Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Phone Whore(;
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Apple iPhone 5

Now Illegal To Unlock New Cell Phones Without Permission

Name:  unlock_cell_phone.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  71.6 KB

If you would like to sign the petition to keep phone flashing/unlocking legal, please click
    HERE

SOURCE:
    blogs.ajc.com

Starting today, it’s illegal to unlock your new subsidized mobile phone without your carrier’s permission.

The new rules, which don’t affect consumers who acquired phones before Saturday, come from the U.S. Copyright Office of the Library of Congress. Previously, you could unlock your subsidized device under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. You could then sell the phone or use another carrier’s SIM card to start new service in another wireless network. The change is an update to the DMCA.

Carriers such as AT&T, Verizon Wireless and Sprint didn’t particularly like the fact that their subscribers could essentially jump ship after getting deeply discounted devices in exchange for monthly service commitments. According to Wired.com, however, carriers rarely went after individuals who unlocked their phones. Instead, they targeted businesses “that bought throw-away phones by the thousands, unlocked them, and shipped them overseas.”

“The carriers’ position has always been, it’s never been about individual consumers,” James Baldinger, an attorney for several providers told Wired.com. “They are concerned about traffickers that steal subsidies and in the end increase the cost of wireless for consumers across the United States.”

Many carriers now provide unlocked phones, and the U.S. Copyright Office says consumers have a wide range of options in obtaining such devices.

While carriers haven’t gone after individuals, they still could become targets of civil suits or criminal fines. Under the new mandate, individuals could face fines of up to $2,500, and cellphone resellers could be fined as much as $500,000 and face prison, Brad Shear, a Washington D.C. expert in social media and technology law, told ABC News.

*Please PM me ONLY if you have posted in the forum, and I have not replied. Thank you.*

Wanna know how I became a SuperMod?? I got engaged to the creator of the site. (;

Find devices to flash to Cricket here (refine the search to find the phone model you desire).
    Feel free to donate so we can get more devices to write tutorials on!
    GreenK45 - Automatic proxy setup (u2nl/autostart) for Android flashed phone users on the $45 plan. Now available on the Android Market!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Ok, what does this mean in real life? .....I see it this way, in my opinion.

1. They probably are not ever going to target or sue an individual. They learned that was a waste of time when they tried to sue people for downloading music. If your phone maker is on the same carrier for that phone and you unlock it, i doubt anyone will ever check to see or care if its unlocked. Keep in mind, they just dont want phones unlocked and put on other carriers for various reasons.
    2. All phones built prior to jan 28th can be sold, unlocked and put on another carrier after Jan28th, 2013. Phones built after Janurary 28, 2013 cannot. Why? Because it says "phones acquired before jan 28th, 2013" in the rulling, if i remember it right. It doesnt mean that cricket or any other carrier will give a rats ass about the acquired/build date. They may just start denying activation of phones not made for each carrier (no matter what build date it is) because its eaiser than worrying about build dates and tracking "approved unlocked phones". We will see.
    3. They will target large groups like Cricket if they are activating phones (with a build date after jan 28th 2013). Or they will target a buisness operation unlocking/selling large amount of phones.
    4. EBAY will probably deny lisiting phones as unlocked since they have no control over people lying about a phones real status. They dont want the DMCA going after them and get caught up in lawsuits like megaupload was.
    5. Thanks to the Homeland Security Act, it is legal for the airport to seize and search your computer at check in. And they can demand you unencrypt it too before they give it back. They can prosecute you over illegal stuff on your hard drive. So, your phones can be seized too and its unlocking status can lead to prosecution. Will they do it? 99.99% not likely unless you have real terroist like actions causing you to be arrested.
    6. I wonder how many carriers will unlock phones for you and how many will not. And how will anyone be able to check the "approved unlock status" of a million phones in america for years. Perhaps just as they track bad esn phones, i guess.

and for those who buy a phone from AT & T locked but I want to unlock. to take him to use prepaid. in another country means that I will never use here in U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldman View Post
    Ok, what does this mean in real life? .....I see it this way, in my opinion.

4. EBAY will probably deny lisiting phones as unlocked since they have no control over people lying about a phones real status. They dont want the DMCA going after them and get caught up in lawsuits like megaupload was.
    eBay won't care. They've had some stiff pressure from the Big Box companies to make them stop allowing stolen items to be sold on eBay. eBay just responded with a screw you and fee increase in certain categories where there is a high volume of stolen items being trafficked. Basically they're just a protection racket for stolen goods. Every now and then they play good guy but that's only because they're in the mainstream web not underground. eBay only cares when you mess with their monetary income. DCMA can knock on their door all they want but the door will never open.

Customer Since
    Nov 2011

The updated information is.....It is now legal to get our phones unlocked from third party unlocking services in U.S.Recently, I unlocked my mobile .I had to travel outside my country and I had to unlock it very quickly.My network provider prolonged the unlock process...and luckily the amendment of unlocking phone made legal saved my time.I used the service from
    unBBlock.com

and removed the network lock on my Blackberry very easily.They unlocked my phone within few hours....

Customer Since
    Nov 2011

The updated information is.....It is now legal to get our phones unlocked from third party unlocking services in U.S.Recently, I unlocked my mobile .I had to travel outside my country and I had to unlock it very quickly.My network provider prolonged the unlock process...and luckily the amendment of unlocking phone made legal saved my time.I used the service from
    unBBlock.com

and removed the network lock on my Blackberry very easily.They unlocked my phone within few hours....

Thread Information