Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Unlocking Cell Phones Will Become Illegal this Weekend - OzarksFirst.com

Name:  320x240.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  19.5 KB

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Starting Sunday, January 26, it will be illegal to unlock your new cell phone.

You can thank the Library of Congress for that, which made the change through the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

According to the U.S. Copyright Office, "only a consumer, who is also the owner of the copy of software on the handset under the law, may unlock the handset."

You'll still be able to buy unlocked phones from carriers like AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile, or you can pay the retail price through the phone's maker. "Jailbreaking," in which users can expand a phone's software abilities, is not targeted by the change.

The law is meant to prevent users from turning to a third party for an unlock code. Wireless Trendz in Springfield says it will continue to provide unlock codes for customers who purchased their smartphones prior to January 26.

"We are not particularly pleased with the new law and we think it will dramatically effect the consumer and small prepaid phone service providers in a negative way," says owner Jason Mohler. "Perhaps even putting some smaller pre-paid carriers out of business and resulting in a loss of jobs."

Mohler says the change will impact Cricket, Page Plus, H2O, Red Pocket, Simple Mobile, Solavei, and all other GSM prepaid carriers. However, he hopes the new law will be challenged; if not, the law is up for review every three years.

"Perhaps something will change at that time," adds Mohler. "Until then, we really don't have any choice but to comply."
    Last edited by knewsom32; 01-24-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    Cricket Users' Free Android App - Read, post, and more from your Android device!

Find a phone to flash to Cricket!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone Whore(;
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Apple iPhone 5

Well, it's a good thing we don't unlock phones to put them on Cricket.... So technically, it's not illegal... Right...?
    *Please PM me ONLY if you have posted in the forum, and I have not replied. Thank you.*

Wanna know how I became a SuperMod?? I got engaged to the creator of the site. (;

Find devices to flash to Cricket here (refine the search to find the phone model you desire).
    Feel free to donate so we can get more devices to write tutorials on!
    GreenK45 - Automatic proxy setup (u2nl/autostart) for Android flashed phone users on the $45 plan. Now available on the Android Market!

Re: Unlocking Cell Phones Will Become Illegal this Weekend - OzarksFirst.com

Seems to only be to unlock a gsm phone. A cdma phone would not be affected I hope... I have a Razr on Cricket. Uses cdma.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Bottom line, no matter the term used, or phone type, or technical issue, they mean a phone made for carrier "A" cannot be used for carrier "B" without carrier "A"'s permission. Its impossible to enforce unless carriers forbid all phones not "branded or made" for them, IMO.

sent from my rotory phone.

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

This is gonna get "interesting" real quick. I read elsewhere that there's a 90 day grace period from the time a phone is purchased (after the 26th) before action from carrier "A" can be taken...

sent from a Galaxy SIII near you

Gold Member

This weekend is the end of that 90 day grace period. All this came down 90 days ago. There is another thread about it.

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

No more grace period after this weekend.

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

My bad... Reading is fundamental :beer:

sent from a Galaxy SIII near you

So my used Verizon Droid Razr off Craigslist and flashing to Cricket or my future Note 2 flashed to Cricket may not work? This is very concerning and I don't get how this has any grasp in Congress other than bs lobbying by the big 3 bc they make money by selling the phones cheap and getting a killing on service locked in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by ironcitymz3 View Post
    So my used Verizon Droid Razr off Craigslist and flashing to Cricket or my future Note 2 flashed to Cricket may not work? This is very concerning and I don't get how this has any grasp in Congress other than bs lobbying by the big 3 bc they make money by selling the phones cheap and getting a killing on service locked in.
    As i read it, any phone already on crickets system as of this weekend is good to go. After this weekend cricket may or may not activate other carrier phones. They may begin a policy forbidding it like they did the IPhones. They may allow phones built pre-jan26th to be activated but deny post-jan26th built phones. Thats "may" not "will", no one knows yet.

.....read the other thread and i agree, its BS lobbying.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Again this DOESNT MAKE IT ILLEGAL
    Wow. People need to understand what this really does.
    All this does is revert the law they put in place 3 years ago that PROTECTS THE END user from service providers suing them.

It doesn't make it illegal
    It simply now allows if a carrier so does chose they can take legal action against you.
    You can still win in court.

Seriously people need to understand it and specifically the MEDIA needs to do more research before jumping and posting stupid articles that make false claims

* My small chit chat

FLASHING WILL NOT BE ILLEGAL DAMN PEOPLE. It reverts to the same law it was 3 years ago, NO LAW. There is nothing forcing a carrier to have to unlock the device and there now isn't a law preventing a carrier to seek legal actions against people who do
    unlock there phone. This news media **** is just that ****ing stupid. All they did was revert the law they put in place 3 years ago PROTECTING the end user from service providers. Allowing them to unlock there phone by
    specifically stating it was legal. It has just been removed and reverting it back to the gray area its not illegal. It's still legal but there is nothing to protect you against virgin mobile or other carriers now.
    THey have the right now to prosecute you if they so choose to.

This was the same thing that happened to dealers buying virgin mobile phones in bulk and flashing them.
    Virgin mobile lost a ton of money on this and they were able to come up with a new legal action stating only 3 devices may be purchased at any 1 time but this heavily relayed on the stores to execute it and hardly any did.
    This now gives Virgin Mobile a chance to go after these heavy buyers who do not use the phones on there serivce
    hey subsidized the phone to sell at 19.99 because they will make there money back on the service, they can not make money back on that service if you never use the phone on there service.
    If you do the math, virign mobile on a avrg users gets there money back for that phone in less then 4 weeks
    Last edited by amoamare; 01-25-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Gold Member

This is out there in the internet ether and how is anyone going track millions of "approved unlocked phones" for years across multiple carriers?

"Consumers can buy phones unlocked at full price. Or they can get their phones unlocked if their carriers permit it. AT&T, for example, will unlock an iPhone at a customerís request if his contract is up and his account is in good standing."

Overall activity: 1.0%

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-insp...2012-26308.pdf

http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2012/77fr65260.pdf

Read...

I beleive flashing is going to be "illegal" also. I believe those are the same documents, I am still reading them.

Overall activity: 1.0%

What that says, from what I understand in the Library of Congress, in the above post. When we purchase the phone we don't own the software on the device. That is why we can non redistribute it.

So, isn't Android covered under the Apache License 2.0 and GPLv2?

Free to edit and redistribute as we please right?

Does anyone else see a contradiction?

Apple, RIM, and other devices who use proprietary OS I can understand. Yes they are copyrighted by those companies. If they don't want us to "edit" the software or firmware I can understand that.
    Last edited by saiyaneye; 01-27-2013 at 01:06 PM.

More details at the link below. It might help to email your congressman with this your opinion and sign the petition that is mentioned int the thread below.

http://www.fatwallet

dot com /forums/deal-discussion/1253263/

Thread Information