Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Galaxy S3

I fully agree with you

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth8883 View Post
    I don't even think cricket should be selling expensive phones right now. I think they should just provide service and sell budget phones. On top of that they should clearly inform every new customer that they will need to buy a new phone in 12 months.
    we got new price tags in store that clearly inform the customer the phones may not work in 12-18 months. i'm tellin everyone but i won't say don't buy that phone.

Phone
    Galaxy S3

Why not you should unless you're getting commission on phones you sale then I understand why you wouldn't I know I wouldn't lol

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

Customer Since
    Oct 2012
    Phone
    SCH-R970C

Cricket shouldn't even get/sell the s 5. Pointless.

Overall activity: 3.0%

I wrote a complaint to the FCC about the same issue. You can complain to the FCC on-line at:
    File Complaint | FCC.gov

The FCC regulates AT&T, Cricket, and Leap Wireless, and they specifically have authority to regulate unfair and deceptive acts and practices. AT&T needs to be made to reimburse us for our phones or give us comparable phones free of charge that will work on AT&T GSM network.

The text portion of my complaint stated the following:

"I am writing for myself and all customers of Cricket Wireless. As you know, Cricket was recently acquired by AT&T. AT&T has indicated that it will be terminating the Cricket CDMA network and continue Cricket service in some fashion on AT&T GSM network. My complaint is that I have two Cricket phones that are not going to work on AT&T's network, and I feel that AT&T is wrongfully appropriating the value of my phones. I know I do not have a long term contract with Cricket, but I certainly purchased my phones with the justifiable expectation of them continuing to have value as useful devices on the Cricket network for their expected life time. I feel as though Cricket, Leap Wireless, and AT&T are engaging in unfair practices and cheating me. I want to be reimbursed for the value of my phones, and if I choose to stay with Cricket operated by AT&T, I want them to provide me with comparable phone free to charge."

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

There might be a 4 month overlapping period where both cdma and gsm work. If they know their PR, they will make the switch offering an equivalent phone for $50-$100 and bump up your data plan for free. Just a guess.

sent from the future.

Now I'm really scared. I talked to the manager of the store where I bought the phone. He told me that it isn't a problem. Just swap the LTE simm card, and it'll be GSM! I still have about 10 days to return the phone. He's e-mailing corporate folks to see what the policy is, and to get a list of which phones will stop working 03/2015. My daughter's iPhone 5s doesn't have the disclaimer attached to it. Can iPhone technology use both GSM and CDMA? Like an international phone?

Gold Member

If it was that easy then people would already being swapping simm cards and you would see it on xda or google. He doesnt already know the policy or what phones so he doesnt know anything about simm swapping. Note the post in bold stating that "you will be able to choose a plan and a phone in the future".

sent from the future.

Overall activity: 3.0%

Quote Originally Posted by rsdin559 View Post
    Now I'm really scared. I talked to the manager of the store where I bought the phone. He told me that it isn't a problem. Just swap the LTE simm card, and it'll be GSM! I still have about 10 days to return the phone. He's e-mailing corporate folks to see what the policy is, and to get a list of which phones will stop working 03/2015. My daughter's iPhone 5s doesn't have the disclaimer attached to it. Can iPhone technology use both GSM and CDMA? Like an international phone?

AT&T is depriving us of the value of our phones. They need to give us fair value for them, either a cash settlement, or an equivalent phone for free or nominal cost. To make this happen, we have to file complaints with the FCC, who can force AT&T to compensate us, which you can do here:
    File Complaint | FCC.gov

WiseOldMan, you are making me feel better. I'll see what the Cricket corporate people say before I decide what to do, but I'm thinking about not taking the phone back. Trading it in in a year doesn't sound so bad. Especially if we get to use AT&T's 4g LTE network until then. Thanks.

The manager of the Cricket store got the e-mail from corporate I mentioned earlier. All phones supported by Cricket at this time will not work on Cricket in 12 to 18 months. Emphasis on the period. He said that Cricket will be offering very generous trade in values to their current Cricket customers. He said that right now, if someone wanted to trade in their S4 for an iPhone 5s (yeah I know, stupid example), they would get about $380 for trade in. So the loyalty trade in would be more than that. Also, flashed phones will not be able to be used. With CDMA gone, that makes sense. I don't know about unlocked GSM phones. He also said that Cricket branded 4g LTE phones will be able to use AT&T's LTE network sometime after the end of March. I'm guessing that it's a perk to keep us from jumping ship. I'm also guessing it will require us to get a new LTE simm card from Cricket. He also said that he is going to buy the Galaxy S5 as soon as it's available for himself. He's not worried about it costing too much to switch to an AT&T phone. So it's good and bad news. I'm thinking I'll keep my S4 and see what happens.

Gold Member

Thats sounds about right as a buisness decision. Everyone should do some speed tests now and do some test in april just to see what improvments they get. And I assume the coverage map is ATTs map.

sent from the future.

It's life, live it!
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by rsdin559 View Post
    The manager of the Cricket store got the e-mail from corporate I mentioned earlier. All phones supported by Cricket at this time will not work on Cricket in 12 to 18 months. Emphasis on the period. He said that Cricket will be offering very generous trade in values to their current Cricket customers. He said that right now, if someone wanted to trade in their S4 for an iPhone 5s (yeah I know, stupid example), they would get about $380 for trade in. So the loyalty trade in would be more than that. Also, flashed phones will not be able to be used. With CDMA gone, that makes sense. I don't know about unlocked GSM phones. He also said that Cricket branded 4g LTE phones will be able to use AT&T's LTE network sometime after the end of March. I'm guessing that it's a perk to keep us from jumping ship. I'm also guessing it will require us to get a new LTE simm card from Cricket. He also said that he is going to buy the Galaxy S5 as soon as it's available for himself. He's not worried about it costing too much to switch to an AT&T phone. So it's good and bad news. I'm thinking I'll keep my S4 and see what happens.
    The S 5 will be Cricket's first GSM phone. The vendor for Cricket has shut down to switch to GSM inventory for Cricket. Also, unless the s4 has some unknown hardware, it will be useless come March. Cricket uses a regional version of the phone, R970. This version specifically excludes GSM and international bands. This is the same version as the US Cellular GS4 which also does not have GSM or international bands. Cricket does not have the standard Verizon GS4 which includes the radios for local GSM and international GSM frequencies. So, I wouldn't take my chances right now. If you can return it, I would. Then wait a little while until the S5 debuts and you can simply activate on the GSM network and save yourself the headache and loss of money.

The iPukes have all bands included regardless of original carrier. They will be unlocked by a software update from Apple as soon as AT&T approves it. When that happens, you will need to go and get a SIM card and switch your account to AT&T's system.
    *Only PM me when asked. Please post to the forum first as you and the many members here will benefit from the conversation!"

Been fixing, flashing, and activating Cricket phones since 2004.

Customer Since
    Oct 2012
    Phone
    SCH-R970C

Well that's nice to hear about the s 5. Will we have a trade in offer for the s5? I just bought the s4 it's less the a month old.

Customer Since
    FEB 2013
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

Cricket web site already has the disclaimer about the phones not working after March 2015. Also here is some info on the terms in which the FCC approved the acquisition, I couldn't find the whole document.

FCC approves AT&T's purchase of Leap Wireless, says it's 'in the public interest' | The Verge

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information