Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

We need a new mobile business model

Had some sleepy thoughts about the current mobile industry and their business model. It almost compares to the car industry business model. You buy a phone or car and make payments. You buy a car or phone outright at a high price. You lease/rent a car and turn it in a few years later ..but with mobile phones we do not. Why, because they dont resell phones as the dollar amount is low and the phone usually is obsolete. Lets see how we can overcome that lease/rent issue.

Well, lets create a model were certain phones are "bought/leased" at cheap prices, like for $50. As an golden incentive, the phones are already rooted and are setup such that noobs can customized them in various ways with ROM's, apps, bling, etc... Such that noobs can copy/download a rom or app to a phone, hit a button combination and its installed. And they can remove bloat. Essential files are locked. In fact, the manufactures will encourage ROM's and apps for their phones. As a fail safe, the phones can have the original ROM/apps hardcoded in a chip and by powering up with a button combination the entire phone is cleared and reset new completely.

Contacts, photos, music, videos and sms messages would have a special default storage location that would be untouched even with a fail safe reflash. If you change the location, shame on you as it will be lost.

Heres the trap. First, At $50, the phones are hardcoded locked so only the carrier that sold it can make money from selling you service on any plan. Second, the phones are hardcoded with a suicide chip where phones will work for like two years from initial activation then will commit chip suicide. Dead phone forever, except for the ability to power up and get contacts, photos, music videos and sms from the default location.

At $50 or less it becomes less attractive to thieves.

The downfall is the advertising/ads that can be turned off. Thats a big sell and part of the industry. Maybe a hardcoded banner or not? I'll have to think about that one a while.

So, this model is like a lease/rent for people with no phone skills. Its "leased" cheap attracting the masses of people, can be easily and completely customized, can be simply restored/reset new, suicide chip forces you to buy the latest phones, hardcoded lock keeps you paying for service with the carrier who sold it cheap, cheap price less theft.

I'm sure there are flaws in the model, feel free to point it out or suggest your own business model. .....time to cook some eggs and bacon for breakfast.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Customer Since
    May 2011
    Phone
    Droid Razr

There are a few things wrong with this perspective.

First, most people buy a phone and use it, same as a car. They don't want to spend the time customizing, they don't care if they have a custom rom. They get there apps from the various stores that come with the phone (most don't even know there are other store options or other ways to install apps).

This is your general consumer.

Second, your adding to the landfills. You are not only making a phone that obsoletes itself in two years, but becomes non-functional. My first Android was the Droid 2 and I used that phone for over two years before replacing because I didn't need to upgrade. When I did tech support for Verizon there were a ton of users still using 3 year + aged original Droid Phones (yes original Droid) and I know people still using an Originally Galaxy S, etc... Well over 3 Years.

The problem is, as with other things, there isn't enough statistical information to call for changes like this. How many people actually upgrade there phone? How many used phones from upgrades are resold to other customers? How many phones 2+ years old are still in use on networks?

And you would be surprised by the amount of people still using feature phones as well. Up until last year Feature phone sales consistently surpassed Smartphone sales, last year was the first time this changed.

And, you did compare it to cars so what happens to the used phone market that is currently pretty strong?

Gold Member

Interesting perspective. Not trying to argue but if i can ask a few questions so i understand.

1. Are you saying if the general consumer was offered a $50 phone and could press a button to customize it as he liked, that he would refuse the phone because thats too difficult?
    2. Aren't all phones added to landfills or recycled at some point whether bought or leased?
    3. Are you saying most people cant afford $50 for a new phone two years later and that they would rather keep their older obsolete phone longer?

To answer the question, I guess the used phone market gets smaller and is replaced by cheaply "leased" new customized phones. And this puts more money in the manufactures and carriers pockets over time. People can still buy $600 phones if they want to and keep them for 10 years. Or they can "lease" them under different rules.

Overall activity: 24.0%

Customer Since
    May 2011
    Phone
    Droid Razr

What I'm saying isn't that they would refuse, they just wouldn't do it. I deal with general consumers all day long such as Real Estate Agents, Bankers, Car Dealers, etc...

These people don't care about customizing there phone. They simply want it to work and do what they need it to do, that's it. These people aren't going to risk the possibility of an incompatible "ROM" that would cause some of there software to work, nor do they care. That is the plain and simple truth.

The estimated number of rooted phones is only around 2%. The estimated number of Jailbroke iPhones is only around 3%...........

Your trying to appeal to the smallest user base, while most of these businesses are appealing to the larger user base.

You also need to realize that most of these people are also already only paying $50 to $100 for a phone and signing a 2 year contract, etc....

Companies like Cricket, etc... hold a minority of the customer base. The big three carriers, ATT, Verizon, and Sprint, hold most of that customer base and those people are signing contracts and getting new phones for around the price your already recommending.

• Wireless carrier market share subscriptions United States 2011-2014 | Statistic

Gold Member

Fortunately, we have progressed from horses to cars, from land line phones to flip phones, from flip phones to smart phones ...and not stayed stuck in time.

People dont customize phones today because its too technically complicated. If they could "push a button and make it happen" then they would try. Humans like variety. Thats why they dont sell one brand/model of phone and why apps themselves have settings to customize things.

If customization is made simple it then appeals to a larger customer base. And a future customer base that is less technically challenged such as 6-18 year olds growing up.

You are right about the bad ROM and that is why it is a non issue due to the hardcoded rom reflash i mentioned.

I agree, the masses are stuck in a contract at $100 per phone and fees etc... And until other options like my model are available, then they will be stuck doing the same thing forever. ......progress happens so say the horses.

Nerd
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Kyocera Dorado

I work with a lot of customers from different states on a daily basis. A general consumer does not care about customization. About 5-10% of those who I work with would take on modifying the OS. With the way android is headed, bloatware and such are getting obsolete. For example, my moto x on 4.4.2 only has about 3 apps that are from sprint (as a comparison, razr HD on 4.1.2 had 21!).
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

Gold Member

Because its not simple today they dont care today about trying to figure it out. Tomorrow they will care if it was simple to do. You are saying if you offered 5 S4's with 5 diff roms and customizations to a 100 people that 98 of them would choose the same factory one. Im saying the majority will choose different ones. Its fundamental sales & marketing.

sent from the future......

Edit: Ok to test ya'll's perspective , all dealers need to remove all phones from the counter and only have one htc, motorola, samsung, zte, etc... displayed and not offer a variety of hardware for the general population to choose from. See if sales collapse, stay the same or rise.

Edit: I'm sensing that the youngsters here only have a few years to draw from whereas i have decades of watching industry's change.
    Last edited by wiseoldman; 06-23-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Nerd
    Phone
    Kyocera Dorado

Roms require root- root gives them access to many things- roms are not always 100 % tested and do not have future support whereas normal android has way better support. Manufacturers will not take upon offering warranty to very customized phones. What you are offering is similar to Ubuntu and Windows war. Guess what people have been choosing for decades.
    Though we are youngsters, we did have cell phones present for the most part of our lives.
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

Gold Member

Youre still living in the moment Dina and under the same rules. Warranty rules can change. Manufactures can easily offer optional warranties for $50 phones. They know most people will not pay $20 for a warranty on a $50 phone and instead will just take that $20 and go buy another $50 phone. This concept is about leasing phones and making them disposable but keeping them attached to one carrier. Think CVS or walmart and cheap items and warranties they offer on $50 electronic items.

Again, the bad ROMs are not an issue with a hardcoded ROM. And as i mentioned they can be "supported" by manufactures where they offer some quality control quidelines. Again, think tomorrow rules not rules they play by today.

This isnt much different than offering variety with millions of bad/useless apps offered on playstore.

BTW, i appreciate everyone's opinion and ya'll make good points.

Nerd
    Phone
    Kyocera Dorado

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldman View Post
    Youre still living in the moment Dina and under the same rules. Warranty rules can change. Manufactures can easily offer optional warranties for $50 phones. They know most people will not pay $20 for a warranty on a $50 phone and instead will just take that $20 and go buy another $50 phone. This concept is about leasing phones and making them disposable but keeping them attached to one carrier. Think CVS or walmart and cheap items and warranties they offer on $50 electronic items.

Again, the bad ROMs are not an issue with a hardcoded ROM. And as i mentioned they can be "supported" by manufactures where they offer some quality control quidelines. Again, think tomorrow rules not rules they play by today.

This isnt much different than offering variety with millions of bad/useless apps offered on playstore.

BTW, i appreciate everyone's opinion and ya'll make good points.
    May be I am old fashioned in this sense, but I am still not trusting my 2 year old niece a book of matches.

Gold Member

lol. true.

Thread Information