Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: It's Sad That..

Overall activity: 0%

Monty, I have another question for you. If I'm getting download speeds of more than 1 Mbps most of the time that means there aren't a lot of people using a lot of data (like streaming) on the network correct? If so, the network is great around here. I usually get good speeds when I'm not throttled. There is another area that I get more like 600 kbps so I guess more people have Cricket there.

2. Remove this advertisement.

Most cricket markets use t1's, in busy sites multiples of them when demand needs it. I work in Baltimore/DC area and have seen datafill from other markets and talked with them. Cricket may go to ethernet backhaul shortly, but we have done nothing but trials, maybe when LTE comes that will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Most cricket markets use t1's, in busy sites multiples of them when demand needs it. I work in Baltimore/DC area and have seen datafill from other markets and talked with them. Cricket may go to ethernet backhaul shortly, but we have done nothing but trials, maybe when LTE comes that will happen.
    What do you think the data caps will be like on LTE? What do you think the throttling will be like?

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    What do you think the data caps will be like on LTE? What do you think the throttling will be like?
    No fricken clue lol. I work in operations man, while people want to consider that corporate I have no heads up until I get hardware shipped to my warehouse about launching stuff, then we have to scramble to get it into each tower, and even then I have no idea about caps. I just know about equipment from cell tower to switch, and from switch to core network, or outside networks. Most of the data network all gets backhauled to the west of the country to be honest.

But at the same time, I get hounded about costs, half my time lately is building TDM trunks to other carriers so we can cut off network traffic on new links directly to them instead of using tandem's.

The rest of my time is monitoring cell tower alarms and responding to them. For those who think a switch tech's life is grand, please think again... heh I have worked all shifts this week, most of which were not scheduled so I could not come in at normal time. Getting word at 4:30pm from the west coast you need to be back at work at 11:00pm that night, without warning is the worst.

No fricken clue lol. I work in operations man, while people want to consider that corporate I have no heads up until I get hardware shipped to my warehouse about launching stuff, then we have to scramble to get it into each tower, and even then I have no idea about caps. I just know about equipment from cell tower to switch, and from switch to core network, or outside networks. Most of the data network all gets backhauled to the west of the country to be honest.

But at the same time, I get hounded about costs, half my time lately is building TDM trunks to other carriers so we can cut off network traffic on new links directly to them instead of using tandem's.

The rest of my time is monitoring cell tower alarms and responding to them. For those who think a switch tech's life is grand, please think again... heh I have worked all shifts this week, most of which were not scheduled so I could not come in at normal time. Getting word at 4:30pm from the west coast you need to be back at work at 11:00pm that night, without warning is the worst.
    Do you know how many servers Cricket has, or is that something only corporate would know? I heard Virgin Mobile has only one server, which is located in KS. Is that why there are so many outages on Virgin Mobile?

What do you mean when you say building TDM trunks to other carriers?

You're amazing at this stuff.

You says servers, I assume you mean datacenters. I have a whole switch room full of equipment just to cover the DC market, and baltimore a close city has their own too, I was there when we built them both. Pittsburgh has their own too, so does cincinatti, the list goes on. Its not one "server" its actually staggering about the equipment needed for just one cell phone call, and half the time it takes it all just so we can route it out to another cell company that also has the same equipment for their own network. As sad as it sounds, it would take a huge wall with a whiteboard for me to map out the average call flow within my own building, since it has so many variables.

As for the TDM trunks, thats a telecom standard, just like landlines have links to a bunch of nearby other switches, so do we. But we pay for it. Thats how we can terminate a call from cricket to a sprint customer. It is so much more cost effective to have a few DS3's to different sprint switches than to route it all to tandem company's (tandem's are middle men who have links to all other companies and cost us per call). so we get direct links to them, assessing how many call's are needed and buy direct links to them, which costs us other backhaul, but save is since its cheaper than using tandems.

You says servers, I assume you mean datacenters. I have a whole switch room full of equipment just to cover the DC market, and baltimore a close city has their own too, I was there when we built them both. Pittsburgh has their own too, so does cincinatti, the list goes on. Its not one "server" its actually staggering about the equipment needed for just one cell phone call, and half the time it takes it all just so we can route it out to another cell company that also has the same equipment for their own network. As sad as it sounds, it would take a huge wall with a whiteboard for me to map out the average call flow within my own building, since it has so many variables.

As for the TDM trunks, thats a telecom standard, just like landlines have links to a bunch of nearby other switches, so do we. But we pay for it. Thats how we can terminate a call from cricket to a sprint customer. It is so much more cost effective to have a few DS3's to different sprint switches than to route it all to tandem company's (tandem's are middle men who have links to all other companies and cost us per call). so we get direct links to them, assessing how many call's are needed and buy direct links to them, which costs us other backhaul, but save is since its cheaper than using tandems.
    Well, I guess Virgin Mobile has just one "datacenter" then? Virgin Mobile runs on Sprint's network, and Sprint doesn't have as many outages as Virgin Mobile. It's weird.

Thanks for answering my questions. I'll sure I'll have more eventually.

I'm not throttled anymore!

This is great.

Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket

I'm not throttled anymore!

This is great.
    I should perform a curse to make it so you're always throttled.
    wait I don't have to do that you allways end up throttled real quick anyway

Swyped from my Cricket Droid os 2.3.4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by whitefiretiger View Post
    I should perform a curse to make it so you're always throttled.
    wait I don't have to do that you allways end up throttled real quick anyway

Yeah, I will most likely be throttled in a couple days.

Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket

Yeah, I will most likely be throttled in a couple days.
    Hahaha. I know the feeling

Phone
    EVO 4G

Maybe I read it wrong, but the Cricket data policy online looks like you have to be under 1GB for a rolling 30 days in order for the throttling to stop. It doesn't look like it automatically stops the throttle when your bill cycles. If this is the case, then I will never come off the throttling. I averaging 50-200MBs/day with or without throttling.

Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by ksechrest View Post
    Maybe I read it wrong, but the Cricket data policy online looks like you have to be under 1GB for a rolling 30 days in order for the throttling to stop. It doesn't look like it automatically stops the throttle when your bill cycles. If this is the case, then I will never come off the throttling. I averaging 50-200MBs/day with or without throttling.
    It will reset with new billing cycle

I started a data tracker on my phone 5 days ago and according to that ive used 1150mb. That means I'm averaging about 230 mb per day but that's not completely true because the day isn't over yet.

Phone
    EVO 4G

Lol. Nice. I was averaging that much myself before throttling kicked in. can you pm or email me your build.prop file? I still want to try it out. I get good speeds starting out on speedtest like 1000-1500 kbps, but immediately the throttle kicks me down under 100 kpbs. Lol, what am I supposed to do with that?
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by ksechrest View Post
    Lol. Nice. I was averaging that much myself before throttling kicked in. can you pm or email me your build.prop file? I still want to try it out. I get good speeds starting out on speedtest like 1000-1500 kbps, but immediately the throttle kicks me down under 100 kpbs. Lol, what am I supposed to do with that?
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Will do but need to get on my pc

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information