Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Question Post-Cricket Nationwide - Smartphone Roaming in AWS markets

Hi All,

I was gifted a Droid X, and have been wanting to get it on Cricket (the gifter was using it on Verizon). I have been reading and trying to learn the steps required, but just realized that Baltimore is apparently an "AWS market"

In trying to figure this out, I found some bad-looking news, in the form of the following replies to other threads (not trying to call people out, just showing some very knowledge people advise against it):
    > posted by smod Chrisngrod on 3/10: "Most CDMA phones from Sprint and Verizon are dual band because that's their primary network type (CDMA 800/900). Cricket also uses AWS in select markets (1700/2100) transmit. To see if you're in a triband area, go to (link) and enter your information. If there are horizontal lines, you will need a Cricket phone to operate in that area."
    > posted by mod Woof on 8/20: "Baltimore is an aws market. You'll be using sprint the entire time which will look to cricket like you are always roaming. After a couple of months they will terminate your service. Ill advised path you are on."
    > posted by smod Avenue on 8/20: "There have been people that have successful used a flashed phone in an AWS market, but like Monty said, I wouldn't recommend it. Also, keep in mind Cricket can terminate your service. You're not supposed to be roaming that much."

Does this all change now that Cricket has gone nation-wide? Won't everyone not in an area with Cricket-operated towers also be roaming all the time, just like folks in AWS markets? Should I be able to safely proceed without pissing Cricket off with constantly roaming?

Hope the above makes sense - just trying to learn how this all works. Hoping this will all work out now!

Thank you kindly for any insight!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

I'm not sure if Cricket is going to allow phones in the new nationwide areas. I don't think Sprint would want them to do that. That's why there is only one phone available currently. I read a post from someone that was on the phone with Cricket corporate and they said Cricket said it might start out with just one Android phone, such as the first Huawei Ascend, to start. I'm thinking Sprint doesn't want to lose customers (especially off of Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile) for those who want to use any phone they want.

I'm really not sure what is going on. The nationwide service just came out recently so we will need to keep up and see what happens.

I'm looking forward to the replies to this thread.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

You just have to weigh in the factors. Avenue is against using flashed phones in tri band areas because you roam on Sprint's network when you should be on Cricket’s.

There were probably less people flashing phones in tri band areas until it became known that combining PRLs could get them working without too much hassle. I think I coined the phrase hybrid PRL lol.

Since I travel while in the military, I always use a hybrid PRL. Can't lose service while driving through Waco or when I'm stuck at an airport in Chicago.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

By weigh the factors, do you mean weigh the cost/benefit of going through the trouble of getting the phone on cricket VS the risk of them shutting you down?

My hopefully accurate guess: the fact they made an agreement with Sprint so customers could roam on the Sprint network (and others), and are now advertising cricket service as nation-wide (which will *require* folks in many areas to roam constantly) leads me to believe they are becoming more relaxed about heavy roaming.

I guess I'm looking to see if there is a policy or guidelines from cricket that I would need to follow in regards to always (or at least heavy) roaming. Because them going "nation-wide" seems to be counter to them shutting folks down who live in areas they would need to always/mostly roam on non-cricket networks.

I'm not looking to abuse any system here, just trying to figure out if this is something I should do (flash a verizon phone for a cricket AWS market) or not.

*shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by rokuk View Post
    By weigh the factors, do you mean weigh the cost/benefit of going through the trouble of getting the phone on cricket VS the risk of them shutting you down?

My hopefully accurate guess: the fact they made an agreement with Sprint so customers could roam on the Sprint network (and others), and are now advertising cricket service as nation-wide (which will *require* folks in many areas to roam constantly) leads me to believe they are becoming more relaxed about heavy roaming.

I guess I'm looking to see if there is a policy or guidelines from cricket that I would need to follow in regards to always (or at least heavy) roaming. Because them going "nation-wide" seems to be counter to them shutting folks down who live in areas they would need to always/mostly roam on non-cricket networks.

I'm not looking to abuse any system here, just trying to figure out if this is something I should do (flash a verizon phone for a cricket AWS market) or not.

*shrug*
    I'm not saying you're going to get in trouble, but I'm pretty sure Sprint isn't going to want people using flashed phones on their network because it might take away from Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile. Since you're in an AWS market, you're really supposed to be using Cricket's network, not Sprint's.

For the nationwide areas, I wouldn't be surprised if Cricket doesn't allow non-Cricket phone ESN's.

Thread Information