Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 1.0%

Phone
    HUAWEI Mercury

Looking to change to Cricket

I have been thinking of changing to Cricket Wireless. I have been in to there store looking at the new Mercury and it looks great and sounds like everyone loves it. I am currently on Virgin Mobile and have gone thru 2 phones in one month. I am using the LG Optimus Slider and it is very unresponsive about half the time. Due to the poor amount of RAM I can't even run firefox. Then tonight I found out that I can't send v-card info. The question here is for LG. Why would you build a phone running gingerbread that only has 420mb of ram? I think for $5 more they could have went to 512mb and had a better experience and maybe gain a few people to buy there devices in the future.

Now to my question for the Cricket users. How is there service? Data? Connectivity problems? Rate them on a number from 1-10 against the big boy cell carriers. I know 4g isnt out yet for them but comming sometime. I have been with tmobile and they had great service but paying $170/mo was just to much for two phones. There price is great and with there jump to android it looks like they are wanting to compete.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Mercury M886

I was very skeptical about Cricket until I was forced to buy/use an A600 Broadband Dongle over a year ago (very impressed with that) Score9

Recently went with a Zio(6 months ago) happy with sevice Score9...disappointed in phone

Just bought a Mercury 3 weeks ago and have not had any issues Score 9 (no one is a perfect 10!!)

Service=9

Data=9

connectivity=9

Dropped Calls; I've had Zero in the time I've been with Cricket!

All that said you need to be aware of your location not all areas are as well covered as mine (Utah might be borderline or worse)

BTW I was with TMobile before and YES they got spendy!!!

I've really enjoyed my Cricket service. In my area, it has been great. The coverage is great, call quality is good, Internet speeds are fine, etc. I'm currently using the first Huawei Ascend.

If you're looking for a phone with a keyboard the Samsung Indulge is the most powerful, but personally I would probably go with the Samsung Transfix. If you don't need a keyboard, definitely take a look at the Huawei Mercury. I've heard a lot of good things about that device.

If you're interested in making some modifications to your LG Optimus Slider, it might perform better. I just read a good review on that device. Take a look at this thread:
    just got the the Optimus Slider...impressions

Phone
    HUAWEI Mercury

Thank You for your comments. It would be nice to root this phone and see if it would learn a new trick or two. I just think a phone should work where ever you are. This LG phone has been a bad experience. The slide out keyboard is just a decoration to me. VM doesn't have a good selection of phones. Cricket at least looks like they are trying to improve. It would be nice to see some high end phones like the HTC EVO 4g factor stock sold at cricket(not to go against rooters, but I am a little afraid of buying a rooted phone and seeing that it won't work and you get to eat the $400 bill.) I do think in time after they get there 4g up they well have more good devices. I do however love the people who roots the phones. You have should the phone companies we want our phones to work and be unique with what they can do. The developers have made some great apps for our enjoyment. Everyone says how good there iphone is, but I think droids blow iphone out of the water. My former boss had the iphone4 and it would not give him directions except in writing. However when I put the info in on the droid he was shocked that it spoked the directions just like a gps would. My thinking is the iphone is just a big paper wieght to look pretty on a desk. So to the android hackers, rooters, devlopers, and etc.. Thank you for making our life easier. Now if they would stop making disposable phones(LG Optimus Slider,(your junk phone name here)) the people would be happier and the agents would that sold us the phone would not have angry customers in there stores yelling and scaring other people to walk out of the store.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

yea, definatly check coverage for your area. ask around your friends and family to see who has cricket and which phones they are using. where they don't get coverage etc. i would recommend the samsung vitality if you don't want the mercury or a keyboard. it's got gorilla glass and aprox 6 hours talk time. get the zte score if you want another disposable phone

also forgot to mention cricket has 1GB/month 'soft cap' or 'fair usage policy' on all smart-phone plans. you will be slowed down to 1x speeds if you exceed 1GB/month on 3g data. speeds are about 80-140kbps after you exceed your 'usage'. 4g and 4g phones will roll out to a big part of cricket's market by the end of 2012 (at least that's what i guess)
    Last edited by indica; 01-15-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Phone
    HUAWEI Mercury

How much ram does the samsung vitality have? Can't find that answer anywhere. Love the gorilla glass.

I also think the Samsung Vitality would be a good choice if you're not looking for a phone with the power of the Mercury.

I would wait for another sale. The Vitality was just $99.99 not too long ago. I think it is $149.99 right now. So, watch the sales, and you should be able to get a good deal.

I'm not sure about the RAM on the phone. I just checked PhoneScoop's site and didn't find anything on that.

The performance on the phone has been fine in my experience, but the phone didn't have a lot of applications on it.

Thread Information