Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Official Android 4.0.4 (IMM76D) OTA For Sprint Nexus S 4G - No Wipe Required

SOURCE:
    Android Police

Download And Install The Official Android 4.0.4 (IMM76D) OTA For Sprint Nexus S 4G - No Wipe Required

Posted by
    Artem Russakovskii

in
    News

Nexus S 4G (Crespo4g)

Samsung

Sprint

Five days ago,
    Sprint announced

that the Ice Cream Sandwich OTA was finally ready for the
    Nexus S 4G

, but many of you still haven't received the update prompt. Yesterday,
    Google released the full OS image for the NS4G

, but installing it does a full wipe, which may not be ideal for those just itching to upgrade.

Fortunately, the OTA link on Google's servers was finally
    found

today by a number of AC forum members, which means you no longer have to wait for Sprint/Google and instead update your Nexus on your own. Since the OTA file contains the full OS image, including recovery and radio, rather than an incremental update from a specific version, you should be able to update no matter what you're currently running on your phone (feel free to point out otherwise in the comments).

Download (143MB):

MD5: 801f872eb16df581d696e6340e402c4c

Installation Instructions:

1. Download the update file and rename it to update.zip (make sure it's named update.zip and not update.zip.zip if you're using Windows and have it set to hide file extensions).
    2. Move the file to your phone's /sdcard directory using your favorite method - the easiest way is probably mounting the phone as disk using a USB cable.
    3. Reboot your phone and when it starts booting back up, hold Volume Up + Power.
    4. Select Recovery.
    5. The phone will reboot into recovery but first it'll show an exclamation point and a triangle. At this point, mash the Power and Volume Up buttons a few times until the recovery screen shows up.
    6. Select Apply sdcard update.zip, which should start the update process.
    7. Reboot and enjoy Android 4.0.4.

Image via
    Muffinabus

Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    Nexus S 4G

I'm assuming that this won't work on rooted phones? And to unroot requires a wipe, anyway? Is there any way to skip the unrooting step and flash an updated ROM? if I have to wipe the data anyway I'd rather just do one step if I can.

Thats a Good Question Because I Had a Custom ICS Rom Of It And It Worked For A Little Bit And Then My Phone Stopped Booting Up I Had to Keep Doing Battery Pulls And So Fourth But I Would Love To Have The OFFICAL Version Of It So Chrisngrod Have You Tried This Update on a Rooted Phone And If I Was To Unroot And Go Back to Stock Would I Have to Reprogram Everything On the Phone And Pay The 7.50 For A ESN Change Again?

Phone
    Nexus S 4G

My phone is rooted, the ota update kept bothering me to reboot and install, so I finally tried it. Nothing, it doesn't work. The phone is the same. Looking for another solution.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by yungblacdarippa View Post
    Thats a Good Question Because I Had a Custom ICS Rom Of It And It Worked For A Little Bit And Then My Phone Stopped Booting Up I Had to Keep Doing Battery Pulls And So Fourth But I Would Love To Have The OFFICAL Version Of It So Chrisngrod Have You Tried This Update on a Rooted Phone And If I Was To Unroot And Go Back to Stock Would I Have to Reprogram Everything On the Phone And Pay The 7.50 For A ESN Change Again?
    @Trick, sometimes rooting doesn't allow for updates.

@yung, you won't have to change the ESN on file for your account again because nothing changes your ESN except for deliberate hacking which is illegal.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    Nexus S 4G

Can anyone point me to a walkthrough of an unrooting tutorial? Preferably one directed at someone who needs basic explanation, I don't automatically know some of the terminology and folder/file locations.

OR if anyone knows where or when we could hope for a rooted friendly update? Thanks.

Orrrrr if anyone wants to help walk me through unrooting... :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) I'm smart I swear I just need direction
    Last edited by Trick; 04-14-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Thread Information