Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

What's the New Cricket going to do with folks who still owe?

I bought my new S4 in February. I have 2 years to pay it off, or do I? I plan on having it paid before the interest hits in August. But what about those who still owe when the phones become inoperable? They can't trade them in. They won't work on a non-existent CDMA network. What are they going to do? Any inside knowledge?

2. Remove this advertisement.

Customer Since
    FEB 2013
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

Probably send you to collections, but you are not paying the phone to cricket, but to a third party finance company.

If you are still paying, it still is in breach of contract because the agreement is that you continue to keep your phone connected to Cricket. But, Cricket will not allow you to switch phones if there is a balance. So what is Cricket going to do? They can't send you to collections because you are current on the payments, and haven't done anything to breach the contract.

Overall activity: 24.0%

Customer Since
    May 2011
    Phone
    Droid Razr

I don't know what the Galaxy S4 cost on that program, but I doubt they will be doing anything until right close to the CDMA shut down. They want you to pay on it as long as possible so that when they basically "HAVE" to do something the money out of there pockets is a lot less.

I.E. if they do something in say February of next year you will have already paid 50% of the phone off.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

you can pay early and it is highly recommended because the interest will still be less than if you pay it off over the full 2 year agreement. Fortiva is not a company to play around with, they will send you to collections and bring a lawsuit to garnish your wages etc if you show any signs of not holding up to the agreement you made upon phone purchase. i tell every customer to read the documents you receive from fortiva when you get a new phone.

https://www.fortivaservicing.com/

But the point is that if Cricket stops CDMA service while a bunch of folks who have been paying their minimum monthly installment, still owe money on their phones, they won't be able to trade in their now non-working phones until they pay them off. How are Cricket and Fortiva going to handle this?

Customer Since
    May 2011
    Phone
    Droid Razr

Quote Originally Posted by rsdin559 View Post
    But the point is that if Cricket stops CDMA service while a bunch of folks who have been paying their minimum monthly installment, still owe money on their phones, they won't be able to trade in their now non-working phones until they pay them off. How are Cricket and Fortiva going to handle this?
    How do you know this? We are still 9 months from when AT&T expects to start turning off the CDMA network. We don't know what is going to happen when this time gets close. AT&T may already be working behind the scenes on this.

And if you think they are going to offer something soon? Forget it. AT&T is a business and the longer they wait the less people owe on the phones and if they do something for these customers it will cost them a lot less cash in February versus right now.

As for this company garnishing paychecks, someone must not understand what it takes to garnish a paycheck and that it usually isn't worth taking someone to court over an amount less than $300. I'm not saying they won't, but even Credit Card companies don't take people to court over bills less than $300.

Cricket didn't stop selling the S4 until the first part of March 2014. Fortiva finances for a maximum of 2 years. So, in the worst case, a person could owe for another year after AT&T shuts down the CDMA network. I believe, that they will have to do something to prevent these folks from losing service. That part is pretty much guaranteed by their agreement with the FCC. I don't think they can get away with offering these folks a flip phone, worth much less than they owe, to get them by until their S4 is paid off. Maybe this is where the traded-in AT&T phones will come into play. Just my guess.

Customer Since
    May 2011
    Phone
    Droid Razr

Actually, I suspect this is where FRU (Factory Refurbished Unit) and CLNR (Certified Like New Replacement) will come into play. The problem is that right now Cricket doesn't have any for GSM. AT&T would have to rebrand current AT&T GSM phones, which of course costs money and replacement parts that normally may not need replaced.

By waiting 8 to 9 months after they launched the GSM network they are probably hoping to build up a stock of them from the "Early Adopters". Those people who have already switched, or will switch soon, and purchase new phones. These people tend to upgrade faster so AT&T is probably expecting trade-ins. Plus those phones are under warranty and when they replace them in this method they also end up sending the other phone out for refurbishment.

It will probably be a trade across from one Galaxy S4 to another but, as I mentioned previously in this or another thread, AT&T isn't going to do that without the value of the phone coming down and having another option beside replacing it with a brand new phone.

Makes sense. S5 coming out at the end of the month. Lots of S4s coming back as trade ins. As far as re-branding, all they would do is slap a new Cricket back on the phone. There would be some software changes, though. Shouldn't be too expensive. But we'll have to wait and see.

Customer Since
    May 2011
    Phone
    Droid Razr

The problem here is two fold. This forum only represents 1% of the total cricket customer base (that's 40k users on this forum compared to 4 million total customers).

The people here seem to think AT&T should be offer all these incentives right now, but right now for AT&T there is not a business need to do so. If people weren't buying phones for the new GSM network and switching it might be different, but people are.

What we don't know is how many people were actually on flashed phones? How many people have already been switching? How many people have traded in a CDMA Cricket phone and purchased a GSM Cricket phone?

AT&T has all this information and based on this information they are making decisions. AT&T is a business and they are going to make decisions that maximize there profit while losing the least amount of customers they can "AND" they have something they didn't have before which is going to gain them additional customers as well

AT&T Store Rep: "Well you would have to pay XXX deposit"
    Customer: "I'm not doing that"
    AT&T Store Rep: "There is a cricket store down the street where you just purchase your phone and no credit checks. They are on the same network"
    Customer: "Cool, I'lll go there"

So, regardless, AT&T still gets the business.

There are so many things that go into these decisions and from a business perspective most of these decisions don't need made yet, such as offering higher incentives and such. I suspect plans are in place depending on what AT&T sees between say now and October. Maybe they will run a Christmas special incentive to get people to switch?

And if you think AT&T is going to let "ANY" word of any possible future incentives slip out, your wrong. As long as they continue letting people think "This is it" for incentives more and more people will switch over to the GSM network.

Some other things that we don't know that go into this decision.

How many people are expected to damage there phones and need a new one prior to the CDMA shut off? (These people will automatically purchase a new phone on the GSM network when they go to the cricket store).

How many smartphone customers are on a phone valued more than $200 "NEW"? The people on phones valued less than $200 new and have had that phone for over 6 months won't be as much of an issue to switch to the new GSM network.

There are so many more questions we may not even think about, but AT&T is.

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

In Feburary 2015 they will text all CDMA customers and tell them CDMA is being turned off and they need to go over to GSM. For people still paying on contract, the amounts still owed will be so low that ATT might just say, trade in your phone and get a discount on a GSM phone but you will still need to pay us the low amount still owed on the contract. ...my prediction.

Thread Information