is supported.

4) I'm not sure about your question. Are you talking about avoiding throttling?
    My numbers match your replied numbers above...

1) I'm guessing, cause I don't know, but maybe many flashed phones would not ask for tethering activation? ... A flashed phone just might not ask if it's not programmed in the phone to ask? I'm really just thinking about having a back-up connection to the net, so I wouldn't be using it but a few times each year for email and browser from home or elsewhere. My problem is my vision just doesn't allow me to use a tiny phone screen, so it's unusable for me. I can't justify paying $120 extra for such limited use & uselessness for my eye strain & "retarded" interaction.

2 & 3) Since Cricket allows porting other non-Cricket cell phones over to its network with *no support* or warranty, this allows for "the wild west" of free innovation & beta testing. Cricket must allow for these "gray areas" of innovation & very limited geek & hacker use. I'm guessing Android apps will open-up new features that service providers would want to charge for instead. I'm certain this opens new business models & opportunities to charge differently. It seems Ting of Tucows & Clear & Rogers have plans for short-term use or data-flex levels that adjust automatically at lower cost. This is better for gaining customers on bandwidth flex plans.

Cricket ought to jump ahead & do something for data on its PAYGo plans beyond mobileweb tiny screen cell phones. I think the PAYGo day use is an especially good idea that would be innovative. With tablets & mini-devices & netbooks & bigger screens than cell phones on multipurpose carry-around devices with VOIP & Apps & more spectrum there is no plateau to data usage & high price. Only those that can drive the price down with higher data allowances will survive.

4) No, not throtting for too much data use or overage, but just avoiding getting bumped down or connecting on a slower speed network so the signal is maintained on the higher speed data connection. Maybe some phones or flash settings will work better to lock-on to the higher speed connection and maintain it too?

Overall activity: 5.0%

Why is it when i teather or u my hotspot my signal disappears each and every time i have the mercury and i pay dor the teather but its a waste since i cant use it is tgere there something to fix this

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Phone
    huawei mercury, S4

idk i dont think its worth it at all. you use up your data fast. maybe once its truly unlimited without cricket slowering it down then ill get it but till then its a no go.

Sent from my rooted with cwm M886

Overall activity: 65.0%
    Phone
    PAE3D, ICS Merc

Quote Originally Posted by deVries View Post

Thank you!
    1) - although there are some flashed phones that are able to avoid this, it is still just better to go ahead and pay the monthly fee

2) - skipped, i have no answer

3) - not SUPPOSED to happen, but as #1 above, there are work arounds

4) - throttling cannot be controlled by phone, it is a system set up

5) - dont know

Thread Information