Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Why Cricket? (The Honest Truth)

If you're wondering if Cricket is the carrier to switch to, this thread is for you! I will try to include both the positive things about Cricket and the negative things about Cricket.

If you choose to get Cricket, please use the link below to shop:

Cell Phone Plans | Cell Phones | Cell Phone Service | Cricket Wireless

Alright, let's get started.

Why Cricket?

There are many good things about Cricket, along with some not so good things..

First, we'll discuss the good:

UNLIMITED: Cricket's services are unlimited. You can talk as little or as much as you want without needing to worry about overages. Mobile Broadband is also unlimited, along with Android and Blackberry data plans. The data plans may have a soft cap, but after hitting that cap, your service will continue to work. It will just slow you down.

No Contracts or Credit Checks: With Cricket, you won't need to get your credit checked, and you won't be getting into a contract. You can keep the service for as long as you'd like, and you don't need to worry about an Early Termination Fee.

The Network: Cricket Wireless' network is reliable. In some areas, it might be as reliable, if not more reliable, than Verizon Wireless! Cricket has 3G in all markets, unlike Cricket's main competitor, MetroPCS. With Cricket you also have the ability to roam nationwide on Sprint. You can also roam on MetroPCS and some other small networks free of charge. For those areas where you can't get service with any of them, you can roam on Verizon Wireless for a fee. So, with Cricket, you're covered almost everywhere. Yes, even Canada and Mexico are covered now! (Canada and Mexico roaming is at a fee.)

Plans & Pricing: Cricket Wireless' cheapest unlimited monthly plan for cell phones is at $35/month. That includes unlimited talk and text, along with some other features such as long distance and caller ID. For an additional $10/month, you can add more features including international text messaging and unlimited mobile web. For a total of $55/month you can get an Android or Blackberry. Be prepared to pay double that, or more, on some competitors. Mobile Broadband on Cricket starts at just $40/month.

The Future of Cricket Wireless: There is some exciting stuff something to Cricket! Cricket Wireless is going to be putting up their own 4G LTE towers soon. Cricket also signed an agreement with Lightsquared which will supplement their service in other areas. Cricket signed an MVNO agreement with Sprint, which means in the future Cricket Wireless will be sold across the country, even where Cricket doesn't have their own towers. Cricket Wireless is planning on coming out with many more devices, including more Android phones and tablets! Check out the forum for more information.

Now, we'll discuss the bad:

Customer Service: Cricket is known to have customer service that isn't "good". They can handle basic things, but for the rest you might want to find a good corporate store or authorized dealer to help you. If you want excellent customer service, plan on paying double what you pay now.

Throttling: After you use the amount of data that comes with your plan, your speed will slow down. This is called throttling. This is alright for some users, but for others it makes things very difficult. You can expect speeds to be around 100 kbps (or around double the speed of dial-up). Please note that Cricket isn't the only carrier that does this. Also, remember if you go to another carrier they might shut off your data completely, or start charging overages. Your speed might slow down on Cricket, but it is still unlimited.

Double Text Messaging Problem: There has been a problem on Cricket in which you get more than one of the same message. At times, you may receive messages out of order. I have not personally experienced this problem, but others have. You might be able to resolve this issue by calling customer service.

AWS: In some markets, Cricket users a frequency (or band) called AWS. This uses 1,700 Mhz for voice and 2,100 Mhz for 3G data. Because of that, you can't flash phones in those markets. Before you try to flash a phone, try to find out if you're in an AWS market. Either way, you might want to consider getting a phone by Cricket instead. Cricket is getting more and more nice phones.

If you're interested in getting Cricket, please click on the following link to shop:

Cell Phone Plans | Cell Phones | Cell Phone Service | Cricket Wireless

Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 05-04-2012 at 02:00 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    Huawei Ascend 2

Had the double texting problem. I think it's more of a phone issue then anything. new phone doesn't have the problem one bit!

Phone
    ZTE Source rooted

I Love Cricket! i was around Since the nokia bar phone that had a pop up antenna and changeable face plates and buttons.. heck i remember when u could go to the store and find that little copper antenna sticker that was SUPPOSED to enhance your range...

Phone
    samsung messenger2

At least this review isn't biased. This means both the good points and the bad points were shared. I like the no contract aspect the most. That's a challenge to all of the contract carriers. If your service is as good as you say it is, offer up no contract.

I can agree with the customer service part because when my phone was shut off, they make it hard for you to speak to a customer service representative.

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Phone
    Cricket Captr II

After getting ripped off numerous times from two out of the big three (had verizon prepaid and tmobile unlimited plan not really)
    I got tired of the big three in mobile phones. ALso, I never bothered with AT and T because here in chicago (The apartment i stay at) they mandate you only have one option for internet and it is unfortunately AT and T and their service is so abhorric and terrible i dont want to even begin. Tmobile is full of useless incompetent servicemen and women that never back down on charges and the taxes, plus the fees plus the charges is PURE BS!!!!! Cricket is awesome. I was introduced by a friend and now i cant wait to get the mercury or glory or whatever it is called. I have had the cricket captr II for about 2 years and its a reliable phone nonetheless. I got it for onlt 5$ at the dealer Brand new too! Tmobile phones are cheap quality and verzion is just a pure ripoff. Screw all of that. I hope cricket gains more market share because for us hard working people and college students this is the ONLY Option. I repeat THE ONLY OPTION and the best most feasible option.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

also I may add, when you are only paying 35 a month for unlimited talk and text, i dont care if people get my text twice. haha

Good review !

I use the wireless All In Broadband plan $65.00 a month with the 7.5Gb cap and the a605 modem.

Now I only use it five days a week on my shift at work and the speed average across the board is fine with me. 1569981866.png

First month and second month my average data use was 2.9 Gb to 6.4 Gb, I use the service mainly to chat, play an online game, facebook, email, and a little youtube. So in short I am a happy camper considering there is no other choice, my hotspot on my phone is half the speed of cricket and not as reliable.

Well two days ago I was shocked to see speeds of
    1605185281.png

So and another great thing about the cricket service is you can monitor your usage, bill, etc.

Sure enough I have passed the 7.5 GB data limit and just as promised service was just slowed down and not cut off.

So today I looked around before paying my bill to see if I had better options in short NO!

Tmobile, verizon, and a few others want up to $149.00 for a device plus 50 a month for 2.5 GB (but quoted) as unlimited, both informed me over 2.5 the service would stop.

In short for a second internet connection just for work I find cricket to be the best deal going for mobile broadband

Overall activity: 4.0%

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowslinger View Post
    Good review !

I use the wireless All In Broadband plan $65.00 a month with the 7.5Gb cap and the a605 modem.

Now I only use it five days a week on my shift at work and the speed average across the board is fine with me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1569981866.png 
Views:	257 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	1140

First month and second month my average data use was 2.9 Gb to 6.4 Gb, I use the service mainly to chat, play an online game, facebook, email, and a little youtube. So in short I am a happy camper considering there is no other choice, my hotspot on my phone is half the speed of cricket and not as reliable.

Well two days ago I was shocked to see speeds of
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1605185281.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	1141

So and another great thing about the cricket service is you can monitor your usage, bill, etc.

Sure enough I have passed the 7.5 GB data limit and just as promised service was just slowed down and not cut off.

So today I looked around before paying my bill to see if I had better options in short NO!

Tmobile, verizon, and a few others want up to $149.00 for a device plus 50 a month for 2.5 GB (but quoted) as unlimited, both informed me over 2.5 the service would stop.

In short for a second internet connection just for work I find cricket to be the best deal going for mobile broadband
    This is great info, I've never had to deal with a customer who has hit their cap (I don't have many mobile broadband customers here.) Glad to see it's still useable for normal web surfing when you hit the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby9058 View Post
    This is great info, I've never had to deal with a customer who has hit their cap (I don't have many mobile broadband customers here.) Glad to see it's still useable for normal web surfing when you hit the cap.
    I found the reason why my usage jumped so high using the great day by day usage monitor from my account.

I streamed two football games live and also MSNBC three nights, I will not be doing that again LOL

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

been with cricket since jan 2011, love it. i pay after taxes and the counter fee $40 for unlimited talk text. no web or pics. i would love call waiting but can go without. people always assume i work for cricket i get a discount and that's why i use it. i chose cricket since my phone was free (samsung stunt) i don't have to worry about minutes, contracts, per minute/megabyte overage fees, who i'm calling, or when i'm calling. i don't get any discounts on my service since i'm not a corporate employee. i do get the best deals on phones as soon as we get them in

Customer Since
    June 2008
    Phone
    M886

I have been with cricket going on 5 years now. I have been with Verizon, T-Mobile, and Alltel all of which I was paying out the a$$. Just for talk and text I had to watch my minutes and the amount of texts I sent out. I was pushing $80 dollars and that was before androids and the Iphone where real big. I had my doubts about cricket, but to my satisfaction Cricket has been the best thing going for me I don't have to watch my texting limit, I don't have to wait until after seven to call somebody its truly unlimited. Everybody I know bad mouths Cricket about the service in all the time I have been with Cricket I have never had a problem versus the other companies I was with.

I am currently on metro pcs. I bought a Thunderbolt, which so far as it seems, has been flashed successfully to cricket. I only managed to get my tbolt only text and talk on metro. So I am considering maybe switching temporarily to cricket until someone successfully flashes the tbolt to metro. As for metro service, i am very content. I live in central valley and have not experience a drop called, double texting, throttling, and have reliable 3g on my evo, before I sold it. I saw the coverage map (cricket), Stockton, and see a big patch with no service where my daughter goes to school- in Stockton. With metro, i have yet to experience a no service-from the bay, to so Cal to nor Cal- all reliable. So my question is, if there is a spot with no coverage on cricket- will it switch over to another carrier to get service? Anyone here is from Stockton that can provide their experience with cricket service on a flashed smartphone?

Quote Originally Posted by montecristo1 View Post
    I am currently on metro pcs. I bought a Thunderbolt, which so far as it seems, has been flashed successfully to cricket. I only managed to get my tbolt only text and talk on metro. So I am considering maybe switching temporarily to cricket until someone successfully flashes the tbolt to metro. As for metro service, i am very content. I live in central valley and have not experience a drop called, double texting, throttling, and have reliable 3g on my evo, before I sold it. I saw the coverage map (cricket), Stockton, and see a big patch with no service where my daughter goes to school- in Stockton. With metro, i have yet to experience a no service-from the bay, to so Cal to nor Cal- all reliable. So my question is, if there is a spot with no coverage on cricket- will it switch over to another carrier to get service? Anyone here is from Stockton that can provide their experience with cricket service on a flashed smartphone?
    If Cricket doesn't provide service there, your phone will roam on MetroPCS.

When I signed on today had a text message to take a survey which was also a contest for a months free service.

Anyway in the survey a lot of the questions pertain to ones thoughts on data/pricing/speed, if you get the message take the survey

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowslinger View Post
    When I signed on today had a text message to take a survey which was also a contest for a months free service.

Anyway in the survey a lot of the questions pertain to ones thoughts on data/pricing/speed, if you get the message take the survey
    I hope I get that text! I like surveys, especially if the company is going to take them into seriously consideration, which would mean I'm not wasting my time.

What else did the survey ask? Did it give you any hints on future offerings? I know sometimes the Virgin Mobile surveys can hint towards something.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information