Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    It's life, live it!
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Galaxy S4

Rooting/Locking/jailbreaking law

Anyone have ideas on what this could mean to the flashing industry as a whole? I think the government is trying to shut down an entire software industry.... Yes, there are people who do this professionally and therefore will be bound by uneeded regulation!

Library of Congress Updates Jailbreaking and Unlocking Rules (Phone Scoop)

*Only PM me when asked. Please post to the forum first as you and the many members here will benefit from the conversation!"

Been fixing, flashing, and activating Cricket phones since 2004.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    Samsung Indulge

I guess I missed the part of social studies where the Library of Congress has the ability to make or change laws. Seems like the Legislature or the Justice Department would be the agency doing something like this.
    Last edited by ArkieKDealer; 10-26-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Read the DMCA some time. The government puts out all kinds of laws so that everything you do is illigal. That way if they decide to take you out, they can claim they had a reason. More and more these laws are written on behalf of the corparations and individuals who have bought our government. We should not be supprised to find these laws are designed to let the ritch stay free of fear from competition from the smart and motivated. Government = $$$ and phones = $$$.

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Skimmed thru it, some ramblings, ....so, for example, on Jan 28, 2013 it will be illegal to unlock a Verizon/Sprint phone (unless Verizon/Sprint is nice enough to unlock it for you) made after Jan 28, 2013 to put on a different network like Cricket.

Several thoughts:
    1. How will a carrier know if a phone is pre Jan 28, 2013? Are they going to start looking at that when people sign up for service or are they going to ignore it?
    2. Is the phone build date encoded in the signal sent over the air?
    3. How will a carrier know if its unlocked after being activated? Is it broadcast with the signal? Sure, OTA updates can relock a phone but that can be turned off.
    4. Unless i'm reading it wrong, it did not seem to say it was illegal for a carrier to allow any unlocked phone on their system. It said it was illegal to unlock it without the makers permission after Jan 28, 2013.
    5. Prediction 1 , ....no one will be able to enforce this on an individual basis such a RIAA learned when they sued individuals. It can only be enforced by OTA means or at activation/sign up. So the build date/lock status must be broadcast in order to shut it down. Unless they try OTA update often as a means of prevention.
    6. Prediction 2, .....as a marketing strategy, future phones from outside America, such as China, India, etc of various brandings will be granted worldwide permission to "unlock" the phone. So we will see more China/European HTC's etc... being allowed to connect to US carriers. I dont know how a US carrier is going to know if a phone from china has permission or not to unlock.
    7. Everyone should be aware, airports can search your PC for illegal software, etc... Now the question becomes how often or how much much effort will they look for "illegally unlocked" phones.

Maybe its too early in the morning and im reading it wrong.

Overall activity: 2.0%

I bet apple is behind this, look at all the small MVNO that this will hurt.

Overall activity: 92.0%
    Phone
    Mercury M886

So only phones made after January 28th? Which means people could still flash GS3s, Razrs etc.?

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Customer Since
    1000 B.C.
    Phone
    Kyocera K132

^ yes in the short term we still have a handle on things, but a time will come when these phones are obsolete and the law impacts the people and the business. For, example look at when NAFTA was created and put into play and how things are now quite a gap in time, but the change has happened and its all bad.

Overall activity: 92.0%
    Phone
    Mercury M886

Yea your right. I hope this law doesn't pass man..

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Gold Member

I sense that this may be one reason why smaller carriers are offering more mainstream desirable phones to keep their business alive in the future.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

this is why i wear my tinfoil hat. .

Gold Member

Makes me wonder why the car industry hasnt adopted this draconian model. Imagine only being able to change the battery, tires and oil on a car but nothing else. ....oooppppps on second thought, looks like that has been their evil plan since the seventies. Back then any shade tree mechanic could change anything on a car but nowadays its so complicated, electronic and proprietary that you have to take it to a pro(or dealer).

Verified Developer
    Customer Since
    Never
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G LTE

I don't think it will pass since it is our right as software "hackers" to be able to flash / root / exploit to any device which the creator did not protect. Everything can be hacked, NO exceptions. This would be a definite IP Law exception which they can not manipulate to their advantage.

Gold Member

Its hilarious how they pass a few laws or rules, then pat themselves on the back, thinking they have solved their "problem". But what they are really doing over time is building the laws they need to up their legal game in the future. Over time, there will be lawsuits that will redefine the rules. No one has time to check phones for compliance so they can only enforce at activation or by signal, imo. Personally, i feel when the phone is no longer in production that all rights to it are lost by makers/carriers. And if they want to keep it locked "forever" then they damn well better buy the phone back when im done with their contract. With their restrictions, no one is really "buying" a phone, you are really renting it.

Time will tell how effective they are in controlling the cell industry. I hope they wake up and realize its devolving back into "MA BELL".
    Last edited by wiseoldman; 10-28-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Customer Since
    Sept 2012
    Phone
    Mercury ICS

Hey guys, couple questions. I haven't read this law yet (probobly get a headach), but who the hell has the right to tell us went can't switch carriers and root phones we buy?!? And how do we stop this?

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike81 View Post
    Hey guys, couple questions. I haven't read this law yet (probobly get a headach), but who the hell has the right to tell us went can't switch carriers and root phones we buy?!? And how do we stop this?
    Technically they do have the right. Its wrong but that's life its not fair.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information