Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Phone
    EVO 3D

Post [Tutorial]: How to upgrade EVO3D to Icecream Sandwich (ICS)

Flashing the HTC EVO3D to ICS (Android v 4.0)
    *Everything Working*

Obligatory Disclaimer -
    This software is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty. You take full responsibility for the usage of the software. I am not liable for anything that goes wrong with this Live CD, including, but not limited to, "bricked" (otherwise unusable) phones, or anything else that happens to your phone(s), computer(s), or anything else. You take full responsibility for your use of these tools.

Downloads needed:

HBOOT Downgrade Live CD:
    http://n0ne.net/xda/HBOOT_Downgrade_Toolkit_0.7.0.iso

InfectedRom 3.5 CDMA:
    Directory listing for www.androidfilehost.com/main/EVO_3D_Developers/Virus/Eternity/Buildbox/3.5/

ICSense-Deck-0.1 Rom:
    Dev-Host - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Stock 1.13 Radio 0.97:
    Goo.im Downloads - Downloading RUU_Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_1.13.651.7_Radio_0.97.10. 0530_NV_NV_SPCS_1.16_release_198109_signed.exe

Getting Started:

First off if you have done the HTCDev Unlock method you need to begin by relocking your phone.
    If you want to run the command from your sdk-developer you can run:
    fastboot oem lock
    if you cannot run the command you may not have:

• The Android-sdk
    • JDK
    • The proper drivers installed

You can boot into the Downgrade Took Kit and re-lock the phone from the menu.

Bricking the Phone:
    • Place the PG86IMG.zip on the root of your SDCard
    • Boot into your bootloader (Vol down + Power)
    • Make sure fastboot is off in the power options if you cannot get into the bootloader, with each and every flash you must turn it off again.

It will install the 2.17 installer (if it does not autorun and you see fastboot highlighted select it by pressing power)
    • After it runs the verifications press Vol Up as requested to install 2.17
    • Once that finishes reboot back into the bootloader

Here is where you will intentionally brick your phone:
    *This is unknownforce showing you the bricking*

Run the 2.17 RUU again, except this is where you will brick the phone like in the above video.
    Wait for the Install begin count to 5 fast! Then plug it back in fast! (My light did not appear on one phone)
    Note: This part can be difficult and you have to have exact timing. One phone I got the first try, the next it took a bunch of times.
    Leave the battery out of your phone. Don't plug it in yet!

Using the Live CD:

• Download found here
      http://n0ne.net/xda/HBOOT_Downgrade_Toolkit_0.7.0.iso

• Next bootup the HBOOT Downgrade Kit
    • Start the downgrade by select short command 'd'
    • Place the cover back on the phone if its easier for you to select the momentary buttons
    • Hold Vol Down while connecting the phone to the USB port as directed to on screen

screen1.png
    If it is not detecting the phone, it is not bricked properly. Try to brick it again.

Tip: When your pull the phone back through again let it sit on the PG86IMG for awhile before you go to brick it.

• It will ask you to remove the phone a few times and press enter
    • Let the script run for awhile make sure it is finished, it should give you options when its complete.

You can insert your battery back into the phone now. Reboot into Windows and Go to the sdcard of your phone and rename or remove PG86IMG.zip to something else, then run the 1.13 RUU EXE (link located in list above).

Download your ROMS:
    You now want to download InfectedRom from here:

Directory listing for www.androidfilehost.com/main/EVO_3D_Developers/Virus/Eternity/Buildbox/3.5/

and the ICS ROM from here:

Dev-Host - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

When that's done, reboot back into the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit and power on your phone.

Installing Revolutionary for S-OFF and Clockwork MOD

Run Revolutionary from the menu.
    You'll be required to input your beta code from the Revolutionary website.

Revolutionary

Select download Linux cancel the download then fill out the form below selecting HBOOT 1.4
    All characters are case-sensitive
    It will give you beta key to insert then process, again its case sensitive.

screen2.png

• Once thats done reboot back into the bootloader.
    • You will notice -Revolutionary- at the top of the bootloader
    • S-OFF is now active by now as well. This does not root your phone we will do that later.
    • Now in the bootloader connect the phone again and run the Clockwork mod short command from the Downgrade 7.0 Toolkit.

Install ICS, InfectedROM then ICS again!

• Select recovery on the phone by selecting recovery.
    • Factory Rest the data, dalvik cache, etc.
    • Install ICS this will break any phone programming you had on the phone, so we will need to run through CDMA workshop and QPST again, but not yet.
    • Go though the setup of the phone but dont get to comfortable with it yet, we got to flash infectedROM now.
    • Turn fastboot off, and go back into the bootloader and flash infectedROM.

Note: ICS will not work with obtaining SPC that why we go this route.

Once Infected ROM is installed, obtain your SPC, and modify it or note it then install ICS again. I know it seems redundent but this is the path I took in order to succeed.

Do not reprogram the phone for the network yet, do it once you are in the second ICS flash.

Using your SPC turn on Diagmode with the SPC and reprogram the phone

Reprogramming the Phone:

You can refer to Chrisngrod's flashing tutorial here,

or skip to minute 9 in my video here:

The tutorial goes over everything but guides it through a HBOOT 1.5. After 9:00 it is CDMAWS and QPST.

Root the Phone:

Now lets install SuperUser to root the phone. Install the SuperUser.zip attached. The attached version was written for CM9 (ICS) but will work with any ICS ROM. Other versions may not work.

Picture Messaging:

ICS no longer allows you to use APN's. The call to the user ID, group and service fail, even if you alter the permissions. So in order to use picture messaging just manually enter them in ##DATA# under the Advanced > MMSC settings at the very bottom.

I always kind of wondered why entering the data directly was not the method to the madness.

Code:
    Name: Production
    MMSC: http://mms.mycricket.com/servlets/mms
    No Proxy
    MMS Port: 8080
    WAP: v2

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cnewman402; 05-07-2012 at 09:12 AM.

2. Remove this advertisement.

Phone
    EVO 3D

Adding in used this thread today to successfully downgrade to HBOOT 1.4.1100 today:

[TOOL] HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit Live CD - Free Your Phone. S-OFF. - xda-developers

*finally had time to do it*

Ran Revolutionary successfully and now have a truly rooted HTC EVO 3D w/ the latest CWMR

-=No more worrying about Kernels not flashing, etc.=-

Phone
    EVO 3D

Moved over to ICS today and got most everything working. I will keep this thread updated on progress and paths.

After downgrading the HBOOT, the RUU you ran broke all of your phone programming. You can use the guide here Chrisngrod wrote, or YouTube my tutorial:

HBOOT 1.5 HTC EVO 3D Sprint to Cricket ROM - YouTube

That link takes you to the 9:00 mark where you connect the phone if you want to skip driver installation etc. Otherwise start the video from the beginning. The tutorial goes over everything but guides it through a HBOOT 1.5. After 9:00 it is CDMAWS and QPST.

Going directly into ICS with no SPC will leave you lost, so for now temporarily flash infected ROM (be sure to wipe all cahce, user data/settings, etc before each ROM install!)

Infected ROM:

☆ ★ | ROM | InfectedROM Eternity™ | RLS_1.5 | NIGHTLYS | 3.0 & 3.5 | XE BEATS | ★ ☆ - xda-developers

Edit your SPC in this ROM or the ROM of your choice before moving over to ICS. Now boot back into recovery and flash up some tasty ICS!

ICS ROM:

[ROM][ICS][Sense][4.0.3][5-4-12] icsense-deck-0.1 [0.1] - xda-developers

Still working on APN editing. It needs to be installed as a system app, ill be back to update later when I get there...

Just wanted to add in that ICS is totally worth the work. I look at my phone at it unlocks by biometric face recognition, how cool is that. Biometrics is just one of the perks so far. Soon ill go over unlocking the second core of the EVO3D, and what performance difference it makes on the CDMA version.

Last edited by cnewman402; 05-07-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Phone
    EVO 3D

To use root in the ICS you want to use this specific Super User attachment. The attached version was written for CM9 (ICS) but will work with any ICS ROM.

I also have Picture Messaging working. ICS no longer allows you to use APN's. The call to the user ID, group and service fail, even if you alter the permissions. So in order to use picture messaging just manually enter them in ##DATA# under the Advanced > MMSC settings at the very bottom.

I always kind of wondered why entering the data directly was not the method to the madness.

Code:
    Name: Production
    MMSC: 
    http://mms.mycricket.com/servlets/mms

No Proxy MMS Port: 8080 WAP: v2
    Next i'll move onto the CPU unlock, and show you the graphs if I can upload...

Attached Files Attached Files

Phone
    EVO 3D

Dual Core Hack doesn't make a huge difference for me in the ROM im using, but it does make a difference.

[MOD]- ICS - Dual CPU | HUGE performance increase - Page 5 - xda-developers

I just used the attached file, used Root Explorer to change permissions, and Terminal Emulator to run the chgrp command

cd /system/etc
    chgrp 2000 init.qcom.post_boot.sh

I also did not rm the two requested files in the system, I just renamed them .old

Note: On my second phone, and bricking can be hard to get on some phones. My first one bricked out right away, the second one took me over 5 tries. Anyone else trying this? It's worth it.

Last edited by cnewman402; 05-06-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Thread Information