Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 3.0%

Android Messaging app

Hello,

I've researched this for a while today but did not find conclusive information.

I have a Nexus S 4G that I had flashed for Cricket at a store in 2011. I have been using it with Android 3.7.2 since that time and was told to use the "Android Messaging" app for Text/MMS.

I just had the phone updated with 4.1.1 and I'd really like to get rid of that app. The stock app is now much better and the other one is really dated and apparently can't be upgraded as it's not up for download anywhere. In addition, it doesn't seem to be able to access the contact info very well after the upgrade (names and photos).

I could ignore it, leave it in the background, and use the stock one instead for texting, it plays much better with the new notification system, perhaps going into the Android Messaging one just to get the MMS to download, but I don't want the double notifications, and I am not able to get into the settings for the app as it just crashes when I try to.

If I just remove it, I don't think the stock app will even be able to download the MMS by itself.

So, given that the phone is already flashed by Cricket and everything else is working fine, is there something not too crazy that I could do to get the stock app to deal with MMS and get rid of the Android Messaging app?

Thanks!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Have you tried GoSMS Pro? It's free on the Play Store.

I'm sure if you give us until the 7th, we can also get you a messaging app from the TW GS3 JB update that may work for you

Also, have you gone into Settings > Apps and cleared the data of that specific app you're referring to?

Stephen,

I had a look at GoSMS but haven't tried it. I was hoping to just being able to use the stock app. I like its integration and it's not an extra app (one of the reasons why I like having a phone with the vanilla Android). It just does what I need and looks nice. But would GoSMS allow me to actually get rid of the "Android Messaging" app? Last thing I want is 3 of them

I wasn't aware of the thing happening on the 7th but that sounds nice

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Ooops, I just tried the clear data option on the Android Messaging app, and now it tells me that it cannot validate my phone...

Alright, tried GoSMS pro and it won't send or download MMS. I'm guessing I would need to know the manual MMS settings for Cricket on the Nexus S 4G. Does anyone have those?

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

http://www.cricketusers.com/f64/%5Btutorial%5D-full-flash-sprint-nexus-s-4g-cricket-talk-text-mms-internet-9591/#post14904

Also try these

http://www.cricketusers.com/f36/ics-mms-apns-droid-x-cricket-30517-post61918/

A few posts after that I also found actual APN settings besides the forced ones in GoSMS

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Stephen Proffitt; 04-05-2013 at 12:28 AM.
    My work on the CDMA Cricket S3 and S4 are now obsolete. Thanks for all the support when I was actively working on them!

Feel free to PM me only after you've posted on the forums.

If you need to buy something from Ebay, please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Thanks. No cigar on the GoSMS settings. It seems like it just stays there, no sending. As for the APN stuff, I haven't yet figured out if it's an easy change or involved, as this might actually take more time than the time I'll spend sending or receiving MMS in a month or more. Wondering if I'll just accept this to not work until I can get a service other than Cricket...

I am using Go SMS on a ZTE Sequent for Boost Mobile that is flashed to Cricket. In the Go SMS settings go to the MMS settings and fill in the following APN configuration. MMSC=
    http://mms.mycricket.com/mycricket/mms.php

And then on the MMS Port= 8080 Hope that helps some. Make sure you ain't on wifi, or it won't work. At least it doesn't for me. Have to be on Cricket data

Thread Information