Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

what's up with the wireless tethering???

Man I already pay for Internet and my phone but now they want to charge me extra for what I already pay for?? What gives them the rite and why do they care how I use my net, I mean they already give you a small amount of net and slow it down and now they want to just throw in a extra fee for something I already had. Im Furious!

Sent from my X500 using Tapatalk

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

it would be cool if they gave you free tethering when you bundle broadband and your phone. Cricket is just profiting like any other mobile provider, i can't think of any that offer tethering ability at no extra charge.

If you want free tethering, check out Ting. They think just like you.. If you're paying for data, they don't care how it is used.

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Hewitt View Post
    Man I already pay for Internet and my phone but now they want to charge me extra for what I already pay for?? What gives them the rite and why do they care how I use my net, I mean they already give you a small amount of net and slow it down and now they want to just throw in a extra fee for something I already had. Im Furious!

What gives them the right? Seriously?
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Yeah the comment what gives them the right is going far. They do outline what they are giving you. Tethering is not part of that without the add on.

It's similar to buying music. Does that necessarily give you the right to distribute it? How about software?

Allowing tethering can actually pose a huge problem. It tends to cause increased usage of a limited resource. So when the people who aren't tethering get upset that their speeds are even slower, this could cause them to leave. The losses hurt the carrier financially. Less money and a need to improve cellular infrastructure due to the data issues.... Sounds like a problem. There are consumers that will always try to ignore how a business stays in business.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner
    Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 01-18-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Replace tether with gas and data with car.
    If im already paying for the car why do I have to buy the gas? Same thing, different example

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk

What's the difference between me wanting to use the net on my phone or computer im already paying for it, I think it's just a way to slap more fees on the user. because if you go over the limit it slows down the net to save bandwidth anyways. Just don't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Hewitt View Post
    What's the difference between me wanting to use the net on my phone or computer im already paying for it, I think it's just a way to slap more fees on the user. because if you go over the limit it slows down the net to save bandwidth anyways. Just don't make sense to me.

The more data you use, the more it can cost Cricket. Chances are, if you connect your phone to your computer for Internet access, you're going to end up using more data than you would have with just the phone. Cricket is charging $10 for this. So, you use more data, that costs them more money, and you need to give them another $10 per month to go towards upgrading their network, handling the capacity issues, etc. If you and ten other people are all tethering, it's going to slow the network down for everyone. Eventually they're going to need to invest money to improve the network, or people will start complaining that it is slow all the time.

Try to find out what Verizon Wireless charges for tethering. I thought it was $30 per month, but I'm not sure. If it is $30 per month, that's three times what Cricket is charging. Plus, with Cricket, you don't need to worry about overages.

What does upset me is that it used to be free. It technically wasn't included, but they didn't block it. This can be upsetting for people who have used the service for a year or so and now all of a sudden are supposed to get charged for it.

Also, you said that you think it should be included for what you're paying. You're paying for data, you should be able to use it however you like. That does make sense, but if a lot of people are tethering, that is going to cost Cricket money, like I said earlier. Would you rather them charge those who want to tether $10 per month, or would you rather them raise EVERYONE'S bill to $60 per month? Either way, Cricket would get the money. But, I'm sure a lot more people would be upset if they had to pay $60/month instead of $55 just so Cricket can afford to include tethering (a service that not everyone will be using).

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    <snip>.....What does upset me is that it used to be free. It technically wasn't included, but they didn't block it. This can be upsetting for people who have used the service for a year or so and now all of a sudden are supposed to get charged for it.

<snip>.
    The list of things in life that used to be free, but now cost money is longer the the time available to post it.
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Phone
    Mercury M886

I got the nasty Diversion Page ....so I thought 'OK I'm willing to pay another $10 for tethering' the young lady I spoke with 800-cricket, told me it wasn't guaranteed to work on any machine other the Ascend II or the ZTE Score (I think the Score but I'm not sure) what's up with that??

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    The list of things in life that used to be free, but now cost money is longer the the time available to post it.
    Yeah, unfortunately..

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by Sport View Post
    I got the nasty Diversion Page ....so I thought 'OK I'm willing to pay another $10 for tethering' the young lady I spoke with 800-cricket, told me it wasn't guaranteed to work on any machine other the Ascend II or the ZTE Score (I think the Score but I'm not sure) what's up with that??
    Cricket doesn't guarantee a lot of features. They don't guarantee anything with flashed phones and sometimes they tell you that stuff won't work. Anyways I'd give it a shot and then take it off if it doesn't work.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    Mercury M886

The Tethering upgrade isn't even an opton in my Market@"MyCricket.com" and I'm growing weary of having to visit a store everytime I want some upgrade; as they beat me up, trying to sell me stuff I don't want or need. No wonder the independants get a bad name;
    "do what I want and I'll be back; bully me and I'll talk about you"
    (and hopefully find a better resource)

The Store I generally use was out of the Merc so I went to another. I had an issue with the receipt (Stated that I bought a Blackberry Curve) ...long story but they assured me the machine; for Warranty/Insurance purposes; was linked to the account and not necessarily the receipt; I hope so, if it comes to that. Otherwise the wraith of ...well MY wraith will echo across the land!!!!
    Last edited by Sport; 01-19-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Overall activity: 2.0%

Yeah they finally caught on to it. I think they can only tell if youre using your android native hotspot/teathering that comes in the wireless and networks menu. I downloaded pdanet and it works again, give it a try!

Thread Information