Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

Tips for best price on Ascend II upgrade?

Hi guys, great site.

I have the first Ascend and like the idea of upgrading to the II. With a deal of 129.00 seems to be doable.

But upon looking into it, that price is just for new customers. Moreover, when I try to upgrade via my online account, it tells me to visit a store. So at the store I am looking at 149, plus tax, plus 15 to change my phone, bringing the total closer to 200, which isn't worth it to me.

Anyone have any suggestions? When I upgraded to my first Ascend it seemed to be no problem to buy online and I got it for the standard low price. Now, not so much.

Thanks!
    Last edited by nightfly; 08-04-2011 at 09:59 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Welcome to the forum.

I didn't know that it was 149.99 for existing users. Just went on my account and checked myself.

I'd watch eBay and Craigslist.

PS The forum always changes out phones for free for supporting members. 1 year @ 12.99 is worth it even for just one change.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Thanks man. Looks like you're just up the road from me (I'm in Austin).

Looks like the Leap had a rough quarter. Maybe I'll wait to see if any deals come up. Just stinks that most of them are reserved for new customers.

Phone
    LG Optimus C

I think its a scam you can't get the phone for the $129 price. for new costumers it should be more money. I hate that. Always happens to me. And I agree, check eBay and other listings.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
    I think its a scam you can't get the phone for the $129 price. for new costumers it should be more money. I hate that. Always happens to me. And I agree, check eBay and other listings.
    Right? You'd think they'd reward current customers and keep up retention. Instead, I'm looking at virgin mobile now.

Used is an option, but I doubt the price would be right since the phone is so new.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I just go with flashed phones. If I have to pay for a phone anyways, it might as well be a premium device. Even for 129-149 you could get a Droid and maybe even Droid 2. I consider both of these to be better devices, but the Ascend 2 is still a cheap Android device. They're not charging that much for a no contract phone if you think about it.

Maybe they're just becoming desperate to stop the dam.

I'm actually in Austin now. I should go check out this Cricket store next to me. See if they need any of my services or would like to build a working relationship. Always looking for some way to better the forum.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    LG Optimus C

Quote Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
    Right? You'd think they'd reward current customers and keep up retention. Instead, I'm looking at virgin mobile now.

Used is an option, but I doubt the price would be right since the phone is so new.
    Funny you say that, because I'm dumping Cricket and going with Virgin Mobile. I Just ordered a new LG Optimus V on QVC shopping channel. I got tired of bull dished my way from Cricket and dumping them this week.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

We are going to try and start a Virgin Mobile forum, but we're going to need support. If anyone wants to head over there, the address is virginusers.com <-- lol I know right?

I just ran into the same thing

I'd decided to just go for the Ascend 2. Then discovered that the price didn't apply to me. I understand one side of the business reasoning (get more customers).

I decide my time for this month is running out, so I better pay my bill and explore options for a month. I find that since I'm late paying my bill, they want me to pay for 2 months. WTF? It's a monthly deal.

While signed in, I looked at my bill details. I find the insurance is back on there, which I'd canceled in the store last year. Other details had changed since I'd signed up, too. I don't ordinarily look at the details of what I'm being billed -- I just pay the bill. I'd wondered why the fees seemed to change but figured it was just due to the changes in taxes and "miscellaneous fees".

A couple of months ago, a friend said he uses Virgin because they're cheap and it just works. No surprises or anything. He doesn't use the web (he has trouble using a computer on the web), so I ignored his comment. But after reading the above postings, I see they have a great deal.

So here I am again, scratching my head and comparing phones. Is it just as easy to flash a phone to Virgin as it is to Cricket or are there complications anyone knows of?

Also, getting back to the thread and the OP, to get the new customer price, can you just terminate your Cricket account for a month and then sign up as a new customer?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDude View Post
    I'd decided to just go for the Ascend 2. Then discovered that the price didn't apply to me. I understand one side of the business reasoning (get more customers).

I decide my time for this month is running out, so I better pay my bill and explore options for a month. I find that since I'm late paying my bill, they want me to pay for 2 months. WTF? It's a monthly deal.

While signed in, I looked at my bill details. I find the insurance is back on there, which I'd canceled in the store last year. Other details had changed since I'd signed up, too. I don't ordinarily look at the details of what I'm being billed -- I just pay the bill. I'd wondered why the fees seemed to change but figured it was just due to the changes in taxes and "miscellaneous fees".

A couple of months ago, a friend said he uses Virgin because they're cheap and it just works. No surprises or anything. He doesn't use the web (he has trouble using a computer on the web), so I ignored his comment. But after reading the above postings, I see they have a great deal.

So here I am again, scratching my head and comparing phones. Is it just as easy to flash a phone to Virgin as it is to Cricket or are there complications anyone knows of?

Also, getting back to the thread and the OP, to get the new customer price, can you just terminate your Cricket account for a month and then sign up as a new customer?
    You can't flash a phone to Virgin Mobile, you need to use one of their devices. Make sure you check out
    Virgin Mobile Users Forum - News, Phone Reviews, and Discussion

as mentioned above.

No responses on the quitting and rejoining to get the lower price. So I checked out VM further. Interesting.

The Cricket Ascend 2 will cost me at least $129. The VM Motorola Triumph will cost me $299. Cost difference of $170.

The Cricket Android plan is $55 a month. The VM low-talking rate (me) is $35 a month.

I'll make up the cost difference in 9 months, if I'm thinking right. Let me know if I'm missing something. Here's the spreadsheet:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cost compare Triumph Ascend2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	630

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
    Hi guys, great site.

I have the first Ascend and like the idea of upgrading to the II. With a deal of 129.00 seems to be doable.

But upon looking into it, that price is just for new customers. Moreover, when I try to upgrade via my online account, it tells me to visit a store. So at the store I am looking at 149, plus tax, plus 15 to change my phone, bringing the total closer to 200, which isn't worth it to me.

Anyone have any suggestions? When I upgraded to my first Ascend it seemed to be no problem to buy online and I got it for the standard low price. Now, not so much.

Thanks!
    <begin rant>
    Why does everyone complain because a company is trying to make money? Profit is not a dirty word people!
    Even if you could get the $129.99 as and upgrade online youre still gonna pay the esn change fee in a store. Online they don't do the esn change for you. They just send you the phone. So your saving the $20 and the tax. If that little money is a deal breaker for you, you probably can't afford to upgrade your phone. Not making a judgement here, I just see this crap all day.
    Why don't you go into a store and see if they will take your old phone on trade? Maybe you can get it even cheaper than the online price that way. I do that sort of thing in my store all the time.

Yes its monthly. That means you have a bill due EVERY month. Same day every month. Even if you pay it late. Cricket does not prorate service even if you pay it late. It's not prepaid service, it's pay in advance. Prepaid has a floating date based on when you pay. Cricket doesn't. That's why you are given paperwork with a due date on it. If it was prepaid, you wouldn't get that due date. The fact that you can log in to your account and don't know this is incredible.

I'm sorry for the rant people , but I just get tired of the complaining. There are lot's of choices out there. No one here said Cricket is the best. Hell I tell people daily that there is no 'best' wireless company. I say all wireless companies suck, you have to find the one that sucks the least for you.
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

No responses on the quitting and rejoining to get the lower price. So I checked out VM further. Interesting.

The Cricket Ascend 2 will cost me at least $129. The VM Motorola Triumph will cost me $299. Cost difference of $170.

The Cricket Android plan is $55 a month. The VM low-talking rate (me) is $35 a month.

I'll make up the cost difference in 9 months, if I'm thinking right. Let me know if I'm missing something. Here's the spreadsheet:

If you dont talk on your phone, VM is a decent deal. But you'll note the plan thats comparable to Crickets is exactly the same.
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

You "might" be able to get the $25/month plan. It's the same as the $35 plan, they just raised the price, that's all. Hurry and go to Best Buy (NOW!) and see if they can activate the $25 plan. If they can, grab it! If not, come back home, and do some more thinking.

There were reports that the $25/month plan was still available, even though they raised the rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    <begin rant>
    Why does everyone complain because a company is trying to make money? Profit is not a dirty word people!
    Even if you could get the $129.99 as and upgrade online youre still gonna pay the esn change fee in a store. Online they don't do the esn change for you. They just send you the phone. So your saving the $20 and the tax. If that little money is a deal breaker for you, you probably can't afford to upgrade your phone. Not making a judgement here, I just see this crap all day.
    Why don't you go into a store and see if they will take your old phone on trade? Maybe you can get it even cheaper than the online price that way. I do that sort of thing in my store all the time.

I'm sorry for the rant people , but I just get tired of the complaining. There are lot's of choices out there. No one here said Cricket is the best. Hell I tell people daily that there is no 'best' wireless company. I say all wireless companies suck, you have to find the one that sucks the least for you.
    I actually agree with you. Ultimately if you are not happy with you service you are free to change. That is the whole beauty of prepaids like Cricket.

I figured with a forum like this there were likely to be people who upgrade thier phones often and was wondering if there were any tricks for existing customers to get upgrade at the low price online (which I was able to do in the past, no charge for esn, but no longer). Looks l can see if a store might have any flexibly.

Thanks for all the responses.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information