Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

Unjustified Bandwidth Throttling

Hey everyone,

So for the past 3 months I've been getting my bandwidth throttled when I'm only at 3/10ths - 4/10ths usage. I've got a $45 plan and I should be able to use 1GB of data before being throttled, however I've been at between 250MB and 450MB and I've been throttled the past 3 months.

I've called Cricket and the rep on the phone has told me each time that I'm under the 1GB usage, however I've got the Data Throttling (I forget the exact term they used) on my account.

Has this happened to anyone else before?

I'm using an Epic Touch and I've been using it for roughly a year now. I've only had this happen the past 3 months and I've changed nothing. on my account. Haven't reflashed my phone, haven't changed my plan, haven't done anything.

The reps I've talked to each repeat the same script: you're using Customer Provided Equipment so we can't guarantee it would work, you're on the $45 plan so it's not designed for androids, etc etc. Each and every time I call I have to explain to them that it's been working for a year and I haven't changed anything.

Can anyone think of why this is happening (besides it being Cricket's fault, which I'm convinced it is) and how I might fix it?

Edit: Clarification

I think I may have miscommunicated my problem. Here's a recap:

• For ~2 weeks after my billing cycle resets I get ~550kbps download
    • After that time I get throttled to ~80kbps download
    • I call the Customer Service reps and they say my account has "Usage management" on it
    • When I ask them how much data I've used, they say either .2 or .4, meaning less than 1gb which is supposedly my cap

Because I'm always at less than half of 1gb usage, I should not be throttled but I am. Has anyone had this problem, or does anyone know how I can fix it?
    Last edited by tasoli; 10-22-2012 at 03:41 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    EVO 3D

The Reps are right last time I checked when your on the 45$ plan your always gonna be throttled but without to 1GB caps or anything this has been the way of cricket for a long time. Also if you change to the 50$ plan you get much better speeds but you will be cap at 1GB usage. If you had better speeds before and now it got slowed down maybe its cuz cricket or whoever antennas are been upgraded or maintained.

I think I may have miscommunicated my problem. Here's a recap:

• For ~2 weeks after my billing cycle resets I get ~550kbps download
    • After that time I get throttled to ~80kbps download
    • I call the Customer Service reps and they say my account has "Usage management" on it
    • When I ask them how much data I've used, they say either .2 or .4, meaning less than 1gb which is supposedly my cap

Because I'm always at less than half of 1gb usage, I should not be throttled but I am. Has anyone had this problem, or does anyone know how I can fix it?

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|

Thats why im on Verizon Prepaid lol REAL unlimited 3G no throttle, Ive downloaded (so far) 153GB of stuff in this month alone lol
    Add me on Facebook.com/oriax123

If I helped you, please click '*' at the bottom left of that post.

Overall activity: 2.0%

Quote Originally Posted by oriax123 View Post
    Thats why im on Verizon Prepaid lol REAL unlimited 3G no throttle, Ive downloaded (so far) 153GB of stuff in this month alone lol
    Buddy you might be a cell phone addict. lol

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|

Quote Originally Posted by captainkirks View Post
    Buddy you might be a cell phone addict. lol
    Oh noooo lol I use it for tethering :P
    Add me on Facebook.com/oriax123

If I helped you, please click '*' at the bottom left of that post.

Nerd
    Phone
    Kyocera Dorado

just get the $50 plan. It is much better
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

Customer Since
    1000 B.C.
    Phone
    Kyocera K132

You are not on a smartphone plan so you dont get smart phone data simple as that

While I greatly appreciate all of the suggestions to switch to different carriers and different plans, my question wasn't about alternatives to my current situation.

Once again here is my question: My phone has been working fine for a year with a 1GB bandwidth limitation per billing cycle. Suddenly 3 months ago I started to get throttled arbitrarily, without exceeding my 1GB bandwidth. Has this ever happened to you, and if so how did you fix it?

When I call cricket they state I have a 1GB bandwidth allotment per billing cycle. If I am at .2 as their representatives say, that would mean I have used less than 1GB and should not be throttled. All of the representatives I have spoken to agree with me, but don't know how to fix it.

Customer Since
    1000 B.C.
    Phone
    Kyocera K132

$45 rate plan has never had high speed data, NEVER. You are not on a smartphone rate plan so you do not get high speed data you have not been throttled your just allowed access to 1x WAP. And cricket customer service has no clue as to what you are really asking they just read the prompts and go through the motions hence the reason why you got no answer. Up your plan or stick with what you got plain and simple. There was no "Unjustified Throttling"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
    $45 rate plan has never had high speed data, NEVER. You are not on a smartphone rate plan so you do not get high speed data you have not been throttled your just allowed access to 1x WAP. And cricket customer service has no clue as to what you are really asking they just read the prompts and go through the motions hence the reason why you got no answer. Up your plan or stick with what you got plain and simple. There was no "Unjustified Throttling"
    I'm not sure why you're telling me I've never had something I know that I've had, but thank you for your opinion. I have been using the plan for over a year so I'm pretty familiar with what speeds I get and when/if I'm being throttled down from those speeds.

For anyone else who's interested in the thread, I believe they may have lowered the $45 plan's monthly allotment "silently" from 1GB to .2GB. I'm not sure why the cricket reps are telling me that I've still got 1GB as my cap, but their website seems to indicate either the $45/1GB plan is coming to an end or has come to end and it is now a $45/.2GB plan, meaning that you get full speeds until you use 200MB.

Customer Since
    1000 B.C.
    Phone
    Kyocera K132

Ok I see what you are saying

$45 Feature rate plan ran behind proxy until recently when cricket realized how big of a piece of feces that the ZTE Score was, at that point they removed the proxy, data speeds remained the same 3g/EVDO as they always were. Now they have a data cap. I was wrong kinda, BUT SO WERE YOU!!!!!!!! (jk)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
    Ok I see what you are saying

$45 Feature rate plan ran behind proxy until recently when cricket realized how big of a piece of feces that the ZTE Score was, at that point they removed the proxy, data speeds remained the same 3g/EVDO as they always were. Now they have a data cap. I was wrong kinda, BUT SO WERE YOU!!!!!!!! (jk)
    Yeah... looks like I'll be going to VZW Prepaid after all..

Customer Since
    1000 B.C.
    Phone
    Kyocera K132

Thats even worse, lol, if you want Page Plus lemme know, if you want Next G let me know (Next G is a Verizon Network Carrier, they actually advertise it on signage, Page Plus runs on verizon but they cant advertise that) Next G is something worth looking into since they have amazing coverage and take foreign ESNs

Overall activity: 1.0%

To original post user. I have been on the $45 plan forever with the exact same issues 340mb this time and my throttle was set. Weird thing is i have two phones on this acccount and it was one phone with 200mb the other with 140mb. Both phones throttle at the same time. The throttling speed literally takes 2 1/2 full minutes to load just this page alone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information