Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

View Poll Results: Would you change Cricket's data plans or policies?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! (rather fed up with the way things are)

12 52.17%
  • No! (it is fine for me)

3 13.04%
  • Perhaps they could use improvement.

8 34.78%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Would you change Cricket's data plans?

Please chime in about your current thoughts regarding Cricket's Fair Use Policy (
    Cricket® Fair Use Policy | Cricket Wireless

).

Everyone will probably be affected by this in one way or the other. It does include broadband and cell phone users.

Realize that data usage costs cell phone providers a lot. Data over cellular networks is much different than DSL and cable for example. The resources required to carry this out are much more expensive than traditional broadband.

If you have a possible solution that will keep customers happy and allow Cricket to continue operating as a low cost carrier, please share it with us.

Other carriers have gone from unlimited to 5gb, some back to unlimited, but it seems that everyone is ready to crack down on usage again.

Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.

Phone
    Droid x

I believe cricket should have plan add ons that include 2, 5, 10 gig cap extention

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

I would definitely dish out some extra dollars for some extra bandwidth. Does anyone know if the $45 plan is ever capped?

Overall activity: 52.0%

I definitely think that they should bump up the cap to at least 2gb or more

I think Cricket should make the soft cap at 2 GB, and then throttle at 500 kbps. After 5 GB, they should change the throttle to 250 kbps. After 10 GB, they should then throttle to 100 kbps for the remainder of the billing cycle.

I think this would work. If Verizon Wireless still offers unlimited data without a problem, Cricket Wireless should be able to too. Sprint is having problems with their data, but I have a feeling that's from Virgin Mobile's $25/month Android plan, which doesn't have any restrictions until after 10 GB's.

What do you think of what I made up? Please note that it is for the Android plans. I'd need to come up with something different for the broadband plans.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    I think Cricket should make the soft cap at 2 GB, and then throttle at 500 kbps. After 5 GB, they should change the throttle to 250 kbps. After 10 GB, they should then throttle to 100 kbps for the remainder of the billing cycle.

I think this would work. If Verizon Wireless still offers unlimited data without a problem, Cricket Wireless should be able to too. Sprint is having problems with their data, but I have a feeling that's from Virgin Mobile's $25/month Android plan, which doesn't have any restrictions until after 10 GB's.

What do you think of what I made up? Please note that it is for the Android plans. I'd need to come up with something different for the broadband plans.
    I Give this 2 thumbs way up, couldn't put it better meself, I burn through the 1gb the first week of the month..

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggsbud View Post
    I Give this 2 thumbs way up, couldn't put it better meself, I burn through the 1gb the first week of the month..
    You should try posting on Cricket's Facebook to get their attention.

-Avenue

Phone
    Motorola Droid 2

Well, since I got the Android plan, I've been nowhere close to the data "cap". I'm perfectly fine with the way it is now, I have wi-fi at my home and I never have to worry about using too much data. I can also almost always connect to someone's AT&T when I'm out and about, so I'm not really worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by xlarkascendingx View Post
    Well, since I got the Android plan, I've been nowhere close to the data "cap". I'm perfectly fine with the way it is now, I have wi-fi at my home and I never have to worry about using too much data. I can also almost always connect to someone's AT&T when I'm out and about, so I'm not really worried about it.
    You're fine with the amount of data now, but more and more data intensive applications are coming out. So, you will be using more and more data. These devices are also getting more and more powerful and becoming more and more efficient. That means in the future you might be using a mobile device instead of your home computer. Cellular connections are also getting faster and faster, with HSPA+ and 4G LTE. With more speeds, users are going to want more data.

There are streaming radio applications, like TuneIn Radio, and then there is Netflix which is very data intensive. You can even download torrents on your phone now!

It's amazing what you can do. 3G is great, with speeds up to 1.4 Mbps on Cricket, and 4G will be even better. I really think Cricket could use some improvement when it comes to throttling.

Does anyone else have any comments on this topic?

Phone
    Droid 2

I agree with your previous thoughts. Especially with things like Pandora and Google Music being used regularly on my phone, I notice the cap was hit rather easily. Some kind of add-on where I could purchase an extra GB for 5-10$ would be great. That being said, even at 200kps or whatever the throttle is, as long as I get email I can do with slower speed.

Quote Originally Posted by xeromal View Post
    I agree with your previous thoughts. Especially with things like Pandora and Google Music being used regularly on my phone, I notice the cap was hit rather easily. Some kind of add-on where I could purchase an extra GB for 5-10$ would be great. That being said, even at 200kps or whatever the throttle is, as long as I get email I can do with slower speed.
    Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. I must say, this is one of the most interesting topics to me.

I think throttling needs to be revised. I think the following would be great: Soft Cap @ 2 GB, throttle @ 500 kbps. After 5 GB, throttle @ 250 kbps. After 10 GB, throttle @ 100 kbps.

$2 can be charged for each additional GB.

I also think tethering and WiFi Hotspot should be allowed. Check out the following thread and share your thoughts: http://www.cricketusers.com/general-...i-hotspot.html

Phone
    LG Optimus C

I personally do not like limits posed when I am paying $60 dollars a month. It's bad enough Cricket Wireless sells broadband devices, which by the way were meant to be always on connections, and posing restrictions that limit the user. I would say this, when Cricket decides to build their own 4G towers, include the phone protection plan free of charge, normally $5 bucks, and use that money for unlimited 4G networking and tethering. Also get rid of those broadband modems for $34 bucks a month because the cap limit is a joke. You figure most people hate paying the $5 extra bucks for a $55 dollar a month plan to be told you have to pay more money for a phone you lost, come on, thats unreal. Add the protection plan free and use the $5 bucks for the added cost of data.

Do the math. If there are over a million users paying $55 a month, plus $300 for a hot phone or tablet, and comes with free phone insurance, plus for $5 extra bucks a month. total of $60, you get unlimited 4G with no cap limit. WOW Virgin Mobile, lookout, Cricket in the house. Lets face it everyone, stop kidding yourself. Android is here to stay and it's going to be the future. Stop posing limits on yourself here. If enough people are willing to pay $5 or even $10 more a month for a deal like this, Cricket would stomp out the competition once in for all.

There are other ways to deliver data to the masses other than cell phone towers, lets not forget satellite communications here. If NASA, or some Japanese outfit was to launch a few satellite relays into orbit, just think of the possibilities here. You would eliminate most of the burden off of cell phone towers once in for all. Thats my two cents worth. peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
    I personally do not like limits posed when I am paying $60 dollars a month. It's bad enough Cricket Wireless sells broadband devices, which by the way were meant to be always on connections, and posing restrictions that limit the user. I would say this, when Cricket decides to build their own 4G towers, include the phone protection plan free of charge, normally $5 bucks, and use that money for unlimited 4G networking and tethering. Also get rid of those broadband modems for $34 bucks a month because the cap limit is a joke. You figure most people hate paying the $5 extra bucks for a $55 dollar a month plan to be told you have to pay more money for a phone you lost, come on, thats unreal. Add the protection plan free and use the $5 bucks for the added cost of data.

Do the math. If there are over a million users paying $55 a month, plus $300 for a hot phone or tablet, and comes with free phone insurance, plus for $5 extra bucks a month. total of $60, you get unlimited 4G with no cap limit. WOW Virgin Mobile, lookout, Cricket in the house. Lets face it everyone, stop kidding yourself. Android is here to stay and it's going to be the future. Stop posing limits on yourself here. If enough people are willing to pay $5 or even $10 more a month for a deal like this, Cricket would stomp out the competition once in for all.

There are other ways to deliver data to the masses other than cell phone towers, lets not forget satellite communications here. If NASA, or some Japanese outfit was to launch a few satellite relays into orbit, just think of the possibilities here. You would eliminate most of the burden off of cell phone towers once in for all. Thats my two cents worth. peace.

You make some good quality posts. I read this a couple times. You made some good points.

Cricket is working with Lightsquared for 4G in areas that Cricket doesn't have their own towers in. I read somewhere that phones that have 4G with Lightsqared can access satellites for rural coverage. So, like you said, there would be less of a load on the cell phone towers, and there would be coverage in very rural areas!

Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket

Wow good read. Like the idea for better data $5

Swyped from my Cricket Droid os 2.3.4 using Tapatalk

Hexley, you're saying the current plan, with 3G, should include insurance at the $55 rate, and for the 4G plan it should be an additional $5/month more (basically a 4G fee) and include insurance also?

That is actually a good idea. Cricket can be one of the only companies that include insurance in their rate plan!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information