Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy My First Week With Cricket

So far I have been extremely frustrated with Cricket in getting a phone activated and fully functional. Unfortunately I do not live near a Cricket store - the closest ones are several hours away - and I am forced to deal with the telephone customer service agents.

Last Tuesday I called the Cricket 800 number and attempted to activate a Cricket branded tri-band phone (Samsung MyShot R430 with a clean ESN) that I had purchased on eBay. The phone rep said he couldn't locate the phone in his database, and he even checked with his supervisor to see what could be done. Eventually they decided that they could not activate the R430, but that I could purchase a new Samsung Chrono for only $29. As it has always been my intention to eventually flash my Sprint Evo for use on Cricket, I agreed, figuring I would just sell the other phones on eBay when I no longer needed them. So I bought the $29 phone, along with the first month's service.

Thursday I received the phone and immediately attempted to activate it online, but the online activation required me to purchase a calling plan, which I already had done when I bought the phone. So I called Cricket customer service to activate the phone. After giving the agent the necessary info, I was informed that my account had been locked (!) and it would be 24 hours before the phone could be activated. What? I had a phone and service plan that were paid for but unusable until the next day? Absolutely unbelieveable! I asked to speak to a supervisor. Same story. They were very apologetic but couldn't do anything about it. I agreed to wait until the next day, and the phone was activated early the next morning.

It's now Friday and time to call customer service (once again) to have my Sprint mobile number ported over to the Cricket phone. I called their special porting telephone number and gave the agent all the necessary information. The agent told me to call back in a couple of hours to check on the status of the request, so I waited four hours and called back. The agent said the port was in progress and should be completed shortly. I called back later that the evening to once again check on the port status and was eventually connected with Cricket's technical service department, who said they would "escalate" the problem??? After finishing up with them, just for fun I called my Sprint mobile number and the Cricket phone rang. I called my home phone with the Cricket phone and the caller ID reported the correct number! Looks like we're finally on the right track. Then I attempted to send a text to the Cricket phone. Nope, didn't work. I tried to send a text out from the Cricket phone. Again, nothing.

Saturday. I call customer service AGAIN to let them know that, although I can make and receive calls, texting does not appear to be working. Well, only the technical service department can deal with texting issues, but they won't be back until MONDAY! I ask to speak to a supervisor and tell him that I have been patiently waiting since Thursday to have a fully-functional phone, but he says that the tech department has to deal with it, as I am - apparantly - not the only one having this problem. He is sympathetic to my situation and offers one free month of service for my trouble. The supervisor guarantees that everything will be working on Monday by 6 PM. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Sorry about the vent, but my experience so far with Cricket has been very different then the great experience I had with Virgin Mobile last week. I purchased a phone at Best Buy, activated and ported my wife's mobile number online, and everything was done in two hours, working perfectly without ever talking to a customer service agent. I guess I was just lucky there.

KC

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|
    Overall activity: 0%

I know how you feel, took forever for mine as well. If your still having sms issues i would suggest trying a *228 . It will automatically reprogram your phone with the correct settings. Porting a number does take some time.

Sorry to hear about your experience with Cricket so far. After you get the porting done, you should be fine. The service is great, but the customer service isn't too good. Please come back and let us know how it goes on Monday.

Just to make sure, you're not putting a "1" in front of the number that you are trying to send a text message to, right?

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Where do you live? If the nearest store is several hours away, I'd guess youre not in an Cricket home area.
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Quote Originally Posted by oriax123 View Post
    If your still having sms issues i would suggest trying a *228 . It will automatically reprogram your phone with the correct settings. Porting a number does take some time.
    I've done *228 several times but no success with the SMS issue. And I did not put a 1 on the front of the number I'm trying to text (thanks avenue).

One thing that I did notice was that although the porting of my Sprint mobile number to my new Cricket phone is supposedly complete, the original Cricket phone number is still showing up on the phone (Menu, Settings, Phone Info, Phone Number). I tried to manually change the number on the phone to the newly ported number using ##626*, but the next time I did a *228 it changed back to the Cricket number. Very weird, especially since the ported number works on both inbound and outbound calls.

I'll wait until all these issues are ironed out, then do an ESN swap and see if I can get the Evo 4G going on Cricket. Should be fun!

KC

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Where do you live? If the nearest store is several hours away, I'd guess youre not in an Cricket home area.
    You are correct woof, I live in Waterloo, Iowa. The only plans available to me on Cricket were the PayGo $25 / 300 minute plan and the PayGo $35 / 1000 minute plan, so the lack of unlimited plans antomatically put me outside of a Cricket home area. But all I need is talk & text, and I rarely ever went over 200 minutes per month, even when I was on Sprint's unlimited plan. Now my wife's mobile phone usage is another matter entirely, which is why she is on Virgin Mobile with 1500 minutes for $30. But there was little chance of me ever getting my Evo on Virgin Mobile, so that's why I chose Cricket.

Combined we're still paying less than half of what Sprint was charging, so we're happy with that.

KC
    Last edited by zoofer; 11-05-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoofer View Post
    I've done *228 several times but no success with the SMS issue. And I did not put a 1 on the front of the number I'm trying to text (thanks avenue).

One thing that I did notice was that although the porting of my Sprint mobile number to my new Cricket phone is supposedly complete, the original Cricket phone number is still showing up on the phone (Menu, Settings, Phone Info, Phone Number). I tried to manually change the number on the phone to the newly ported number using ##626*, but the next time I did a *228 it changed back to the Cricket number. Very weird, especially since the ported number works on both inbound and outbound calls.

I'll wait until all these issues are ironed out, then do an ESN swap and see if I can get the Evo 4G going on Cricket. Should be fun!

KC

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

You are correct woof, I live in Waterloo, Iowa. The only plans available to me on Cricket were the PayGo $25 / 300 minute plan and the PayGo $35 / 1000 minute plan, so the lack of unlimited plans antomatically put me outside of a Cricket home area. But all I need is talk & text, and I rarely ever went over 200 minutes per month, even when I was on Sprint's unlimited plan. Now my wife's mobile phone usage is another matter entirely, which is why she is on Virgin Mobile with 1500 minutes for $30. But there was little chance of me ever getting my Evo on Virgin Mobile, so that's why I chose Cricket.

Combined we're still paying less than half of what Sprint was charging, so we're happy with that.

KC
    If you're in one of the nationwide markets you shouldn't be using a flashed phone. You would need to use a Cricket phone that is available, such as the Samsung Transfix, ZTE Score, Huawei Pillar, or Samsung Chrono.

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

KC
    Ya, you'll likely never get your evo on Cricket where youre living either. The paygo version of Cricket in your area (in any non cricket market area) doesnt like flashed phones.
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Ya, you'll likely never get your evo on Cricket where youre living either. The paygo version of Cricket in your area (in any non cricket market area) doesnt like flashed phones.
    That's not good news Why would Cricket even care what kind of CDMA phone I use? I am only interested in talk + text and have no plans on using any more data than I'm already authorized with my Samsung Chrono. Is there a technical issue about this particular CDMA phone (Evo) that doesn't apply to the four CDMA phones that are authorized for my market?

Just curious.

KC
    Last edited by zoofer; 11-05-2011 at 02:55 PM.

That's not good news. Why would Cricket even care what kind of CDMA phone I use? I am only interested in talk + text and have no plans on using any more data than I'm already authorized with my Samsung Chrono. Is there a technical issue about this particular CDMA phone (Evo) that doesn't apply to the four CDMA phones that are authorized for my market?

Just curious?

KC
    It's not really a technical issue, it's just that Cricket in your area is using Sprint's network, and I'm sure neither Sprint nor Cricket would want you to use an HTC Evo on their network in that area. If it was using Cricket's own towers, that's one thing, but since it's using Sprint's that's why it's not supposed to be used. Also, the $25 and $35 plans aren't for an Android phone, they're for a feature phone. It's not really "fair" to use those plans with an Android phone, if you understand what I mean. Also, Cricket (or Sprint) might catch on and terminate your account.

So, yes, it is probably possible, technically speaking, but it's definitely not recommended.

We try to make this forum as informative as possible, and we want others like you to be informed before making a purchase. I will see if I can get something together to clear this up. I do have a thread here, but it seems that people aren't seeing it: http://www.cricketusers.com/general-...+phone+worries

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    We try to make this forum as informative as possible, and we want others like you to be informed before making a purchase.
    Are you kidding? Thanks to you and other forum users, I've obtained a huge amount of info from this forum! And I did read your FAQ about where flashed phones could be used. But Cricket was the only carrier available in my area that gave me even the slightest chance of possibly using my Evo. So I did do my homework here (and elsewhere) and made my decision! But if it doesn't work, what am I out? I'm not locked into a two-year contract and can come and go as I please. The reason we dropped Sprint was because the $140 monthly bill for our two smartphones had become quite a burden on the family, so the bottom line is we're now only paying $55 and I can still use the Evo on Skype if I can't get it working on Cricket.

Thanks! And I haven't given up quite yet either

KC
    Last edited by zoofer; 11-05-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Are you kidding? Thanks to you and other forum users, I've obtained a huge amount of info from this forum! And I did read your FAQ about where flashed phones could be used. But Cricket was the only carrier available in my area that gave me even the slightest chance of possibly using my Evo. So I did do my homework here (and elsewhere) and made my decision! But if it doesn't work, what am I out? I'm not locked into a two-year contract and can come and go as I please. The reason we dropped Sprint was because the $140 monthly bill for our two smartphones had become quite a burden on the family, so the bottom line is we're now only paying $55 and I can still use the Evo on Skype if I can't get it working on Cricket.

Thanks! And I haven't given up quite yet either

KC
    I'm glad you were able to find the information you needed!

I was under the impression that it was too difficult to find, so I was going to try to rearrange some things. But, since you've found everything, I better leave it alone.

Thank you for the feedback.

Well, it's Monday and time for a quick update. I discovered over the weekend that - in addition to broken SMS - my voicemail is not working either. I called Cricket's porting service number and gave this info to the agent. She said the voicemail issue was likely related to the SMS issue which was likely related to the phone number on the Samsung Chrono still being associated with the original Cricket phone number and not the ported Sprint number.

Which makes sense, since I'm unable to sign up for an account at mycricket.com because the website doesn't recognize the newly ported Sprint phone number as a valid number! But when I enter the original Cricket number to have a temporary password sent to me it says a temporary password has been texted to my phone - but of course I never receive it!

It seems to me that a knowledgeable Cricket tech could fix these issues with a few computer keystrokes and a *228. According to the Cricket phone agent, my issues should be resolved "this day". I'm not optimistic, but I'm willing to let them try. Fingers are crossed.

Update to follow.

KC

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Well, it's Monday and time for a quick update. I discovered over the weekend that - in addition to broken SMS - my voicemail is not working either. I called Cricket's porting service number and gave this info to the agent. She said the voicemail issue was likely related to the SMS issue which was likely related to the phone number on the Samsung Chrono still being associated with the original Cricket phone number and not the ported Sprint number.

Which makes sense, since I'm unable to sign up for an account at mycricket.com because the website doesn't recognize the newly ported Sprint phone number as a valid number! But when I enter the original Cricket number to have a temporary password sent to me it says a temporary password has been texted to my phone - but of course I never receive it!

It seems to me that a knowledgeable Cricket tech could fix these issues with a few computer keystrokes and a *228. According to the Cricket phone agent, my issues should be resolved "this day". I'm not optimistic, but I'm willing to let them try. Fingers are crossed.

Update to follow.

KC
    Zoofer, if you pm me your phone numbers, the cricket one and the one your porting in, and your auth id for the acct, I'll look at the account and see if there is anything I can do.

PM sent. Thanks woof.

KC

Tuesday. I guess technically this begins my second week on Cricket and still my issues haven't been resolved, despite the kind assistance of cricketusers.com forum moderator Woof. Here is where I am at the start of Week 2:
    • Phone number ported from Sprint works
    • SMS messaging doesn't work
    • Voice mail doesn't work
    • Phone number ported from Sprint not recognized as valid at myCricket website
    • Phone number displayed on Cricket phone is the original number issued by Cricket, not the ported Sprint number
    Of course I've done a *228 every couple of hours. I'm getting tired of that music!

My patience with Cricket support is wearing thin. I was assured by a 2nd level supervisor on Saturday that my issues would absolutely, positively be resolved no later than 6 PM on Monday. I have repeatedly been assured by the phone agent that my issues had been elevated to tech support when - in fact - there was no record of such elevation when Woof did some investigating on my behalf.

I continue to hope that these issues will be resolved soon, but it's difficult to be patient when it appears that I've been lied to by the voice on the other end of the phone. I greatly appreciate the help I've been offered on this forum and maybe - just maybe - today is the day???

KC

Update #1: At 8:45 AM I am once again on the phone with Cricket support. Boy do I hate that music they play while I'm on hold...

Update #2: Supervisor says because Cricket is updating their software they cannot tell me when my issues will be fixed. Got her to promise that one of her managers (Chris or Richard) will call me at 1 PM to discuss this mess. I highly doubt that I will hear from either of them. We will see...
    Last edited by zoofer; 11-08-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information