Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

The Wall Street Journal - Leap execs to review "all options" after poor Q2

This article is from The Wall Street Journal:

t-mobile-usa-leap-wireless-ink-deal-spectrum-exchange-2.jpg

--Customer cancellations outpaced new customers in second quarter
    --Leap plans to cut spending and review "all options" for turnaround
    --Loss narrows as customer revenue rises

(Updates with comment about Sprint payment, beginning in the 12th paragraph.)

By Thomas Gryta Leap Wireless International Inc. (LEAP) reported a steep increase in net departing customers in the second quarter, though improved margins helped to narrow its overall financial loss in the period.

The pay-as-you-go wireless provider, which offers service under the Cricket brand, is now evaluating "all options," including cost cuts and potential asset sales, as it attempts to turn around its business. In the quarter, Leap wasn't able to add enough customers to offset higher service cancellations. It pulled back on promotions in order to put a larger effort into third-quarter product launches and marketing.

"We did not see the customer activity that we expected," Chief Executive Doug Hutcheson said in an interview.

Shares fell 12% in after-hours trading to $4.84. Through the close, the stock was down 41% so far this year.

The company lost a net 289,000 customers in the latest quarter, mostly consisting of voice customers, compared with a net loss of 103,000 customers a year ago. Wall Street analysts were expecting a loss of about 76,000 customers in the quarter, according to Wells Fargo.

"Our results for the second quarter are not acceptable," Chief Financial Officer Jerry Elliott, who was appointed in April, said on a conference call. He stressed the company would aggressively cut spending and focus on improving customer experience.

Mr. Elliott said the company is reviewing all options for all parts of its business and is focused on improving free cash flow.

The company now sees capital expenditures for 2012 of between $530 million and $560 million, a drop from its previous projection of $600 million to $650 million.
    In cutting its capital expenditure plans for the year, the company will cut back some of its spending on its existing 3G network and keep focused on its next-generations rollout. Mr. Hutcheson said the company is confident the changes will have no effect on the quality of the Cricket service.

He said the company is also exploring options to reach a network partnership as a potentially "cost-effective" way to give its customers more access to next-generation network technology.

The Cricket service will also be rolling out new service plans in the coming weeks, he said, that will change "how we go to market on data."

In the conference call, Leap said it doesn't believe it must make a $75 million minimum payment to network partner Sprint Nextel Corp. (S) for 2012 because of "certain provisions" in their agreement. Leap expects to make a "significant majority" of the payment.

Leap said Sprint doesn't agree with that decision and the two companies are in discussions. A Sprint spokesman declined to comment.

The Cricket service had a total of 5.9 million customers, up 2.7% from a year earlier. Churn, a gauge of customer turnover, edged higher to 4.4% from 4.2% last year. Average revenue per user was up 3.7% at $41.64.

The company launched a pay-as-you-go version of Apple Inc.'s (AAPL) iPhone in June, but Mr. Hutcheson wouldn't disclose how initial sales have performed. The company began its first advertising for the device last week, he said.

The carrier started selling the iPhone last month, making it the first major pay-as-you-go carrier in the U.S. to offer the popular device. It charges a high price for the phone itself, but monthly service is much less than contract-based plans from the major carriers. Sprint Nextel's Virgin Mobile began selling prepaid iPhone service plans shortly after Leap, but doesn't provide the device subsidy that Leap gives its customers.

Leap struck a three-year deal with Apple that included an agreement to spend $900 million to carry the iPhone.

Leap has reported growing revenue in recent quarters. But the company hasn't posted a quarterly profit since 2007, after its lower-income customer base was hit particularly hard by the recession.

Leap posted a loss of $41.6 million, or 54 cents a share, compared with a year-ago loss of $65.2 million, or 85 cents a share.

Revenue rose 3.5% to $786.8 million, while wireless service margins rose 25% from 23% a year ago and 17% in the first quarter.

Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters recently expected a loss of 50 cents a share, with revenue of $836 million.

-Kristin Jones contributed to this story

Write to Thomas Gryta at thomas.gryta@dowjones.com
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.

I can't say I blame people for leaving cricket, if you don't live in an urban area your coverage is crap.

I have to use wifi to install an app, pay 73$ a month if I want tethering and I'm stuck cos I paid so high for an iPhone and their droid selection was crap.

If I had it to do over I would use virgins iPhone wit the 35$ plan. Also in Ohio seems cricket will not flash smart phones anymore that was huge revenue for them

Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Krdyt View Post
    I can't say I blame people for leaving cricket, if you don't live in an urban area your coverage is crap.

I have to use wifi to install an app, pay 73$ a month if I want tethering and I'm stuck cos I paid so high for an iPhone and their droid selection was crap.

If I had it to do over I would use virgins iPhone wit the 35$ plan. Also in Ohio seems cricket will not flash smart phones anymore that was huge revenue for them
    Here in Portland, at the corporate stores, I had some issues getting an account for a flashed phone, manager wouldn't let me just sign up for an account and then get my programming info, he said he had to see the phone and it had to work before I left.. I went to next day and got someone to do it...

Use to be years ago you could just walk in and get an account no problems.. they do seem to be discouraging the flashers in the corporate stores..

I dont get it either because your right it seems to be just an additional customer, if they are going to add foreign esns...

its kinda like downloading movies, the movies i download dont get my money cos im not gonna pay to see them anyway, the ones i like a lot can have my 20$ cos they are good movies.

cricket needs to understand if i bring a phone in, they charge me 50$+ at some places to flash it, then im a customer for 1 year at 55 a month, plus the 3$ they charge to pay the bill and tax comes to like 62$, so thats a good deal for them. they have the best price not the best phones, stick to flashing, thats where most customers came to them anyway.

now im stuck in this because i paid 500$ for a phone i cant unlock, the guy told me before he sold it that it was CDMA but it also has a sim card reader, now i find out later im pretty sure it cant be unlocked. ill have to make a topic on that, but so far im stuck with cricket, where i work i get terrible service it takes 45min to dl an app.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    "Our results for the second quarter are not acceptable," Chief Financial Officer Jerry Elliott, who was appointed in April, said on a conference call. He stressed the company would aggressively cut spending and focus on improving customer experience.
    ahahaha, how can cutting spending especially on your 3g network "improve customer experience"
    super serial guyz. .

Thread Information