Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 2.0%

Verizon to Cricket

I'm considering getting a second-had Droid 3 and was wondering what would be necessary to do to switch this phone to Cricket if at all possible. I'm asking this due to the "Illegal to unlock" ruling which complicates things.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I would follow one of the Droid tutorials. I believe there is one specifically for the Droid 3. The law is really vague and they make enforcement unclear.

A lot of LTE devices that Verizon have are carrier unlocked, so would Verizon ever say that you weren't given permission on the Droid 3? Unclear in my book.

If you feel like you can tackle the flashing process, or if you have sourced someone to flash the device for you, I would start a Cricket account at that time.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Banned
    Overall activity: 1.0%

If I remember correctly the Droid is made by Motorola which allows you to fully unlock the phone at their site. Basically it just voids your warranty. Nothing illegal here.

Overall activity: 2.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodriguez View Post
    I would follow one of the Droid tutorials. I believe there is one specifically for the Droid 3. The law is really vague and they make enforcement unclear. A lot of LTE devices that Verizon have are carrier unlocked, so would Verizon ever say that you weren't given permission on the Droid 3? Unclear in my book. If you feel like you can tackle the flashing process, or if you have sourced someone to flash the device for you, I would start a Cricket account at that time.
    This one? http://www.cricketusers.com/verizon-...-internet.html While I think all the downloads work...several steps have been removed. I'd rather not proceed with that missing out on a vital step or two.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by JerichoKru View Post
    This one? http://www.cricketusers.com/verizon-...-internet.html While I think all the downloads work...several steps have been removed. I'd rather not proceed with that missing out on a vital step or two.
    If you are concerned about flashing it yourself, I would check out:

Fully Flash Samsung Android Phone Remotely to Cricket Galaxy s S2 S3 Mesmerize | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by tieman123 View Post
    If I remember correctly the Droid is made by Motorola which allows you to fully unlock the phone at their site. Basically it just voids your warranty. Nothing illegal here.
    Referring to carrier unlock. Referring to that bill that passed by the Library of Congress earlier in the year.

Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 07-18-2013 at 08:28 PM.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

It's not on the manufacturer... It would depend on the carrier.

"So does this mean that it's illegal to unlock a smartphone?
    The law does not preclude you from getting your smartphone unlocked. What it does potentially prevent is you being able to get your phone unlocked without your carrier's permission.

The way most people get their cell phones unlocked today is that they call their wireless provider and ask for an unlock code. If certain criteria are met, the carrier provides the unlock code. The consumer then enters the code and goes through the unlocking steps and voila the phone is unlocked.

That said, the wireless industry would argue that unlocking a phone without a carrier's permission is a violation of the DMCA. But the EFF and Public Knowledge, a consumer advocacy group, would argue it's not breaking the law, since they don't see these locks as DRM software, which is supposed to protect copyrighted digital content from piracy. In other words, the software lock is not being used to prevent others from stealing the OS software and using it on other devices. Instead it's meant to prevent the device from being used on another carrier's network, which consumer advocates argue is clearly trying to limit consumer choice and competition and not preventing piracy.

The only way to test whose interpretation of the law is correct is to test the law in court. But getting a lawsuit filed that will test this statute is not easy. And it's potentially a long and arduous process. This is why in the past, the EFF has asked for an exemption in the law. And until this year, it was granted that exemption."

I find it unlikely that a carrier would go after you if you acquired the phone in a fair manner (off contract, ebay, etc). As it says in this copy and pasted article, you can only find out if you try.

Thread Information